Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband coverage

• 26-06-2006 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Guys,

I know of a new broadband provider that is coming online here in Ireland who are going to try and provide broadband to those areas that previously couldn't receive it. What I am trying to find out is what areas of the country either don't have broadband or are actively seeking broadband in their locality. If any of you out there are working off dial-up or know of people in areas that don't have broadband access then please let me know and I will add the area to my list. Further to this any of you out there who are students would be interested in pay as you go broadband? The idea behind this being that broadband would be readily available to students without having to worry about bills.

Let me know any questions or comments you have on the above.:)

Would pay-as-you-go broadband be of interest? 80 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    11% 9 votes
    Maybe
    88% 71 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NOT ANOTHER BEAM :(

Anyway students are in big cities with plenty of choice already. This tecnhology will not be available back of Belmullet with nothing .....thats unless its VSAT :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dizzy

Well if someone can give me broadband that doesn't charge over a thousand for installation and over €127 per month for rental then I will be happy.

Area: Croghan, County Roscommon.

PS: Willing to be a guinea pig and testify to their brilliance if they can sort me out asap!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Between Claremorris And Knock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 oigeone

Thanks for the replies guys. The more info i can get the better. They should be rolling out in about three to four weeks so i'll keep you posted as to the areas and whats on offer. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

Curraghboy, Co Roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Whites Cross, Co. Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Anywhere outside the yellow circles:

4kmExchangesEnabled.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irongolem_

Kilworth... nobody, but nobody covers kilworth, Cork. Fermoy, yes. Waterford, Mitchelstown even - yes. Kilworth, not on your life.. well, burn-a-hole-in-your-pocket-dumb-idea-sattelite does but I'm no rockefella; so I HOPE this is not another sattelite con..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan 10

Aghacashel / Aughnasheelin area of Co. Leitrim.

Stan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

oigeone wrote:
    I know of a new broadband provider that is coming online here in Ireland

Care to add any substance to get us excited? Type of technology, type of locations being considered, approximate/max install/rental prices, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

rathconrath mullingar. i presume its going to be wireless bb, whats the price for a 1meg down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭allnight_2002

Lombardstown mallow co. cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

is that the eircom FWA coverage map damien m supplied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

shortys94 wrote:
    is that the eircom FWA coverage map damien m supplied?
    No. Each circle represents a BB enabled exchange.
    This is the FWA map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

as Cgarvey stated ..any further update on this ..as it has gone awfully quiet

Hey guys,

sorry for the delay in my reply. I've been abroad for the last few days. I'll be speaking to the powers that be later on this evening and i'll get back to you guys with some info on this. Check back here tonight but if i don't get a chance this evening i'll definitely have something posted for you guys tomorrow. Thanks for the info and keep it coming. Damien.m and Kaizersoze thanks for the maps. Again sorry for the delay. I'll get some info sorted today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Pay as you go... as in the same exact thing as Dial-Up...? o.O

What's the point of that?

Rather pay for so much a month of unlimited access, even on a CAP - doubt I'd ever hit it.

BeerWolf wrote:
    Pay as you go... as in the same exact thing as Dial-Up...? o.O

What's the point of that?

Rather pay for so much a month of unlimited access, even on a CAP - doubt I'd ever hit it.

Ok this one i can answer before speaking with the guys. The idea behind this pay as you go is that it would be unlimited, you simply pay for your month in advance (or any part thereof) so that you are not tied to a contract! single fee which varies on the size of line you want and if i am not mistaken will include free voip minutes(although that bit i have to check). Again i'll get more info on that as well later on and will get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But that's the same as all other broadband options in Ireland. You pay for all of them in advance either monthly or bi-monthly. Unless of course this allows you to pay for a month here and there without paying for every month. That would be different though I'm not sure if it would be usefull. How are the payments made, direct debit, cheque?

I'd imagine the bigger drawback for students or renters would be the cost of installing a phone line, and the line rental that goes with that, if it's DSL broadband or the cost of getting wireless equipment installed. With wireless there's also the drawback that the landlord or management company may not allow an aerial to be installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I think I understand what you mean, you could pay for it like a top up card for your mobile. Buy a month use it for the month then it runs out. If its like that how would the customers get the equipment? You would end up charging them a hefty price because they wouldnt be under contract to stay with you. Sounds like a nice Idea would be useful if you stopped beating around the bush and just explained it outright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

pm. wrote:
    rathconrath mullingar. i presume its going to be wireless bb, whats the price for a 1meg down

Can you not get lastmilebroadband PM?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Calverstown Co Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

between avoca and rathdrum (whose exchanges are BB enabled), along the R752 in Co. Wicklow.

Though from what I hear you would have to put in lines without the splitters that those cheap robbng monopolistic bastards at Eircom use

oigeone

any news ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Lombardstown mallow co. cork
    Seconded :-) - To be precise, between Lombardstown & Glantane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Kazu wrote:
    oigeone

any news ?????

Yeh oige1 have you been talkin´to "the guys" about when they start rolling out the mesh network?

invest4deepvalue.com

sounds like a troll :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I don't believe a word of this. Some guy comes on to boards and says he knows of a broadband company who're in the process of setting up who'll basically servie everyone who can't get broadband as it is (rural areas). My arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

have to agree with you on this one ..gone very quiet ...and who the hell is gonna provide BB to the rural areas :confused:

• Advertisement

Ok i'm back. I've been away on holidays hence the delay in any response. At the moment i've been told that a feasability study is being done on what way the broadband is going to be provided and what kind of deal they are going to offer. Apparently the red tape in this country is unreal when it comes to broadband with the result that we are one of the worst countries in the world when it comes to broadband uptake. One of the biggest problems is that the service is not being provided only in certain areas. Thats what the feasability study is about and why they are interested in providing in areas where its not yet availible. I've asked for some technical info etc but i've been told that they won't provide that until closer to the time when they are ready to start providing. Let's face it, it's still all about buisness and they still want to make money so they aren't going to show their hand just yet. As soon as I have something concrete i'll post it here. I'm interested in this myself because at the moment i'm with eircom and their customer care is disastrous. You just get passed from one department to the next and the only way you can get anything sorted is by going on boards like this and asking other people.

The only thing I can say for now is be patient. As soon as I get anything of interest it will be posted here.

Advertisement