Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spirit Guides

Options
  • 26-06-2006 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering what peoples opinions are here on this forum. I fully believe in spirit guides though I have never met mine.

Is anyone here aware or in contact with theirs, and if so do you remember your first interaction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Surely, by the very nature they are spirit guides, they interact in your life anyway, whether or not you are consciously aware of it.

Think of all the times you find yourself doing something and you don't know why... and then it works out well.

Et voila!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

yes I am aware that they are working away but I know that many people through meditation and psychic development can interact with their guides. This is something I am aiming for and was just wondering if anyone else was eith on a similar path or already connected with their guides on this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Spirit guides come in many forms be they ancestors, beings from other planes including minor angels, totem spirits or in some cases the are passed through families.

Not everyone is aware of them, not everyone needs to be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I did try to meet my spirit guide before, but she looked so like cate blanchett in lord of the rings that I think there was a bit of an archetype at play. :)

I have at other times wondered if I do have a spirit guide or guardian angel (when people talk about guardian angels, I kind of assume they're referring to a spirit guide which may or may not actually be an angel). Whenever I have I've felt very ... reassured is probably the wrong word, I wouldn't nessecarily need and reassurance as such, but a similar feeling to it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

hi. :) I've met my spirit guide / guardian angel - whatever you want to call them.

I was lying in bed one night, had just closed my eyes and felt someone sitting at my shoulder. I opened my eyes and saw a young man looking at me. He said "Hi My names ...., I'll look after you". He then disappeared. I remember he had a very kind face. Of course I was scared initially, not really having encountered the "spirit" world before but afterwrads I felt very safe and realised there was nothing to be afraid of. Now I realise I was very honoured to have such an encounter.

I have felt his presence many times. In fact my angel saved me from falling into a river - its hard to explain but i slipped off the bank and could feel something holding my arms. I should've been dead really, as it was the river Corrib in Galway and the currents would have devoured me.

I was also told by many psychics that my spirit guide / guardian angel was male. One told me that he was a sailor in a past life. At the time I was travelling and she said he was very excited for me because I was seeing the world!

I practise reiki and this is helpful for getting in touch with your guides, though I didnt do reiki at the time when I met mine
    One thing I was told by a spiritual teacher though was that your spirit guide would never do anything to harm or upset you and if they feel you are not ready for an encounter they wont make themselves "felt"
    Good luck - I hope you have an experience like mine because it enriched my life enormously

• Advertisement

Now thats the kind of story i wanted. I accept that for some reason i may not be ready yet, luckily i'm not to impatient ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im aware of four. Some are more prominent than others, depending on whats going on in my life. Im not so aware of any of them at the moment, but I know a male figure (he has a striking sense of humour) is to the fore in my life right now, I just dont see him that often. I view him as a kind of teacher. A few years ago it was a female figure who had a protective, motherly role.

I agree, if you are not ready to sense them, because of timing or cos it might confuse you, then you wont be aware of an actual figure, even though you may still feel something loving about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I contacted my spirit guide simply by closing my eyes and asking was he / she there. Remember very strange as after about the third or fourth try a face appeared in my minds eye and we talked. Almost every answer to my questions came very quickly. Now when i want to talk I just sit quietly and say ...... (name).First thing I hear is ask for protection. So I do and after that he would tell me just to consentrate and see what I could see. If I got excited at an image he would tell me to step back. Starting to notice that the less emontionally envoled in the image the better the image is. If i get excited or nervous or happy etc etc it instantly disappears. I suppose I am only ment to observe. Lately thaough as I have said before guide seems to be a bit further away. I have ordered a book on amazon "How to contact your spirit guide" just in case i have been just imagining it all. Dont think I have though as still i see guides face if i call out name and I talk to guide all the time though out the day and it seems i still get answers in my head spoke very planly and directly

ksheil, you really dont need any courses:D Your description sounds great, wonderful communication, your very lucky. it sounds similar to things that have happened to me, only names im still useless on.:p

These things wax and wane tho, I think thats normal. You cant be full on all the time, youd burn out. If your guide/gift is far away at the moment then rest up and wait. Itll all come back.

KatieK wrote:
    ksheil, you really dont need any courses:D Your description sounds great, wonderful communication, your very lucky. it sounds similar to things that have happened to me, only names im still useless on.:p

These things wax and wane tho, I think thats normal. You cant be full on all the time, youd burn out. If your guide/gift is far away at the moment then rest up and wait. Itll all come back.

