Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problem

• 26-06-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

going unreg. i'm a 25yo male, have got quite a bit of hairloss now on the front of my head, there is still some ontop, but i cut my hair short and it looks quite bad now and it's really upsetting me. my forehead is quite high anyway, and the receded heairline just looks terrible i think. Others don't think it's bad and i'm not to bad looking but it just makes me feel terrible about myself.

If i were to go on a course of Propecia and Xanderox 15%, do you think i could get some regrowth on the hairline?

I really need advice. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP, be aware that this is not a medical forum. Please read the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

Not medical advice.

You should try not to worry too much about losing your hair. It may not be much consolation at the moment but this happens to most, if not all guys, at some stage. That's just life. It's just unfortunate that it happens to some guys sooner rather than later. It can be alarming that at 25 you're losing more than you'd like. It will, understandably, knock your confidence a bit but you will survive.

However, if you are concerned about the rate of loss, perhaps you should consult your local doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 smilydude

My best advice is firstly to consult your doctor on an appropriate product that may help you in some way.

There are many men in your position, try not to put too much emphasis on it, if your friends are telling you that its not bad then I'd listen to them. Its always the inner critic in yourself who tells you its worse than it actually is.

Have a go at some treatments. This suggestion might be a bit more shocking, but many men in your situation decide to sport the shaved head look, and its all the rage, I mean you only have to watch the World Cup to see its a fashion statement. Have a think about it and if its not for you try the treatments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I have no advice for you.

Just wanted to say that most women don't find receeding hairlines of grey hair a turn off.

you say yourself, you're not bad looking, so you've nothing to worry about.
    Just find a hairstyle that makes the best of your features & then try to forget about it.

It's called getting old, it happens the best of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i look much better with hair. i did pull a fairly decent looking girl the other night. But it's hard. when i'm in bright light (the ugly lights in a pub) u can really see that theres not much left on top =(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

Baldness runs in my family so i have been waiting the day when i wake up to find clumps of hair on my pillow so i can shave my head. Im 27 now and while I do have a highish hairline I still have enough hair not to warrant an skinhead.

My younger brother seems to have been affected worse than me though and once his hairline got to the point where it was noticable (he was also going fairly thin on top unlike me) he shaved all his hair off and has never looked back. To be honest he looks better with a shaved head than he did with thinning hair and a receding hairline.

Just to make you feel better we were talking about it recently and both of us figured our hairline started receding in our late teens so you are doing well to have made it to your mid twenties.

My advice is dont let it worry you. If you have the confidednce to do it shave your head and if not let it grow enough that you can cover up the hairline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Loads of my friends (at least 10) have shaved their heads due to receding hairlines or balding.. My b/f is going through the same dilemma at the moment.. He has long hair which makes it kinda worse.

I'd say, just shave it all off - I don't think I know anyone that it hasn't suited.. First off, its a shock to see them looking so different, but after that it's suited everyone I know!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Can't remember the actor's name at this moment, but he stared as the male lead in Transporter and Transporter II. He looks grand with little hair. Saw him in another film with hair, and frankly, he was better looking as the Transporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Cut your hair short. To many women,

comb-over = pathetic loser
    short hair balding = virile

Take a look at a few role models - think of that very macho German guy who gets killed horribly in one of the Raiders of the Lost Ark films as he climbs over a truck to try to get to Indiana Jones and murder him. Supermacho.

But balding only looks virile if it's accompanied by a fit look. Balding *plus* the belly-like-a-poisoned-pup body doesn't really work as a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

i'm 19 n i've got a few greys already... not really bothered bout it though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gem 82

why not shave it off for charity,it would be for a good cause and you get to see how you like it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Propecia is pill format, costs a good bit, and lowers your sex drive.
    The stuff you rub on your head twice a day: annoying, and smells bad. Also, your head has to be real dry, so if you take a shower in the morning or evening, you're fscked.

Me, I just use a Mach 3, and shave the hair on my head off. None, I feel, looks better than fsck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Even the greatest footballers on earth like Zinedine Zidane are balding well he would be older than you by five years or so but his head is still balding he doesn't shave his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Why not shave it all off altogether - like, egghead style? The wimmin seem to like it that way. I guess it reminds them of "de baldy lad" - you know what I mean ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Mate dont worry about it at all. All the lads on mums side of the family are bald and I started getting thin at 20. At the time I didnt notice till one day in work one of the lads was working above me up a ladder and said in his south african accent "jesus ****ing christ clancy you're a bald bastard!". Id never really thought about it till then. Went home, shaved me head and havnt thought about it since. As long as I keep it fairly short to avoid the "no mans land" near the front it looks grand and every girl ive been with has loved the way it is.

Baldness is a fact of life for some lads, you just have to make the best of what you've got mate! Feck it shave it off and see how you look. As you say you're good looking I guarantee the ladies wont mind in the slightest.

You get to get up in the morning and spend 0.00001 seconds doing you're hair!

Feck the drugs. Nature has given you a solar panel for your brain, use it!

Advertisement