Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saxo VTS or 206 Gti...

Options
  • 26-06-2006 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Which would you buy, no post saying neither please ;)

Anyine driven both cars or either of them and have any opinions on which is better/more fun?

Edit: 137Bhp Gti not the 180

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

206gti...If i had to choose between those two

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I would def go for the saxo, far better handling and quicker car then the 206 gti. Cheaper to tax aswell 1.6 vs 2.0.
    Have you thought about a 106 gti?
    Basically the same car as a saxo vts but looks better, I have had two 106gti's over the years, great little cars and I found them to be very reliable.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Neilw wrote:
    I would def go for the saxo, far better handling and quicker car then the 206 gti. Cheaper to tax aswell 1.6 vs 2.0.
    Have you thought about a 106 gti?
    Basically the same car as a saxo vts but looks better, I have had two 106gti's over the years, great little cars and I found them to be very reliable.

Neil.

106 GTi is supposed to be a little gem of a car, the 206 (especially the older one with less BHP) is a bit luke warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I owned one of the first 206 GTi's in the country and loved it. I added a K&N replacement filter and an ecotek widget which both removed the flat spot at about 5500rpm. Made it a brilliant car.

Regardless of what anyone says of this being a lukewarm car, it's anything but. It still flies and power is one thing you won't be lacking. In terms of creature comforts and a car you can live with, buy the 206. Saxo is a bit bargain basement for me, although a fine car all the same.

I'd have to agree with others too....106 GTi is an amazing car to drive and looks brilliant. Far too miserable inside though to live with.

If possible, buy one with climate control/air conditioning. The 206 suffers from "cold" air being heated. Makes it miserable on a hot day when warm air is the coolest air you can get. I solved this problem by buying a 206 CC with the same engine as the GTi. Might be a hairdressers car, but I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

106Gtis are overpriced I think, €8k for a 99 compared to €7k for an 01 vts.

I know the vts/106 is quicker and better handling etc.. but like AlanD said the interior and extras is minimal to the 206 which come with half leather, cd changer, traction control, deadlocks etc.. as standard.

206 has more 'sleeper' quality too, stick 1litre badges on it and nobody would even look twice at it.

Gonna go have a look at a 206 tomorrow morning and a vts on wednesday and decide then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Go Pug. Less chav.

Go Pug. Less chav.

Very true, saxo is only one step above a Glanza imo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Saxo VTS, just as quick, cheaper tax and insurance, handles better imo.

120 bhp and 935 kg versus 137 bhp and 1150 kg!

106 GTI is the same although the Saxo VTS is cheaper to get insurance on for some strange reason, I think the Saxo is higher insurance group in the UK aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd see the 106 as slightly less of a pikey-mobile than the Saxo

Going to view both of them tomorrow morning, leaning towards the 206 as is has shed more torque than the saxo and more comforts like leather seats and aircon.

The 106 is less chavish than the saxo, 206 is less chavish than either of them imo.

• Advertisement

The 206 won't give you the same back to basics driving experience that made the 205 and MK1 Golf GTI so great, the 206 will be a bit more grown up, but easier to live with day to day.

True, and thats peoples biggest problem with them. But all newer hot/luke warm hatches are moving more towards comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would go with the Peugeot 206 GTi myself. Pretty rare over here but most examples are less likely to have been modified due to the higher tax and insurance costs. Plus what you said already it doesn't have "steal me" written all over it.

Here are a few nice examples:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=440495
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=453445
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=451562
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=380942

Make sure you find a comfortable drving position as I have heard this one of the 206s weak points.

Also I know you didn't mention it but did you consider a Polo GTi?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=420316
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=429532

Not as well equipped as the 206 though.

Or a cheaper outsider:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=328712

Punto HGT handles like a bus though, very quick. the first really quick car I ever drove!

considered the HGT, I was put off after reading that the timing variator is a VERY common and quite expensive problem. Also the handling like colm_mcm mentioned.

I'll let you know which impressed me most tomorrow, probably won't get to bring the VTS for a good blast tho' as its in sallynoggin.

Test drove both this morning and I'm gonna take the VTS I think, great fun to drive and the interior and toys are not much worse than the 206. Great kick out of it after 4000 revs too.

Good choice, as a driving machine, I would pick the VTS any day!

I phoned back to say I'd take the one I drove today but it was sold already :( No others on carzone worth looking at now :(

I know of a few people selling them at the moment on various forums, you shouldn't be waiting long to pick one up

Checked cruiseirl, racershaven etc.. not many ph2 ones tho'

Gonna give a Punto HGT a test drive tomorrow, see what they are like.

• Advertisement

If you can be bothered, going up North for one or even the UK if you really want one, get one in better condition with less miles for cheaper, VRT isn't that bad at all on them. I got my 106 in the UK for nothing!

Put a deposit on a 206 Gti today.

After driving both I think they are similar pace, 206 had more pull on lower revs 150 ft-lbs of torque :D The 206 was much more comfortable today than the VTS too. I'll stick pics up when I get it.

Picked up the 206 yesterday, lovely car. Great for motorway driving and country roads too, the torque is great too. I'd recomend one to anybody.

Advertisement