Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMS Ocean in Dublin

• 26-06-2006 4:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

I read today that a helicopter carrier will be arriving in dublin on thrusday. They usually stick these things in Alexadria Quay where it cant be seen from any locations. Anyone know what time the ship will be sailing in at and perhaps we can see it arrive?

Grimes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Thats a 20,000 Tonne Helicopter carrier....I dont know Dublin that well but can it be accomodated at Alexadria Quay?

I think the Sinn Fein/IRA radicals will protest its arrival....which might scare off the RN in providing tours.

A year or two ago a drunk nutter in Cork tried to firebomb the helicopter on a RN Frigate(or Destroyer)....without the Detective on duty he would have probable done it and then got shot for his stupidity!!!

Personially I would rather see the Charles DeGaulle(twice HMS Oceans size)....but Ireland has banned nuclear powered vessels!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Just did a simple google search:
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=hms+ocean+ireland&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Indymedia have outdone knemselves once again!

Oh take a look here at the last 2 pictures ;)
    http://www.irishships.com/photo_album_naval.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Why would anyone want to welcome a ship that helped launch the invasion and occuaption of Iraq? That very ship helped start the on going problems and civil strife that the US/Brit government have brought to Iraq.

And Sinn Fein won't be the only one's protesting at its arrival. I suppose if you guys are Irish Army, it would be completely lost on you that this is the 90th anniversary of the Easter rising (aren't the Irish army supposed to be the direct decendants LMAO) so on the very year you guys came into creation a British Gun boat came up the liffey to shell the be Jaysis out of Dublin city. Of course none of that would make any sense to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Because we've moved on from that?

Whats the purpose of its visit?

Because we've moved on from that?

Whats the purpose of its visit?

Ah the typical Irish.. ah sure it t'was yeeeaaarrsss ago! :rolleyes:

You do realise they are still occupying your country. - ah sure their not doin us any harm are they... ;)

01-07-01-t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Jon your first post was reported but I let it ride.
    If you have valid points to make please do so in a contructive manner.
    Pictures of red-haired leprechauns do little to advance your position.
    If it is your intention to spam this forum your next spammy post will be your last.

Hagar (Mode Mode ON);)

Do you also have a problem with the Normans and Vikings?

Be interesting to see the ship, but why is here?

Anyone says anything bad about the Vikings will answer to me.... :D
    BTW I'm of Norman descent - De Burgh, so it could get rough. :D

NMM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

Jon wrote:
    Why would anyone want to welcome a ship that helped launch the invasion and occuaption of Iraq? That very ship helped start the on going problems and civil strife that the US/Brit government have brought to Iraq.

And Sinn Fein won't be the only one's protesting at its arrival. I suppose if you guys are Irish Army, it would be completely lost on you that this is the 90th anniversary of the Easter rising (aren't the Irish army supposed to be the direct decendants LMAO) so on the very year you guys came into creation a British Gun boat came up the liffey to shell the be Jaysis out of Dublin city. Of course none of that would make any sense to you.
    that actual boat the hms helga was later bought by the irish state as far as i can remember it became the muricu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Do you also have a problem with the Normans and Vikings?

Be interesting to see the ship, but why is here?

Cultural and Business Visit. Same reason LE Niamh went to China, LE Eithne went to Argentina, and LE Emer went to Kiel, among others in recent times....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Jon wrote:
    I suppose if you guys are Irish Army, it would be completely lost on you that this is the 90th anniversary of the Easter rising (aren't the Irish army supposed to be the direct decendants LMAO) so on the very year you guys came into creation a British Gun boat came up the liffey to shell the be Jaysis out of Dublin city. Of course none of that would make any sense to you.

We bought that boat afterwards, commissioned it into the Marine Service, and renamed it Muirchú

Jon wrote:
    Ah the typical Irish.. ah sure it t'was yeeeaaarrsss ago! :rolleyes:

You do realise they are still occupying your country. - ah sure their not doin us any harm are they... ;)

01-07-01-t.jpg
    now if you wanna brief lesson on history maxwell the man in charge of the brits at that time was an irish man as far i can remember he was a longford man he was a cousin of countess marxvic as well;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Jon, you sound like a teenager and i'm guessing you are one, going through your "I hate the Brits!" stage.

It's RIDICULOUS to shun going to see this amazing piece of engineering just because it was one of the ships that invaded Iraq. The *SHIP* is just the vehicle that carried the army there.

I'll be going to see it at lunch time, is it near the IFSC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I work just beside the berth it was on. Damn big ship. Was suprised when I heard it was coming. Needless to say, securitys been beefed up while it's there.

jon you didn't by any chance go see the wind that shakes the barley or watch micheal collins lately did you

babybundy wrote:
    jon you didn't by any chance go see the wind that shakes the barley or watch micheal collins lately did you

"The wind that shakes the barley" won the prestigious Palme D'Or at Cannes a few weeks ago.
    I wouldn't mind seeing it myself.

