Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for Dublin Marathon - help\advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I reckon you should go see a physio. At least you might find out whats causing the pain... Either that or take a few days rest, your body could be just telling you to ease up a bit.

I tried some energy gels on a long run this week, they made me really I'll. I drank about 100g of gel over 16 miles, I felt like vomitting as soon as I started drinking the stuff. I reckon I'll take a pass on them and just bring some Jaffa Cakes on the long runs... they're are full of Carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

I reckon I'll skip my 4 mile run tonight, and tomorrow was a rest day anyhow. I'll have to see how I feel before I decide on my 10 mile run on Sunday, but that's one I'd rather not skip! Still expect to wake up in pain tomorrow though, as I did after a rest day on Tues.

Sunday's 10 miler is also the run where I'm going to try my first energy gel, just to test it. Which ones were you using StaggerLee? I suppose they'll work for some people, and not for others. I'll be trying the High5+ one, as that was the sample I got. Only worry with Jaffacakes would be that after a while you'd be trying to digest them while running. That said, they are delicious! :)

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

does the + version of the high5 have caffeine in it Jasonb? If that doesn't agree with you it might be worth trying the normal caffeine free version.

Oh, and if you haven't been to a physio yet then I'd suggest going to one. It's 45 days till the marathon, you're getting close to your peak training weeks and you're carrying an injury that's cutting into your training.

While you're there you can get the rest of you checked out as well. The piece of mind alone is worth it imo if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

jasonb wrote:
    Sunday's 10 miler is also the run where I'm going to try my first energy gel, just to test it.

Don't be put off if it makes you puke. Different brands agree with different people.Powerbar makes me puke, I can only handle two Maxims a day, USN ones are nice but sweet. SiS ones are the ones I use bulky but go down easy. Try some instead of a snack :) Just to see does the texture and taste agree with you.

Yeah, quozl, the + version does have caffine. It wasn't a deliberate choice, just the free sample I got. If it doesn't agree with me, I will try the normal one, or other types ( like tunney ) suggests, just to check and see. It's all about finding which one works for me I think!

As for the physio, yeah, I think I'm gonna have to go to one, it's too much of a risk that I'm doing damage to myself, or even just that I'm not getting enough sleep! I'll have to see if I can find one in Kildare, as I live in Naas. Like you said, even if it's just for a check up to make sure things are ok, that's not a bad thing...

J.

• Advertisement

I think I tried Maxims , I'll have to check. I got them in a healthfood shop in Clarehall. They come in 25ml sachets or 75ml containers, kinda like a capri-sun. I tried a single 25ml sachet on long runs befroe, it was OK. On monday I had a couple of good swigs from the larger version, 1 at about 6 miles, the second after about 11, I felt awful after the second dose. I'd like to Try other brands, high5 sound good but hard to get... Where else can I look?

Thanks Tunney, I reckon I'll go with the Go Gel. Only £2 for delivery.

Good call, just ordered a couple of the Go Gels myself, to give them a go. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll have tried a few different energy sources, and figured out which one to use for the big day...

J.

Oh, and just made an appointment with a Physio for Monday morning. Had a quick chat on the phone with them, and they reckon some back stretching exercises should do the trick, but they'll give me a full check on Monday. Also advised me to skip my run tonight, so that I get a couple of days off, and told me some simple exercises to do until I see them. So they sound decent enough...

J.

• Advertisement

Goodstuff. A couple of days off might do the trick. I did that last week and felt better for it.

I picked up a couple of Powerbar Power gels at Lunchtime in Natures way. I'll give them a go over the weekend to see how they settle..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

i never tested the gels before my first marathon, had one at 15 miles and it was disgusting but you can really feel it working.

It's like the first time you drink a sports drink in the middle of a 20k and you realise that the stuff actually works!

Just back in training after 7 weeks off. ITB followed by trekking in Peru. So if you see me on the 30th of October it will be a miracle :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Couple of points on energy gels... Make sure you drink lots and lots of water with them, otherwise they are virtually impossible to digest and you can cramp or feel sick. And you don't have to use them. I never have - they taste like snot - I just use an energy drink and energy bars. You will need something though. You could also look at glucose tablets which I used to use.

And don't rely on the gatorade in Dublin - the stops are very far apart and it's given out in cups, which makes it hard to get enough on board to make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

i did the dublin marathon in 2004 and the gatorade was given out in bottles.

There was a problem with the one the water stations it was a mile further on than it was supposed to be. It nearly killed me.

I never used power gels or anything like that in training even when running over 20 miles. Sports drinks seem to do the trick for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Couple of points on energy gels... Make sure you drink lots and lots of water with them, otherwise they are virtually impossible to digest and you can cramp or feel sick. And you don't have to use them. I never have - they taste like snot - I just use an energy drink and energy bars. You will need something though. You could also look at glucose tablets which I used to use.

And don't rely on the gatorade in Dublin - the stops are very far apart and it's given out in cups, which makes it hard to get enough on board to make a difference.

as amadeus says, only 3 gatorade stops last year, all with tiny cups, you couldn't even grab a few as they were filling them up as you arrived.

you deffo need your own fuel, gels are easiest to carry but are hard on your stomach. for bars and drinks ideally you need people to either meet you at a various points or else cycle to various ones along the route. This is great if you have someone to do it. They can carry extra clothes too and if the weather is like last year this could be a life saver for you..

Thanks for all of that Info...

The Jury is still out on the energy Gels. I'm doing the adidas half marathon on Saturday, I'm going to give the Powerbar Gels a try then.

After that i have 2 long runs left in my schedule, I might give the Bars a go then. I run with a BunBag so carrying them isn't a problem, unless they are of Toblerone Dimensions...

I hope they arent giving out papercups of Gaterade at the marathon this year..

