Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband coverage

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Gort na Scairte,
    Ballymakeera,
    Macroom,
    Cork

anyone with any ideas that don't cost a grand to install and then €100 for a 2gb monthly download?

cheers tin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

The reason why broadband isnt available in remote parts of the country is because it doesnt make business sense to deliver it. Its the same as An Post delivering up the side of a mountain. Its a loss maker, just as it is for Eircom to enable exchanges where take-up won't justify the cost. same reason why cable TV is only in large population areas.
    I find it highly unlikely that some company is going to come along and fill in the blanks on the map - unless they are going to be able to charge huge money for it. Unless maybe the guys are the St Vincent de Paul...

This is a crock of ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

oigeone wrote:
    at the moment i'm with eircom and their customer care is disastrous. You just get passed from one department to the next.

Tut Tut...... Never knock a compeitor, makes you look very unprofessional...:rolleyes:

oleras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

,Co leitrim leitrim leitrim leitrim leitrim leitrim please would be a good few customers around here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

I got a PM from this crowd one way satellite yeppie :rolleyes: oigeone i hope this isnt the company :eek:

Rural Broadband

Have a look at www.crosscountrybroadband.com

porky pig

Adverts | Blog | Friends Rural Broadband

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

better report porky pig then and who the **** is rural broadband :p ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I got the very same email Kazu, it was obviously in connection to this thread then if you got it as well.

One way Satellite, yeah, that's the answer I've been looking for all this time to my lack of broadband due to my rural location.. what have I been thinking?, I'm missing out on great deals that incorporate 1gb download caps, 512k connection speeds and latency that makes gaming impossible; not forgetting I'd still be using my delightful 56k modem for uploads.

Can someone tell me why Satellite broadband is even classified as broadband, for the price you pay the actual service you get is ****, it's glorified ISDN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

And if you want any kind of decent upload with one-way satellite you'll also need ISDN costing you twice the line rental and twice the per-minute phone charges :rolleyes:

Short of covering the entire country in a wireless broadband network, which I'd imagine would be extremely expensive, the only feasible solution is satellite Internet access (which is not broadband). In itself that's nothing new, so unless they're going to offer a two-way service, with a low setup cost (or free), low monthly rates and large transfer allowance then it'll be pretty much ignored like the rest of the satellite operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭knm

The map posted by Damien.M is pretty accurate. You are wasting your time posting your un-broadbanded areas.
    The present situation will not change until the government and the Minister for Communciations, Noel Dempsey decide that it is going to change.
    The best that we can do is lobby our local politicians in the runup to the general election. Again, you are probably wasting your time doing this - full stop.
    Have a look at Noel Dempseys' website forum Only 5 posts.
    Now, there's an idea. Maybe we could all sign up to this forum and kick up some ****. Will it make a difference? Who knows? Will your vote make a difference next year?

I've just made a post there. The revolution starts here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

students are *the* one group of people who pay as you go broadband would not be suitable for.
    Your "ISP" needs some serious work if you think targeting students with thos package is viable.
    Have you ever seen a student online? They (we)stay on all day and night.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

knm wrote:
    Have a look at Noel Dempseys' website forum Only 5 posts.
    Heh. I just spotted something on that site. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

It's viral marketing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

Viral marketing and viral advertising refer to marketing techniques that seek to exploit pre-existing social networks to produce exponential increases in brand awareness, through viral processes similar to the spread of an epidemic. It is word-of-mouth delivered and enhanced online; it harnesses the network effect of the Internet and can be very useful in reaching a large number of people rapidly

:rolleyes: ban the swine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I got the pm about crosscountrybroadband too.

The costs are prohibitive, as you still need dialup. The filthy swines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 goonthedan

what about broadband in riverstown , co sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

goonthedan wrote:
    what about broadband in riverstown , co sligo
    According to www.broadband.gov.ie, DSL is available in Riverstown, and Fastcom supply fixed wireless service.

is that any good????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Grainne

urgently need bb in cross, co. mayo

no so
    rry

Advertisement