Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v Portugal

• 26-06-2006 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

So what do people think about this one?

I fancy Portugal to beat them on the grounds they have a really solid defence apart from their keeper. I think England will use Crouch and try to force an error from the Portugeuse keeper with Crouch's height, but Carvalho is well used to Crouch at this stage and should nullify him.

Portugal to win 2-1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

England will limp their way through. Deco's out and Ronaldo and Figo will most likely miss the game too. I can honestly see England dragging themselves to the final without ever playing well.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

England will limp their way through. Deco's out and Ronaldo and Figo will most likely miss the game too. I can honestly see England dragging themselves to the final without ever playing well.

Ronaldo, will be available for the game, He came out after the game and said he was badly bruised but would be ok in time for the England game.

With regards to Figo, I guess we will have to wait for the refs report to find out that one.

Which could take most of the week due to the amount of cards issued:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Aquos76 wrote:
    With regards to Figo, I guess we will have to wait for the refs report to find out that one.

What difference will the referee's report make?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    What difference will the referee's report make?

If it transpires that the yellow was indeed for the Head butt, he cant have any further action taken against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

what happened with figo? and is deco just an injury? I don't rate that Deco guy at all, he goes missing for long durations of the game and is on a different wave length half the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Figo's got away with it - http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0626/portugal.html

Disgraceful really, it was clear headbutt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

it doesn't say he got away with it.

van Bommel really is a horrible piece of work, diving git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

what happened with figo? and is deco just an injury? I don't rate that Deco guy at all, he goes missing for long durations of the game and is on a different wave length half the time.

Figo gave a slight head butt to one of the Dutch players who then reacted by falling in a heap cluctching his head 15 seconds after the butt.

Deco was given a 2nd yellow and sent off. He will miss the next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

England are favorite with all the bookies which is hard to beleive, even if portugal have a few players missing they will still be by far the strongest team england have met.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

While England's strongest opponents were Sweden and Ecuador, Portugal got a couple of real challenges already. They have faced Mexic and they have sent home Holland, one of the favorites.

England:
    +: After 4 games they never really had to try too hard. Judging on what they showed so far, England's players should not be tired at all so they should be more than ready for their first real challenge.
    -: What if England were just lucky to get at this stage? Maybe what they showed so far is their true potential and the "all-star" team is barely better than Trinidad Tobago, Paraguay or Ecuador? Then their road should end.

Portugal:
    +: As I previously said, Portugal had to face some real challenges to get at this stage. They proved they are up for it, their players are used already to win against the real guys.
    -: Some of the main players of Portugal will be missing next game. This for sure will make it harder for them. We can also say Portugal was better than Holland cos they had better wrestlers. Well if they try wrestling with England then they should go home already.

My personal favorite is Portugal. Anyway, I wouldn't mind England winning IF they show that football is beautiful (for a change).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm gona be very torn in this game, I want both Rooney and Ronaldo to win, I especially want Rooney to score a WC goal.

Personally, I think Scolari will destroy Sven tactically, just like he always does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Well Portugal seem to be missing half a team and also players maybe reluctact to make tackles as they seem to be on yelloiws and 1 more and they would miss a potential semi which swings to towards england so if they play well I could see England winning but of course no evidence so far that they are playing well. But my gut still says England

Deco, Costinha are excellent players and players which will be missed, but Portugal do have quality players to come in for those two. As I said earlier, Ronaldo will be available and it also looks like Figo will also now. So technically thats not half a team.

With regards to the players on Yellow cards. I accept your point, but if they go out with that attitude, it will not be a problem because they wont make the semi's. They have to forget about themselves and think of the rest of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

I dont think the players can go out thinking, if i get booked il miss out on the next round, because quite simply, they wont make the next round thinking like that.

As for the match itself, Deco and Costinha will be huge losses to Portugal, its just like taking Lampard and Gerrard out of the England team. I think you have to put England as favourites because of this, but Scolari is a better manager than Sven is, and tactics could have a big role to play in this match. A lot will depend on who the referee is as well. If England dont up their performance, then even with the loss of the players, i think Portugal will beat them. It's going to be very interesting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

exactly what i think!! they'll somehow get to the final by playing shit! not gonna make for a good final if it happens so hoping for a portugese win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I fancy Portugal to win this. They have the better squad and also the better manager. I don't think Sven will play crouch, he'll stick to the formation that they used yesterday. If he plays crouch from that start he'll have no plan B (wait a minute!!).

Also the time of the game is the same as yesterdays, so therefor the heat may well be a factor again and we say what that done to England yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Although Deco's a big loss I think Tiago should be able to fill in quite well for Costinha, Costinha hasn't started all Portugal's matches so far anyway.

Well I just opened another account on that German betting site and just put my free €20 on Portugal to win at 23/10

Ricardo
    Robinson

Miguel
    Hargreaves
    Carvalho
    Ferdinand
    Meira
    Terry
    Valente
    A. Cole

Ronaldo
    Beckham
    Maniche
    Gerrard
    Tiago
    Lampard
    Figo
    Cole

Pauleta
    Crouch
    Simao
    Rooney

Thats how I'd expect them to line up, though Sven will probably leave Crouch and Carragher out again for whatever unknown reason and stick 5 in midfield.

I know which side I'd rather be managing (England), but I know which country I'd rather be supporting (clue: not England). Sven has been awful in this tournament,even by his own standards.

• Advertisement

I would imagine that Garry Neville will be back in for this one. That should bring Beckham more into the game down that right hand side.