Hmm... Interesting to hear that Gels are tough to digest, especially as they're marketed as being so easy to digest!

I've got two different types of gel to try. Will give them a go during the half-marathon this weekend. I've also sent an email to the Dublin Marathon organisers asking them if the Gatorade ( and water ) will be in bottles or cups.

J.

Just an update...

According to the Marathon organisers, there will be three Gatorade Thirst Quencher stations, and the Gatorade will be given out in bottles. On their map the Gatorade Stations are at Mile 8, 12 and 19 roughly.

There will also be water stations every three miles or so ( at Miles 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 19, 22, 24 ). The water will be given out in small bottles.

So maybe the Gatorade will help us through it...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Small bottles rule!

I almost simultaneously drowned and coughed up a lung during the Longford Half marathon while trying to drink from a plastic cup somewhere around the 9 mile marker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

i have bought and used some lucozade sports gel packs in boots (and got some funny looks from the staff!). i havent seen anywhere else that sells any others high5 or otherwise....can anybody tell me which are the best ones (or is it all subjective)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Yeah ... just got the lucozade gels in boots (+ energy bars and recovery drinks) ... will give them a shot over the w/e at the Dublin half. Have used gels before and have to say that they seem to have a noticeable effect - a second wind so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Hi there,

I know some of you were on looking for the High 5 gels we are expecting them in on Friday (tomorrow). If you want to call to confirm that we have them the phone number for the shop is (01) 2761525

Damian

Hey Stagger Lee...

Just wondering, did you get your Go Gels? I ordered two, and there's no sign of them yet, though my Credit Card has been deducted the cost.

I've been to the physio twice now, and the exercises she gave me seem to have sorted out my back problems. Got new runners too ( thanks Damien! ) and I've broken them in with a 3 and 6 mile run. So I'm probably as ready as I can be for the half-marathon tomorrow. Here's hoping the weather calms down...

See you all then, not that I'll recognise any of you! Best of luck to everyone who's running.

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Seanmcf

Hey Guys,
    I use powerbar gels. They taste pretty good and have added amino acids plus if you want an extra kick they have a few flavours with caffeine in them as well.
    I get them all here: www.irishfit.eu
    They also have the protein recovery shakes and electrolyte powder drinks which are great after a long hard workout.
    Sean

Me again...

Just wondering, does anyone know where to buy Gatorade in Dublin? As it's what's going to be given out during the marathon, I wouldn't mind giving it a try out...

J.

Gatorade is difficult to get. There is a chemist in Walkinstown that stocks it. Its not that sweet but doesn't pack that many calories.

Hi All,

Just wondering how everyone got on in the race? I found it fairly tough, I went around in 1:53, I was hoping for sub 1:50 but basically gassed on the second last mile. I tried a couple of Powerbar energy gels en route, no adverse side affects but they tasted vile, the worst so far.

I was lapped by the winner on his finishing straight... 1:06 for him, very impressive. Just heard Ray D'Arcy saying he did it in 1:37, fair play to him..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

This was a really useful run for me. I've been battling a knee injury so am behind training a little. I decided I'd do this half slowy ... firstly to see if I could get around without the knee nobbling me and secondly to see if I could reach 13 miles with plenty of gas in the tank (as if I was doing the full marathon). The knee held up well till mile 9 and then stopped me but strangely for only a minute or two ... after a stretch and change of gait it didn't bother me for the rest of the race (or importantly the day after). By mile 12 I was feeling good and was able to up my pace for the last mile or so and even managed to sprint home for the last half k ... I even jogged back to my car. Finished in 1'59" which I know is slow but I'm looking to do the full marathon in as close to 4 hours (3'59" if possible!!!) as I can and this gave me a good indication that if I start out slowly and keep a steady 8.50 to 9.00 minute mile pace I might have a chance. It was interesting how difficult it was to keep a slow pace at the start when everyone is passing you and to remember that you're using the race to gain information on how to run the real thing. Overall I was pleased and feel it has really clarified aspects of my race plan for October 30th. I also used the Lucozade gels at miles five and nine which I found easy to swallow with water. I presume they were useful in some way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I did it as part of my first 20 mile training run. 5 miles before and 2 miles after. I got a bit lost during my pre-race cross-country run and almost missed the start of the race :)

It was really nice to have so much company for miles 5 to 18, made them fly by. I tried four high5 gels coming up to different water stations and no problems at all. I'm planning on getting 6 into me during the marathon itself. Good old iron stomach! Pity my legs aren't as reliable :)

• Advertisement

Good to hear everyone got on so well, especially you Quozl, getting your 20 miler done!

I took it nice and easy, running with a friend of mine. We'd both already done sub 2 hr 13 mile runs, so Sat was all about taking it easy and seeing how we felt at the end. Did a few miles at around 10 min 10 sec pace, and then did miles 8 and 9 at 9 min 30sec, before settling on 10 min pace after that. So we came in at around 2 hr 10 min or so. Very happy with that, cos while my legs and feet were sore, I could have done more.

Used Powerade the whole way around, and that definitely helped. Like I said, my feet were sore ( impact sore, not blister sore, the Kayanos have a little less cushioning than I'd like, but their motion control is perfect for me - I'm getting gel insoles to help with the cushioning! ).

Doing a 16 mile run this weekend, and 20 the weekend after, before I start to taper off. Even found a shop nearby with Gatorade, so I'll be using that in my training runs from now on. And all my runs from now on will be around the 9min 50sec mile mark, as I'll be delighted with that pace for thr marathon. I actually think I'll be able to beat my target 4hr 30 min!

Finally, if you're not running with someone, I really advise it. I've trained on my own all summer, but ran the half-marathon with a friend of mine, and it was so much easier. We'll definitely be running the big one together too...

J.

Advertisement