Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite 1way or 2way

• 26-06-2006 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hello,

On to eircom today regarding FWA and even though they couldn't tell me if I could get it or not, I don't think I can because of the location. (Can only see fields and trees).

So now I am in between one-way or two-way satellite. I need the satellite for working from home, which consists mainly of emailing.

For some reason the guy in Eircom didn't know what uploading was, so could not advise:mad:

If I get the one way, I will have to get the phone connected, which I planned to anyway, but how much 'uploading' would the average person do, and will I tie up my line from having it constantly connected? Will it be like dial-up in a sense?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If you're going to be sending/receiving alot/large emails then 2-way would be the way to go. With 1-way you download/receive from the satellite and send/upload through your phoneline (dialup). With 2-way you upload and download via the satellite, so it's faster.
    1-way is around 50euro p/m and 2-way is around 100euro p/m plus installation cost. If you go for 1-way you wouldn't feel spending another 50euro on dialup so 2-way would be a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Hello Dizzy

I am currently using 2 way satellite broadband from Digiweb. I am paying €100 a month ex VAT.

TOday I have just found out I may be able to avail of FWA, and since my Dad is no longer working from the web, we are not prepared to be spending as much on a service. I am going to call eircom tomorrow and maybe ask them to survey my site, anyway, if all goes well I may be in a posisiton to sell my digiweb equipment, if you are interested. It is in perfect condition. But I am just letting you know, I cant really foretell what will happen.

Advertisement