I think Neville is rated as fairly doubtful for Saturday, though as we have already seen you don't have to be 100% fit to be considered by Sven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Ricardo
    Robinson

Miguel
    Hargreaves
    Carvalho
    Ferdinand
    Meira
    Terry
    Valente
    A. Cole

Ronaldo
    Beckham
    Maniche
    Gerrard
    Tiago
    Lampard
    Figo
    Cole

Pauleta
    Crouch
    Simao
    Rooney
    England: better goalkeeper (but he had a poor game against the EKs)
    England: better defense (but only marginally)
    Portugal: better midfield (they know how to play with one another, england don't)
    Portugal: better attack (rooney hasn't proved he is capable of scoring yet, Pauleta is a threat)

(rooney hasn't proved he is capable of scoring yet, Pauleta is a threat)

Rooney hasn't scored yet, he's clearly capable of scoring though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Petit would almost certainly be in for Costinha, no? And Tiago or Hugo Viana in for Deco and assuming no Figo, then something like this:

Ricardo
    Miguel -- Carvahlo --- Meira ---- Valente
    Petit
    Tiago
    - Ronaldo
    Maniche
    Simao-
    Pauleta

SofaKing wrote:
    assuming no Figo

Figo will play, definitely. Because he was yellow-carded for the headbutt FIFA can't take any further action.

"It is only where there is a clear disciplinary issue, which has not been acted upon by the referee, that the disciplinary committee can look at it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Its likely that Figo will play.I think he should play in place of Deco with Simao and Ronaldo on the wings.Or maybe even play Rui Costa in place of Deco and keep Figo on the wing if he is available.

Even with the weakened line up Portugal are still much better than England,and Scolari is a better manager than Sven.I think England will get knocked out in this match but i wouldnt be suprised to see it go to extra time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Figo will play, definitely. Because he was yellow-carded for the headbutt FIFA can't take any further action.

"It is only where there is a clear disciplinary issue, which has not been acted upon by the referee, that the disciplinary committee can look at it."

I was lead to believe that he was book for what he said to the ref and not the headbutt.

Anam wrote:
    Its likely that Figo will play.I think he should play in place of Deco with Simao and Ronaldo on the wings.Or maybe even play Rui Costa in place of Deco and keep Figo on the wing if he is available.
    Yes, looks like Figo has been cleared to play so it will probably be like you say:

Ricardo
    Petit
    Maniche
    - Ronaldo
    Figo
    Simao-
    Pauleta

• Advertisement

SofaKing wrote:
    Yes, looks like Figo has been cleared to play so it will probably be like you say:

Ricardo
    Petit
    Maniche
    - Ronaldo
    Figo
    Simao-
    Pauleta
    That looks like a very strong line up,though i would have Tiago in for Petit.Portugal arent as under strength as people initially thought imo.

Great quote from Big Phil...

"Jesus said we should turn the other cheek. Unfortunately, Figo is not Jesus Christ."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I forgot Portugal have Rui Costa, but I think he's not the player he used to be...I still expect Scolari to out-wit Sven just like he did in the 1/4 finals 4 yrs ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would'nt be too cocky about Portugal, they can definatly be got at, thier
    so likely to pick up a yellow card and with dirty players like Figo I can see at least one red card for one of Scolaris' men. England need to play Rooney and Crouch together for this one, put the keeper under pressure with dead and wide balls.

Mike.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I forgot Portugal have Rui Costa, but I think he's not the player he used to be...I still expect Scolari to out-wit Sven just like he did in the 1/4 finals 4 yrs ago
    Could be wrong, but i don't think he's in the squad and is retired for Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Aquos76 wrote:
    Well I just opened another account on that German betting site and just put my free €20 on Portugal to win at 23/10

Tell me more young man !

• Advertisement

SofaKing wrote:
    Could be wrong, but i don't think he's in the squad and is retired for Portugal.
    Yeah you're right.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/team/squad.html?team=POR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

Culchie wrote:
    Tell me more young man !

ask and you shall recieve..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Which Portuguese and English players have yellows going into this one?

Portugal will probably win again, Phil Scolari is a better manager than Sven. If Ronaldo and Figo are fit for Portugal I don't think their injury/suspension problems will be any worse than Englands.

England have yellows for Carra and Robinson. Portugal have Ricardo,
    Nuno Valente, Maniche, Figo, Petit on cards.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Ah, Portugal look like a cohesive unit, England look an absolute shambles, Portugal should win. The only worry is the suspension of Deco, he's what makes the tick going forward and they don't really have anybody of his calibre to replace him in that position. If England manage to bring Portugal down to their level, anything may happen however.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

lads your making far too big a deal about the players Portugal are missing. Figo's best game of the tournament was the first match when he played in Deco'sposition. It was the Figo of old. Costinha didnt even start in the first game and Portugal have two ready made replacements in Tiago and Petit. England are all over the place and Scolari is by far the better manager.

There is absolutely no doubt that Portugal are the better team. They are better tactically, better at going forward, better at passing the ball, better at keeping teh ball, have shown they are up for the scrappy matches, have been Holland who some thought would win the tournament. England have done nothing and look like doing nothing.

How England could be the favourites for this game is just pure madness. Portugal to win, far more confident in beating England than I was of them beating Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lets hope Beckham doesn't start licking the face off Figo in the tunnel before the game or we'll have another repeat of "Dry Your Eyes Becks" from Gift Grub....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

were going to do them,just a gut feeling
    i feel our best chance of winning is if we go a goal down,then we have to attack,if england score first they will try and defend the lead and thats not going to work

county wrote:
    were going to do them,just a gut feeling
    i feel our best chance of winning is if we go a goal down,then we have to attack,if england score first they will try and defend the lead and thats not going to work
    I say England should try Liverpool or Middlesbrough tactics... let Portugal score 3 times in the first half and then try to win the game. :D

So, anybody watching this game? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Very few posts here... is there a match on at all? :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Portugal slightly better so far.

The match thread is over here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054954476

Ooops!

Mike.

Advertisement