Over the past weeks I did not even try to contact him but last night after posting reply i did and he is back good as ever. So happy with this cannot explain how it feels as its like an old friend returning. He did say something last night that I am not sure what to do with and that was tell him to "stop playing around" and I got the name Robert (i dont know if it is robert who is to stop playing around or Robert is this persons spirit guide.) As he just said he will know what it means. I know this sounds freaky but this mean anything to anyone outthere) Now I suppose it would be good point to point out I dont mean affairs of the heart etc etc. Felt like it had more to do with a project or something someone is strongly thinking of, more along that line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Sandy2004

I have 9 guides - soon to have 10 in october, so I have been told... I do believe they are there to guide you along the right path and to assist with making the right decisions. (well not necessarily right - it could be a wrong decision - in order for you to learn from your mistakes and grow as a person)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Sandy2004

btw - That message could mean something to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭GreenDoor

I'd like to meet mine if I have any but I wouldn't want to wake up finding them sitting on the bed next to me!

Questions
    -How do you know how many you have and what's the point of having many?
    -What do they do?
    -Are they like servents?
    -Can you just ask them to appear and they'll appear?

Sandy2004 wrote:
    btw - That message could mean something to me.

Thank the guides it means something to someone. I was begining to get bit worried it didn't. Hope it is a useful piece of information. The thing was it meant nothing to me only that I had to post it up and the person who it was intended for would know it was for them:) .

GreenDoor wrote:
    I'd like to meet mine if I have any but I wouldn't want to wake up finding them sitting on the bed next to me!

Questions
    -How do you know how many you have and what's the point of having many?
    -What do they do?
    -Are they like servents?
    -Can you just ask them to appear and they'll appear?

I have only met one and on the first occasion I just lay back on my chair and relaxed and asked was my guide there. After a few tries a face appeared. I just asked questions and got plain answers nothing to big. I lay down a few days later and I was told to relax, so I did and I felt the strongest prescence in the room, it was so strong I could not handle it, so I said please leave, and immediatley it left. Sorry now of course I asked him to leave as now I ask can you enter my space so I can see you and he hasn't only that i am not ready and would feel him touching my aura.

I got the book form amazon How to Meet and work with your Spirit Guides. He states that we have one for many different aspects of our life, like Love, Money, Joy etc etc. THey are here to guide us in no way to just show us the way. He does have some little tests in the book to see if your guide is true as he believes that your guide will expect tests from you as why should you just take it he is for real. Like asking for an image or a parking space be left near a certain spot. I am not finished the book yet, I dont agree with all this guy states but it does have some nice exercises in it to try out.

I think the whole thing about guides etc is you take it slow and ask questions and for protection.

Dont know if that answered you questions but I hope I gives some sort of insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭GreenDoor

Thanks. It answered some questions alright and I'll do some research too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So whats organising this? If theres one spirit guide per person, that suggest organisation. These spirits are sentient, yes? What is it that makes them willing to bind their fate to that of a particular person?

Is there a grand celestial bureaucracy in charge of this? Thats a large feature in Chinese mythology.

I have absolutely no idea. But I dare say none of them are civil servants, nor do they bind their fate to ours any more than your primary school teacher bound his/her fate to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I hope it’s ok to drag this thread up again?

I (think I) believe in spirit guides/ guardian angels. A few months ago I decided to try to contact mine. I read a bit about it, thought a lot about it, did (tried) some meditation and was happily muddling along with nothing much happening other than me having a new interest! Then things started getting a bit weird. A couple of times I woke with this weird shaky vibrating thing going on (in my head or… I’m not really sure). To be honest it felt like the whole bed was shaking violently but yet there was my husband sleeping soundly and completely still. I would wake at night with a low rumbling, engine like, sound in my right ear. A couple of times I checked to see was there a truck outside but there never was. Once, as I was just falling asleep, I heard a woman’s voice clearly say “hello” but since I’d been up all the previous night with the baby I just said “ah no not now I’m too tired”. Then I started getting scared. I worried that could be leaving myself open to malevolent spirits and would do a protection (though not really knowing what I was doing) every night, not only for me but for my husband and children as well. Anyway at the point I decided enough was enough, either I was losing the plot altogether or I just wasn’t ready, or experienced or learned enough to handle the whole thing. I just decided I wanted no more of it. It all stopped, no more shaking, no more voices, I no longer felt the need to ask for protection every night. I do still get the rumbling in my right ear though it’s not so loud.. I think it’s just tinnitus:o

I’d like to ask those of you who have contacted your spirit guides if you’ve experienced any of the above? Do you think I came close at all? Do you think the voice I heard was a spirit guide or just one of those “falling asleep” things? What was the shaky thing all about? (maybe just a dream thing?). Or was I just losing the plot?

