Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limiting teenagers internet access.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

May I suggest that people ease up on the judgmental-ness? When someone comes honestly asking for help, it's not the time to leap up on our soapboxes, really. The OP has now found a summer camp, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The OP came looking for help on Internet access, which is not the real issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

I'm not judging anyone - what I'm concerned about is the statement (in a leaflet published by the Dept. of Justice etc.,) that it is "against the law" to leave a child under 16 alone.

This is incorrect - there is no such law.

I rec'd a letter today from the agency responsible for the booklet which was quoted in an earlier post by RainyDay and which stated that it was "against the law" to leave a child under 16 unattended...they have confirmed that their information in this regard is incorrect and the booklet has been amended to reflect the correct position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sorry if this is off topic. Nesf, would you not agree that getting up in the middle of the night solely to use the internet implies a level of addiction? If a child was to get up to watch tv or play a video game etc. in the middle of the night, I'd also consider them addicted. Looking at what the OP said, I don't think the idea that the girl in question might be addicted to the internet is scaremongering.

OP - congrats on getting it all relatively sorted out! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Kildrought wrote:
    I rec'd a letter today from the agency responsible for the booklet which was quoted in an earlier post by RainyDay and which stated that it was "against the law" to leave a child under 16 unattended...they have confirmed that their information in this regard is incorrect and the booklet has been amended to reflect the correct position.
    Seems strange that they would leave the old, incorrect version still up on their website if a new version is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

anti wrote:
    Both of us hold down full time jobs, and she is on her summer holiday, and is almost 14, so she is able to manage the day by herself, she does some washing up, laundry, and makes her little sister dinner. Its just a little issue now because she is lying about when shes on it, and gets up in the middle of th night to go on it.

Had that idea peter, but could not find any software, but thanks for the reply.

cheers for that link paconnors. much obliged :)

She's home alone all day AND minding a little sister????

Get an Au-pair!

Rainyday, Are you querying my post or the lack of efficiency of some Govt. Agencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Kildrought wrote:
    Rainyday, Are you querying my post or the lack of efficiency of some Govt. Agencies?

Could yourself and Rainy Day either start a new topic, or do this through PMs, please? It's like people arguing around you in a pub - unpleasant and unnecessary.

• Off topic, but is it not the norm for teenagers to do loads of housework in the holidays WITHOUT getting paid? I could never find a job so from the ages 12-18 was home every summer and my parents expected me to clean all the bathrooms, kitchen, hang out washing, ironing etc. I did the whole family's ironing when I was 12. My mum kept saying she wasn't doing it all after work when I was home all day long, and I couldn't really argue although I did feel pretty used and maid like. She always said I was spoiled rotten and everyone else's kids did way more. While I don't believe that, I thought chores were normal. I certainly wouldnt expect to be paid for hanging out a bit of washing and making my sibling's dinner, sure I'm part of the family as well?

Shocked at the people thinking it's unreasonable to leave a 14 year old as well; I was left since I turned 13 with my younger siblings, what's wrong with that? We had an au pair after the summer of my first year of secondary school and I felt totally babied, all my friends were left alone. Sure, plenty of girls of 14 are BEING the childminders for other people's kids.

• Advertisement

I don't recall arguing with anyone? I asked a question in regards to a post as I am not sure of the point being made - seems quite reasonable to me; will be pleased to get a reply when RainyDay gets the opportunity.

Advertisement