Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Upholstery - Remove Vomit

Options
  • 26-06-2006 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am preparing for the new arrival and am just wondering based on peoples experiences, what is/are the best product/s for removing baby vomit from the car seats?

Also, what is the best way to clean it up. Immediately or is it ok to wait a while?

Thanks,

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lots of hot water and a very mild detergent.

Clean it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I know they can look a little nasty, but what about the fake leather seat covers you can get from motor factor type shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I have experienced your problem. I washed the seats and door cards with hot water and mild detergent.

One trick is to use Dettol anti-bacterial spray, and after cleaning, spray the seats, carpet, door cards etc. This will kill the bacteria that cause the smell, and wont stain or mark the fabric (Nissan fabric anyway).

Dont get the ones with bleach in them, as they will bleach the car fabric.

If the accident happens when driving, pull over straight away, use water and tissue to clean the spill and spray the Dettol on straight away. That way, you can continue the journey in not too bad a smell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Or even better, real leather seats... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

when you pull over, make sure to check your child isn't choking on vomit first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

Get one of the vax (or whatever make you fancy) carpet shampooers with the small attachment for doing the stairs. Dog had a bit of an accidednt on the way to the vets a while back and the shampooer brought the seat up cleaner than it was before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

ianobrien wrote:
    If the accident happens when driving, pull over straight away, use water and tissue to clean the spill and spray the Dettol on straight away. That way, you can continue the journey in not too bad a smell

Or buy a decent spill kit that solidifies the mess and also kills the smell very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd go for the dettol spray too - the important thing is to kill the bacteria that cause the smell. It won't really be an issue as usually kids vomit all over there clothes and the child seat - very little will make it to the car seat. Be sure to get a child seat with a removable and machine washable cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Relax Mike - babies don't vomit like adults. It's usually a small amount and a bib will catch most of it. It's unlikely even to get onto the child seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

The best I've heard of is tonic water, don't know how true this is but I've heard plenty of success stories

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

Wishbone Ash... have you never heard of kids and projectile vomit? straight across the room!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Paul (MN) wrote:
    Wishbone Ash... have you never heard of kids and projectile vomit? straight across the room!

I presumed the OP was referring to the normal milky reguritation displayed by babies. He did mention a new arrival!

Vomiting causes a serious mess - the regurgitation is called posseting and usually only happens after feeding - but in young babies its usually milky which can smell real bad if it's not cleaned quickly. Projectile vomiting - which can happen with a high temperature can easily reach the back of the front seat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Baby wipes clean anything. Including oil. I leave a packet in the car now in case I need to change a wheel, put air in the car check oil etc. Fantastic stuff. Baby's puking in the car would be very bad luck. That said did happen to us once, when baby had a bug. But it all stayed in the baby seat. Had to dismantle baby seat and clean it in the bath though. Usually all the fabric stuff comes off and you can stuff it in the washing machine. Something to look for when you buy the baby seat. And the high chair, and buggy, pram etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

Roofracks- the simplest solution to all baby-on-board problems:)

Roofracks- the simplest solution to all baby-on-board problems:)
    Now there's an idea:D

Advertisement