Above all, if I decide to try this again how can I prepare myself better so I don’t get so freakin’ freaked! Due to experiences I’ve had in the past and feelings I’ve had during/ after reiki sessions I do think I have the potential to develop my… sensitivity (or whatever!) but to be honest it scares me and I’m not sure what to do about that:confused:

thanks

P

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

Hi!
    I used to get a feeling like bobbing on a very active tide.....like I was shaking/rocking internally and externally. THis was before I really became aware of the spiritual realm. I joined a group and this feeling came every now and again....I asked the lady leading the group what it was and she proposed it was a phyisical reaction I was having to show me that I was 'attuning' in some way and that I could just ask that the spirit being not cause such a reaction while I was happy to receive the attunement/progression...and since i asked, it stopped and has only come back once or twice. The reverberating sound sounds familiar too .......although I've never had my spirit guide approach or greet me.......I would love that....I've only gone searching for them or else they have and I didn't notice!

Protection is a good idea in any situation that is new or unnerving. If you want to develop this ability more then perhaps do a bit of reading or join up to a group that feels right to you. If not, then you can ask them not to contact you again ........ but it sounds like you have a wonderful ability ready to come through.

Hope they leave you alone at night! Sleep is very important! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thanks for the reply Aisling,

I have to rush off now and I believe you're heading off on your honeymoon? have a ball! I'd love to chat to you about this when you get back!

P

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

stevenmu wrote:
    I have at other times wondered if I do have a spirit guide or guardian angel (when people talk about guardian angels, I kind of assume they're referring to a spirit guide which may or may not actually be an angel).

I so totally agree with those comments stevenmu!! I used to (shall we say) work in this field for a number of years. While 'angels' describe something, I don't feel they are different to spirit or use really - us all being beings of light to one degree or other.

From my work todate - and I try to be very critical about it - spirit guides are a part of us & the universe (i know thats a paradox for you guys in the know). Do they move traffic to get us on time? Get us out of bed earlier to avoid those cars? Get us to bed earlier to sleep better?? NO. I dont' think so. They are there, speaking all the time but they are merely presence bearing witness - we take all the actions and consequences (Karma) in our lives, not they. Although I do believe another poster got some help surviving falling into the Corrib. To those trying to understand, I would say the VERY best analogy is city of angels (sorry for the hollywood reference) - they stand & listen with everyione, are there for the individual or situation but not acting. The medium I studied under would always remind us in training, this is our world not theirs. (and vice-versa).

Tah dah! That my opinion/feeling at least. I have had several guides working with me. One who 'walks with me' and others who are present at specific times. Times of learning, healing or whatever. I'm aware that with one spirit is a host of them...proving that nothing is seperate or isolated. Deepak Chopra talks alot about this especially on of his latest books Power, Freedom & Grace.

Finally - this is a really great thread IMO.

D :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Wiseone

Ive never met my spirit guide but know I have one or more. Spirit guides present themselves as a tiny blue light Guardian angels appear as a pure white light These lights are tiny and you will probably question if you are seeing things Ive been doing alot of work with my angels and really believe Ive seen my guardian angel Read up James Van Pragh's book Heaven and Earth It's like my bible Also spirit guides tend to be deceased loved ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Are these spirit guides actual things that exist independently, or are they names/metaphores that people give to feelings or experiences they've had which they feel "guided" them in some way? I mean do ye actually think that spirit guides are real things?

Having had little or no dealings with them I would say its a mix. To some people they are a manifestation of a part of themselves which 'helps them out'.

Equally I have spoken to so many people who's opinion I respect, who have works/interacted with their guides, (couple with the fact I know spirits exist) that I must give it the benfit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I like the viewpoint that they are manifestations of the subconscious. As sort of archetypes/complex symbols which are open to personal interpretation.
    But if they are real in your mind, they do exist in the external reality. Only it's hard to often distinguish between a part of yourself you don't recognise and a completely seperate entity.
    The different things people use as symbols is quite varied. Dragons/animals/gods/geometry. It's up to you to figure out your own and find which is best. I like to mix and match :p
    This is all revisable with new input. I'm hungry...

Advertisement