Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complications with newborn

Options
  • 26-06-2006 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Last week my cousin gave birth to a baby boy. It is her first child. She ended up having to have a c-section. Unfortunately, the little one has a problem in his gut and had to be sent to Crumlin for an operation. There are talks that he might need a second operation. He will also have to spend a number of weeks in hospital.

My cousin is from Cork and is going to spend as much time up here in Dublin with the baby as possible. Her husband will have to return to work as soon as possible so it means she might be up here on her own.

As I live in Dublin I want to help her out as much as possible. However, I'm not really sure how I can help her and thought that someone on here might be able to best advise me of what her needs might be and what I could do for her.

Thanks,
    A.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Hiya - I'm sorry to hear that her little boy isn't well at the moment. Your cousin must be worn out with worry.

I'm not really sure you can do a lot for her at the moment. Giving her a place to stay and being supportive is all that you can do.

If it is any consolation Crumlin hospital is excellent, and they will really do all they can for her little boy. My brother had problem with his heart when he was born, and was sent straight to Crumlin for surgery. He is now in the best of health of health thankfully.

You might be able to offer her lifts into the hospital when you are free, spend some time with her while she is there, and bring things in for her. That is about it really. It mightn't seem like much to you, but if her husband is in Cork she could probably do with a bit of support.

I really hope everything works out alright, and baby gets well soon.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hi b3t4,

My son was premature and spent a few weeks in the special care unit....your cousin's life will be going by in a bit of a blur at the moment....first of all get her a big bunch of flowers or a big cuddly toy for the baby....no-one got me anything incase my wee one didn't make it & everywhere I looked I saw flowers & bears & I hated the fact no-one had any confidence in my son - it will boost her confidence if you act as normal...she will want to be in the hospital as much as possible so any lifts you could give her, offers to do the shopping or take around meals she just needs to pop in the micro would be very much appreciated, as would clothes washes & dryings - basically anything that means diverting time away from her boy....

Hope babs is well soon & thinking of your cousin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Thanks for yeer responses I feel a little more clued in :-)

The baby is doing better today and it looks like he won't be needing a second operation. My cousin can begin feeding him tomorrow which is a good sign.

Thanks again,
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

That's great news! Thanks for letting us know! :D

Advertisement