Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developing Application For Pocket PC

Options
  • 26-06-2006 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am just about to start developing a helpdesk system. It will be web based with a SQL Server backend. I want to enable it to work with a pocket pc, so that I technicians can take their PDA with them around the building, and if someone stops them, to report a problem, they can log in on the PDA, and synchronise with the server when they get back to the office, so that the call the entered while out of the office is logged on the server, and any new calls logged on the server are downloaded to the pocket pc

I have no idea how to develop applications for the pocket P.C. I want to do this in C#, and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers, links, recommend books etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Lucifer 2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's two main ways you can do it, you can write .Net compact framework apps that run on the PDAs, or you can write a mobile web app. The latter is probably what you're looking for. It's essentially the same as using regular ASP.Net except instead of using Web Forms you use Mobile Web Forms. There'll be slight differences in the controls and functionality available due to limitations of the web browser on the devices, but for basic data entry and maybe some listings you should be fine. The only slight gotcha I can think of is that there may be some differences in the authentication methods available. Seeing as your already doing an ASP.Net site anyway, it should be fairly trivial to stick in some simple proof-of-concept mobile forms and try it out with a device (or the visual studio emulator if there's none to hand).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Use Visual studio 2005 with SQL server mobile. Use web services to talk to the server. It is a doddle to develop with though you need a hefty pentium D core to use the simulator.

Advertisement