Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WC Referees so far

• 26-06-2006 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Well here we are, 52 games into the 64 game competition (its flown by, hasn't it?) and already we have new disciplinary records.

So far, more red cards have been shown in this tournament than any before (23 in the 52 games, beating the 22 shown in 1998) and this World Cup's yellow card total of 291 is already higher than the total four years ago (which was 271).

At this stage, Portugal and Holland are the worst offenders, no real surprises there after last nights game. Portugal is the worst sinner with 18 yellow cards and two red cards in four matches, while the Dutch have collected 16 yellows and two reds.

Add to this the absolute farce that is Graham Poll having probably the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen in the Australia-Croatia game on Thursday and it all leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth. But hey, at least its something to talk about... :rolleyes:

So what has everyone thought of the refereeing so far in this WC? Better/worse/the same? Worthy of a thread to itself? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

worst of any world cup I've seen (going back to 1990)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

they has been some very bad referreeing so far. that referee last night is known to be card happy. he booked zidane against the swiss for taking a free too quickly. also hasn't been help by some bad linesmen too. don't think any of them know what offside means. they haven't stamped out the diving or the players point out to the referee to book other players. they were supposed to do that also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think the ref last night is getting a raw deal - the majority of the reds and yellows were deserved - Deco, Costinha and the dutch fella all deserved to go - only Gio can feel hard done by imo. Also, Figo should have seen red too, along with Sneijder.

The behavior of the players last night was a disgrace, they are the ones that should be getting the abuse, not the ref.

Overall, i have not been happy with the refs, but i do not think FIFA has helped at all.

Advertisement