Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM card tax

Options
  • 26-06-2006 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

I just found an old ATM card for an account that i havent used in about 4 years and was wondering if the government ATM tax was added on each year even if the account wasnt used?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think the charge is only on Laser cards, but I might be wrong. The charge would still exist regardless if you used the account or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

its on ATM cards also its €7.50 per year, must go close the account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

yep, i presume you have been charged this. although are you sure the card is still in-date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

the non-use tax avoidance method only applies to "laser" cards

as for "ATM" cards the fee applies regardless of use

AFAIK ATM cards don't have expiry dates, so no point looking into that further

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My ATM card has an expiry date!! It last 2 years before its renewed again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

jonny24ie wrote:
    My ATM card has an expiry date!! It last 2 years before its renewed again!!

My BOI ATM card has an expiry date, but its also a Laser card too which explains it, maybe yours is the same ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nope mine is a Dual Card from Ulster Bank!! Not Laser at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thats odd, would have thought that there would be no need to expire a non Laser type card, maybe Ulster bank are just leaving their options open to change the type of available account in the future ??

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Nah it was alway this way!! I have had this account a long time and anyone I know in the UB has the same thing!! I think it was to stop all the tattered cards that get caught in machines etc!!

Just whent into the bank about this. AIB charge €10 and BOI charge €7.50(they pay the other €2.50 themselves i assume) You only get charged for it if you use your ATM card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

that's interesting, not sure if many people know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

That is a huge relief!

I too have a Dual Card that I got about 12 years ago when I upgraded from my Henry Hippo account :D Never used the account once since upgrading as I'm with AIB at home.

1) Thankfully the card has an expiration date.
    2) Thankfully you're not charged if it hasn't been used.
    3) Thankfully accounts go dormant, I think the Government are probably making good use of my IR£0.64 :D

Imagine if I returned to Ireland to find the Ulster Bank bailifs waiting for me at the airport :eek:

That is seriously good information, I never knew that!

Never would have bothered me before, just finished college now and looking for things to do :D

Advertisement