Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sven's explanation to Wright-Philips

• 26-06-2006 11:20am
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What do you guys think of this? Found it on another forum.
    After being left out of the World Cup squad for Germany 2006, a leading Sunday tabloid has given us an insight into how Shaun Wright Phillips learned about his fate.

It transpires that Shaun was contacted by Sven, prior to the squad being announced, and told that he hadn`t played enough matches to get into the squad.

Obviously, Shaun remains puzzled by such a statement and has remarked in an interview recently,

"All he told me was I had not played enough matches to get in - although there were other players who ended up in the squad who had not played much either."

So if taking part in 39 matches for Chelsea last year is not enough, can any one explain how Walcott was picked with zero games? Wenger, Dein and Sven have got a lot of explaining to do in my opinion? That decision could cost England the world cup......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

the reason given to Andy Johnson from Sven was that he hadn't played in the PL that season, whereas Walcott.......eh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wright Phillips hasn't played enough. I'm sure that the vast majority of his '39 appearances' have been in the last few minutes of games. Walcott is a seperate, albeit baffling, decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SWP didn't get picked cause Sven doesn't like Ian Wright - according to Ian Wright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If you take the SWP decision on it's own merits, ignoring Walcott's inclusion, Sven might have a point when deciding to take other midfielders rather than SWP.

On the other hand, it just sounds like a, "It's me, not you!" type of speech. And we all know what that translates to, "It's you, not me!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I don't even thing Sven knows the situation being honest. Honestly has anyone else seen any other country at the world cup that still does not know its starting 11?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Yeah I don't think Sven has a clue what he is doing tbh, the longer he has been manager the more clueless he seems to get, it's quite impressive really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

SWP hasnt played enough, simple as. Most of his appearances were as a subsitute late on in games. Walcott is another question altogether though. I agree that Sven doesnt know what he is doing atm, or what his best team is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I would have said that SWP was left out because of Lennon. As has been said Walcott was a seperate, ridiculous, decision. Personally I think bringing Lennon ahead of SWP was actually the right decision.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The issue is not whether he has played enough. Its when you consider the explanation he gave to SWP and then consider his reasons for taking a player like Theo Walcott.

I am not saying he should have taken SWP, but like everyone else we are all baffled as to why he has taken a player who has no experience at the highest level and after 4 games has yet to even make an appearance as a sub.

Andrew 83 wrote:
    I would have said that SWP was left out because of Lennon. As has been said Walcott was a seperate, ridiculous, decision. Personally I think bringing Lennon ahead of SWP was actually the right decision.

Totally agree with you, but people are taking this up wrong. Its the explanation that he gave SWP and then he goes and picks Theo, is what should be discussed here.

Sven is a clown and has absolutely no idea what he is doing.

Eamon Dunphy called it right when he said it was "purely a PR excercise" taking him to the WC Finals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Still into the quarters all the same...... Lets not give out anymore until they are actually OUT of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

BolBill wrote:
    Still into the quarters all the same...... Lets not give out anymore until they are actually OUT of the competition.

I keep saying, they're going to fluke their way to the final. Spain will hammer them there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The mind boggles. Poor old SWP, moving to Chelsea was the worst possible thing he could have done though (in terms of football that is, financially and medals-wise I'm sure he's sorted).

I keep saying, they're going to fluke their way to the final. Spain will hammer them there though.
    Not in the final they won't.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bracket.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OT but after the group stages it should be an open draw. Like the fa cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Stekelly wrote:
    OT but after the group stages it should be an open draw. Like the fa cup.

Can't be done, 100s of thousands of fans with no idea where they'll be from the last 16 on?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think Lennon has justified his inclusion in the squad over Wright-Phillips.

Walcott is a seperate issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I thought he told him "next time don't listen to your Dad". Lennon has more than justified his place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It was a choice between Lennon and SWP and the fact that Lennon was playing regular first team football got him in the squad. I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

jesus guys, This thread is really mis-understood. I only posted it to let people know the reason Sven gave to SWP. I never said whether he deserved to go or not.

• Advertisement

Can't be done, 100s of thousands of fans with no idea where they'll be from the last 16 on?
    I don't get that. Reason being that you play the last 16 match in a different city dependant on whether you top your group or finish second.

Advertisement