Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second BB Connection

• 26-06-2006 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hello,
    I just have a quick question. I've had eircom broadband for a while now but want to change providers, possibly to digiweb. I've noticed in the past, adverts for bb saying that the prices were subject to first time connection. Is this still the case? Does this mean first ever bb connection or first connection with a particular provider? Does anyone know if this is the case with digiweb? Is there any way for a different provider to know whether you have been previously connected to bb anyway??
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I was told by Utv sometime ago that the sign up offers are for "New to broadband" not new to <company>. Whether that is to be trusted or not I can not say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

paulm17781 wrote:
    I was told by Utv sometime ago that the sign up offers are for "New to broadband" not new to <company>. Whether that is to be trusted or not I can not say.
    At one point eircom wholesale offered a rebate to the DSL resellers for every new connection they made. The rebate was from eircom wholesale to the reseller, not to the end user. There was no obligation on the reselllers to pass it on, but obviously they used the poo of money that they received in rebates to build special offers to try to get new DSL customers.

eircom wholesale didn't care whether the resellers packages applied to first tme customers or to switchers - it didn't make any difference to them because they were only giving a rebate to the resellers for brand new connections. It was entirely up to each reseller to make up their own mind about whether to offer free installations to switchers, or not.

Resellers set their own terms and conditions. One reseller might offer special offers to all comers, another reseller might only offer special offers to first-timers. Next month there might be a new special offer from reseller A that has different terms and conditions than the offers they had last month. If you want to know what the terms and conditions of a particular providers offers are today, then you have to read those terms and conditions today - what they said last month may no longer apply, and you can be fairly certain that 2nd hand information from here that relates to someone elses experiences in 2004 are not worth the paper they're (not) written on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dmulla

Thanks for the replies lads. Much appreciated!
    Actually, one more thing....is it possible for a different provider to know if you previously had bb installed?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 drogfood

check out this site if u wanna switch your broadband provider - i found em thru a friend, as long as your out of contract u can do what u want, take out ur eircom and go wireless, use voip, i think they do digiweb and also that new metro service - well worth a look www.switch4.ie

Advertisement