Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finalised rig - Critique needed!

Options
  • 26-06-2006 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Ok, so ive been set on an AM2 rig as i was hoping for something semi-decent to last me for about 6 months before i switched to conroe/k8l. However, recent reading and komplett stock changes have led me to settle upon the following specification, which i was hoping i might get some feedback on:

CPU: Intel Pentium D805 €120
    MoBo: Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi €233
    Memory: Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 PC6400 (4-4-4-12) €263
    GFX: Sapphire Radeon X1900XT 512MB €381

Case: Antec P160 €105
    PSU: Tagan Easycon 580W €133
    HDD: 2xSamsung 250GB Spinpoint €150
    DVD-RW: NEC ND 3550-A €38
    Mouse: Logitech MX-518 €48
    Monitor: Viewsonic VX-2025 €447

Rounded a few of the sterling prices up, but it works out at a not too bad €1988 including delivery (Split the order between OCUK and Komplett, worked out cheaper and wider choice)

Im going with the 805 as a temporary stop-gap solution so i can go conroe in 3-4 months with little loss incurred (thus the disproportionate cpu/mobo combination)

Is this all compatible, ive heard there are bios problems with the asus at the moment, they are awaiting updates but i think the complaints centre around overclocking which i wont be doing for a while.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

sweet build man cant fault it.hope you get a good overclock you wc the cpu and gpu or air ??

and also are you not paying vat because it does not seem you including it. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

bah, intially i wont overclock as i really dont know how and will probably end up turning it into an expensive toaster!

Its the board im not sure about, i think the asus has had problems, but the intel dfi isnt so great either (apparently!).

As soon as i know a conroe is in the mail, ill start looking into guilt-free overclocking, i just wouldnt have the scrotes with a new rig

Just saw ur second line there:checking.......yeah VAT is included, the OCUK prices i converted from the little "including VAT" line and komplett is ticked for "including VAT"....have u ordered from these guys before? Does stuff arrive in one piece or is it tossed out of a van (Im getting the cheapest possible delivery for each order)

komplett and ocuk are good.that procceser is DOG slow if you dont overclock it the reason why everone likes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

That processor will be an absolute dog and hold your pc back if un-overclocked. 2.66 GHz ? 2001 called and want their processors back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

awhir wrote:
    komplett and ocuk are good that procceser is DOG slow if you dont overclock it that why everone likes it so its mandatory to overclock it right na only joking but it is very slow at stock speed.

commas, punctuation? :eek: lol

I know I'm one to talk but.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I think if i was to upgrade i would hang on for a month and c the intel chips before i would upgrade. Maybe then you might change your mind or maybe stick with what you have posted here. But hanging on for one month wont hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Personally Id als say to wait and pick up a Conroe 6600, that way u have decent stock perfeormcnce and can ease yourself into overclocking. Cause with this set u HAVE to OC straight away, and Id personally go for the DFI board, more stable and they always have faults but I an never fault them.
    As for conroe remember youll need a BadAxe or one of the Asus Digital Home boards.

fixed :D i hope.

Advertisement