NMM

Hagar wrote:
    "The wind that shakes the barley" won the prestigious Palme D'Or at Cannes a few weeks ago.
    I wouldn't mind seeing it myself.

NMM
    no it was meant that it would stir the republican fire inside a young fella i haven't seen it yet but cant wait to see it some of the sets were done very well on it

I'll probably only get to see it when it's released on DVD as they don't show many foreign language films in my local cinema.

i've been told very few cinema's in england are showing it too

testicle wrote:
    Cultural and Business Visit. Same reason LE Niamh went to China, LE Eithne went to Argentina, and LE Emer went to Kiel, among others in recent times....

I can understand visiting places to drum up trade and establish links etc. But UK and Ireland? How does the business of a "Cultural and Business Visit" work then? Just curious.

Looking forward to seeing that film myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭cheeky_guy

Lol there was this idiot on O'Connell street Wednesday shouting into a microphone about peace and protesting about the arrival of the ship. I didnt even know there was a ship coming until i heard him and i think that was the case with a lot of people. :)

And i think the ship is coming to show relationships between the english and Irish have improved especially since the IRA disbandament.

cheeky_guy wrote:
    ...And i think the ship is coming to show relationships between the english and Irish have improved especially since the IRA disbandament.

That makes more sense.

ok ok, Hagar point taken. I won't be rude while making my point.

And to the person who thinks anyone with a political opinion has to be a teenager, you are very wrong.

The Helga went on to serve in WW2, before it was decommisioned.

Maxwell was British, through and through. If he was Countess Markievic's cousin well then he's not only British but British Aristocracy too, as Markievic was related to the royals.

I know you military guys are trained to ignore the brutality of war, but joe soaps like me aren't. You don't have to look far to see the atrocities being carried out in Iraq, the suffering of millions of innocent Iraqi families. This particular war ship played an active part in it.
    Lets call a spade a spade, the British still occupy a part of OUR country. Irish Families still live under the threat of British military and intelligence in the North.

Also to rub your noses in it, there is a recruiting stand on the ship that will be in full swing when it comes into Dublin.

And no I haven't seen the Wind that shakes the barley - but I will when I have time.

Peace
    Jon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Would love to see this fine piece of naval power. Anybody know how long the stay is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

delly wrote:
    Would love to see this fine piece of naval power. Anybody know how long the stay is?

A couple of days apparently - where exactly is it located?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/06/30/story265629.html

come on fella's get a conscience..

Jon wrote:
    ok ok, Hagar point taken. I won't be rude while making my point.

And to the person who thinks anyone with a political opinion has to be a teenager, you are very wrong.

The Helga went on to serve in WW2, before it was decommisioned.

Maxwell was British, through and through. If he was Countess Markievic's cousin well then he's not only British but British Aristocracy too, as Markievic was related to the royals.

I know you military guys are trained to ignore the brutality of war, but joe soaps like me aren't. You don't have to look far to see the atrocities being carried out in Iraq, the suffering of millions of innocent Iraqi families. This particular war ship played an active part in it.
    Lets call a spade a spade, the British still occupy a part of OUR country. Irish Families still live under the threat of British military and intelligence in the North.

Also to rub your noses in it, there is a recruiting stand on the ship that will be in full swing when it comes into Dublin.

And no I haven't seen the Wind that shakes the barley - but I will when I have time.

Peace
    Jon
    the helga was bought by the irish navy and it was in the papers (no not the sun star or mirror) that maxwell was born in longford and was related to the countess iam looking for it at the moment i'll post it if i find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Reasons to welcome HMS Ocean to Dublin

While undertaking first-of-class trials, it was called to Honduras to give humanitarian assistance following the devastation caused by Hurricane Mitch in 1998.

Ocean was also diverted in 1999 to provide humanitarian assistance to Turkey in the wake of an earthquake.

The ship's Sea King Helicopters were involved in search and rescue operations and were responsible for locating several people trapped under wreckage and rubble.

In May 2000 HMS Ocean was deployed to the West African coast to support British forces in Sierra Leone. (a peacekeeping mission)

These points taken from the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2634435.stm

It's also a fine piece of engineering (which is enough for me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Downtime wrote:
    A couple of days apparently - where exactly is it located?
    It's staying till Tuesday, IIRC. It's located in the Alexandra basin in the port. First right onto the Alefandra from the main entrance to the port, right at the car compound. You wont be able to get past Harbour police, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well well,I was wondering what was that ship pulling into harbour when I was working in sandymount this week...

Advertisement