Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House sharers...need to pick your brains..

Options
  • 26-06-2006 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I have recently moved into a new house and have rented out a couple of rooms. My tenants appear to be sound - dont think there will be any problems with them - both non-smokers and away weekends.

As they are paying my mortgage and theyre not troublesome, I'd like to provide as much stuff as possible to keep them happy.

- Have broadband installed which they can access wirelessly.
    - Irish/English terrestrial TV with TV points in all rooms.
    - Digital Satellite TV (though not Sky - will get if they are prepared to split the bill)
    - Phone points in all rooms - although i plan on making this incoming only.

I'm just wondering if theres any other items which I could provide? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

Well arn't you the perfect landlord spoiling your tenants like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

would you have a chat with my landlord? ;)

I guess you could also offer them a few more bills paid, like ESB or TV licence. But in reality I think you are already treating them very well!

You could ask them if there is anything else they would like? Maybe a room needs a lock fixed or something you don't know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

With regard to phone points in rooms, I'd ask them first if they would use a landline at all, because most people have mobiles now.

What might have a bearing on billing, is the type of broadband you have. I know in some houses, if you have broadband through the phone line (DSL), it is normal to split the costs of the monthly sub, plus line rental, even if they don't use it for normal calls.
    If you go for wireless broadband (IBB or Digiweb), the line rental cost goes, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

iv more or less the same as you but everybody pays equal for everything which i think ismore than fair as everyone is using them. no complaints from anyone. iv only had 2 people leave me so far and thats cos they were buying their own places and filled the vacant rooms quickly with people i know. i think adding new people to a house is vital so as not to upset the current tenants. more important than any things you put in the house. if people clash then its more likely theyl leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 infected_shroom

Thanks for the feedback guys. I suppose I will continue with the small improvements I need to make for the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement