Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Film Comp

• 26-06-2006 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

How about if the forum hosts a short film competition, say only 1 or 2 minutes long, entries could be uploaded to gooogle and links posted, ,members then vote. Just an idea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

trendkill wrote:
    How about if the forum hosts a short film competition, say only 1 or 2 minutes long, entries could be uploaded to gooogle and links posted, ,members then vote. Just an idea
    Hmm.. not a bad idea actually. We did have a go at organising a festival before but it proved difficult getting enough entries. But if it's all done online then it might be work a bit better.

Anyone else think this would be worth a go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

Your sickened now monkeyfudge that you never thought of having it online :p !

Ha... I just wanted a nice ritzy film festival with wine and awards and a room of some description... is that so wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

might be nice if it was short film comp but sort of like the 24 hour ones monkeyfudge has beens enjoying in that we have a common theme evryone has to focus around (or even a time limit. but that could be very difficult). that way it feels like a proper competition and not everyone digging out there old 2 minute pieces from college or when they were first messing with the camera etc.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    might be nice if it was short film comp but sort of like the 24 hour ones monkeyfudge has beens enjoying in that we have a common theme evryone has to focus around (or even a time limit. but that could be very difficult). that way it feels like a proper competition and not everyone digging out there old 2 minute pieces from college or when they were first messing with the camera etc.
    Sounds good! you'd never know - in a few years time there could be many a festival and competition held on the net :cool: .
    PS: I know i dont post in the film prod forum much, but i often come on here to take a look :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

Cool, its great that people actually agree, it would be dead cool. I'd love to take part in a 24 hour festival, in september there is one in Waterford, i'd love to give it a shot. However, if its on the net, it takes time to upload to google, then they have to be verified. So it would have to be something like a 48 hour film comp.

Anyway heres an idea. If the website Moderator, decidded on say... maybe three titles, and then people had to make short films on the titles. I see that in this site, registered users also have Blogs, in Google, you can copy the html of the Video by copying and pasting(by clicking on embed) they then could be posted onto one sole blog.... each of the shorts would then have places for comments to be left, but that isn't really anonymous though..
    If anyone else has an idea, i think its definitely worth giving it a shot.

the simple way is that someone who is not entering chooses (as you said) three titles or something similar and announces it one morning (say on a friday) and everyone has until monday to shoot, edit and upload a 2 minute short and pm a mod the link. A new thread will be made with a poll and links to all the entries and boardsie users will have until the next monday to vote for their choice.

if we get more then 10 entries we will have to have more then one poll (poll limits) and have a sort of semi final, final system.

That sounds good.... how long do you think it would take to organise this, We're just new to this site, so don't really know how many people would be interested in it.

Howe about setting the duration at a max of 3 Minutes... then for those who make a thriller, at least then have a chance of submitting their movie to The Digital Video Magazine whose "Three Minute Thriller" Competition is starting shortly, Its sponsered by Canon, last year, first prize was a Canon XL2, second Prize was another XL2, and third was a XM2. Now this year i'm predicting it will be one of the new Hi-Def cameras Canon have released, something at the end of the day, more motivation to create a short, be able to receive feedback from these knowledgable people on this site before even entering them, into the 3min thriller comp....

3 minute time limit.

we can start this weekend if enough people are interested...but i say we should leave it at least until the week after, i can see about getting more people interested (via a official thread and a link banner could be useful, to have in sigs and in the advert bit.)

i can choose the titles cause i am in the middle of moving so i wont have the time nor the equipment to shoot an entry (though i could throw in a old one i did, but that would be cheating) so in 2 weeks (maybe) i'll select three one word titles and those entering will be sent one each.

dont announce your title and dont put it on your film, cause i might see about an extra competition seeing if someone who didnt enter can guess all three titles.

but lets talk about it a bit more before we make it all official.

(p.s thats a good idea about the upcoming thriller comp...do you have a link, might enter myself after i finish moving.)

Probably best to hold it on Friday week alright (7th July). Maybe announce the titles early enough on Friday evening, make sure all entries are in before Sunday evening. Then give the week (or two) after to vote.

• Advertisement

You might want to mention it on the animation forum as well - it would make it interesting.

BlitzKrieg wrote:

(p.s thats a good idea about the upcoming thriller comp...do you have a link, might enter myself after i finish moving.)

Well, last years top 10 in the three minute thriller can be viewed at :
    http://www.mydeo.com/content.asp?CID=102

I haven't watched any of them yet, because those of us who use Macs can't view them, and my P.C infuriates me so much, i'd have a heart attack just trying to get it running.

The competition won't start until next month i think. Last year it started in May. The link to the Magazine Web Page is

http://www.camuser.co.uk/

It should be announced in the next issue, which would be the July one on sale July the 1st, a couple of days time. However, in the last issue they mentioned another competition... one we tried our best to enter,(closing date was the 23rd of june. read about it the 16th of june) but on the morning of our shoots, our lead actor let us down.... too early start, 5.00 a.m.(learning curves).
    This was the competition for the horrorchannel.co.uk. A two minute short!!! first prize was £5,000 sterling, all entries get shown on the horror channel, the top ten get invited to the frightfest film festival at the Odeon in Leicester Square .... for the premiere of the Film Shorts..!!!!(the same place where all the film premieres take place!!) The Judges were/ are Loyd Kaufman( those Troma B-Movies who is very generous with donating money for young filmmakers to make films) and Ric Tapert from the Evil Dead and the re-make of the grudge........ It would have been great to get into the top ten... and have the chance of meeting Kaufman.. and maybe some of his money for a film!!!..... but it wasn't to be...

I entered three shorts into the minute thriller last year... no luck though.... But the first prize would have been a lovely win... there is no rules other then the duration.... so anyone with no matter how much experience can enter.

Sorry bout the length of the response. Plus definitely, friday 7th of july sounds cool.... enough time to gather reinforcements and prepare for something we don't know about!!! if that makes any sense

So who's taking part then? I wouldnt have a chance against any of you pros :rolleyes: but if the titles are fun Ill see what I can come up with. Im looking forward to seeing what you all make though.

We for one will definitely take part, thats the thing, pros and Amateurs.... there's not much advantage, everyone will have the same time to write, film and edit their project, work under pressure, every entry will need people to help, so get the crew together, preproduction,Film shoot and Post Production.. all in two days...... Now thats Pressure, like in the real world.

The main thing is to get people interested in it first, if sucessful, have one once a month.... then entries will build up, and then maybe ye could have that film festival ye had planned.... "with the wine and Ritzy room"....

All just very possible.... inform a few schools like Dun Laoghaire, St. Johns or whatever.... who knows in a couple of momths, could be written about somewhere or on t.v

trendkill wrote:
    We for one will definitely take part
    Great. One so far... Anyone else? I think a bit of advertising is needed - its very queit here!

I'll definitely be taking part anyway.

I can stick announcement up on the top of the forum... but only on this forum.

So.. are we going to give out the topics on Friday the 6th and the films have to be up online on the following monday?

YouTube is a lot quicker at authenticating by the way.

I can stick announcement up on the top of the forum... but only on this forum.
    Good idea - do that!
    So.. are we going to give out the topics on Friday the 6th and the films have to be up online on the following monday?

Friday is the 7th.. but yes, i think we are. BlitzKrieg is announcing the titles. And youre right about YouTube, vids go up in a real quick and its easy too! :cool:

coolcon wrote:
    Good idea - do that!
    Done.

well i think i have my titles...they are all one word titles that can be interperated in different ways.

since monkeyfudge is taking part i sadly cannot discuss the titles with him...awww, But i hope he enjoys them when they are released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

Didn't I read something about rights and youtube there a few weeks back? Something about them having the rights to show your films forever once you put them up there? Maybe this isn't a bad thing. Just thought I'd raise it as a point.

• Advertisement

With youtube, can you embed the Html then say on to a web page, or is it just the link?, presume the first but i've never used it, so just wondering. I mentioned the comp around a few other forums. I checked **** out on google and there is a load of olnline film competitions.... guess we'll be kept busy anyway.

So how many people are interested in doing a 3 min short?

So, whats the story, Everything On for this weekend, plus Blitzkrieg, is it you thats sending the titles, thing is, do we have a list of names of who would like to take part, maybe start a new thread where people say that they will take part, i now its short for timing but...

Hmm... not a huge amount of interest is there?

I'm away for most of this weekend, so I'd rather postpone it until next week.

But if we press on with it tomorrow then I'm still game as I could bring a camera with me and film something on location over the weekend.

Yeah, not much, oh well, there's not much point if there isn't any interest, it would be great if there was just ten or so, oh well

as it currently stands it seems to be just you and fudge...i have titles. But it would be wasted with just two entries. And i defitnally cant enter myself (moving and stuff).

Might we try changing the format? We'll go from competition to a joint venture.

I put up a title and anyone on this board can put some input into producing it into a 3 minute film. From scripting it, filming it, editing it. That sort of thing. No real time limit just seeing if we can create something from over the net?

Maybe a deadline of some sort though... end of the month perhaps?

yeah i guess

NOoOoOoooooo! you cant change the whole thing now! Id take part, but Im off to a classic show in Terenure on Sunday - maybe do like monkeyfudge suggested and hold off until next week. Im only 15 so it wont be great but Ill get some friends together and see what we can do. Come on! Thats 3 'teams' as it were. Who else???? I was looking forward to seeing the results.

• Advertisement

well i'm fine leaving it till next weekend, but we'll hold onto that other idea for other events.

Advertisement