Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for Dublin Marathon - help\advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

jasonb wrote:
    I've only started to take energy ( gels, Mars Bars etc. ) near the end. So in my 16 mile run, I didn't start with the energy until around mile 10 or so. Is this a good idea, or should I really be looking at using gels from the first hour onwards? What do you reckon?
    I'd agree with hunnymonster, give it a few miles to empty pre-race carbohydrate drink from your stomach then start taking gels. You can only absorb them at a set rate so if you leave them till the later stage of the race you won't be able to get as many gels into you.

I'm planning on taking my first around mile 5 and then at 9,13,17,21. Possibly even 24. If it's not absorbed fast enough to help the run it should help the post-run at least ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Yeah, I'm practising taking them at miles 5,10,15,20 to see. So far so good. 20 miler this w/e. Cold coming on might just screw that up on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yeah, I'm getting really nervous now about getting a cold, or injured playing hockey or whatever, with only a few weeks to go! Once I get the 20 mile run out of the way, it won't be too bad, as if I have to miss a couple of shorter runs because of a cold it won't affect my training too much!

By the way, anyone any ideas where to find some SiS Go Gels in Dublin? Thanks!

J.

Hell yeah! Hello taper :)

It's all easy street from here on in I hope ;)

You got that right! :)

Did my 20 mile run yesterday. Still had feet / knee / hip problems, but I got through them. Taking the gels every 4 miles or so is definitely a good idea for me, and I also stopped every 5 miles for about a min just to stretch out my calves / quads / hamstrings, which gave my knees some relief! Despite the wind and the rain, I did just over 20 miles in 3 hrs 18 mins, and I'm feeling a lot more positive. Even managed to finish strong and speed up for the last while, which was cool, makes me realise I could have done more. Of course, the 'last mile mars bar' probably helped there!

So, all in all, I think it was a tougher run than the marathon, as I did it alone, and without the whole buzz of the marathon. Looking forward to the runs getting easier over the next few weeks.

Now, all I have to do is work on getting rid of the blisters I got ( from my new insoles ) and see if I can lessen the leg pain!

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Go gels can be bought in cyclesuperstore in tallaght or cyclelogical on the quays.

Cyclesuperstore also sell the USN gels which are nice tasting, smaller size and twice the calorie content.

I was advised to take a gel from 1:30 on the go and then every 20 minutes there after.

That was what I was planning to do in the marathon until my ITB flared up again and I've had to knock the idea on the head.

nice one Jason. I feel the same. If I'm able to run 20 miles of 25 sodding laps of herbert park on my own and finish strong then I'm sure I can go the extra 10k on the day :)

Sorry to hear about your ITB probems tunney.

Bloody head cold. Knackered my 20 mile plans and looks like i'll be out for another couple of days. Not sure what to do really but i'm definitely not running on this cold as I'm tired just walking about never mind trying to run. ITB is also reminding me of its existence ... it's really frustrating to think that I might miss the marathon despite months of prep ... but gotta think positively i guess. Got high five gels in AMphibian King on Sunday and a free gait analysis which was interesting.

Myksyk it's taper time anyway, missing that one 20 mile run is a blow but it doesn't ruin everything. Not by a long way. Neither should the ITB with luck, especially as your mileage is decreasing soon.
    So try not to get too down about it. Do what you can to help your ITB, get over the cold and relax a bit :)

Least that's what my sensible side would be telling me if I were in your position. Unfortunately my less sensible side is the one who shouts louder and is a pain to shut up ;) Good luck!

Thanks Quozl. I am still out with this damned cold though I'm flirting with the idea of doing a small run tonight (I'm going stir crazy, thinking I've lost loads of my cardio-v fitness and thinking I'll hardly be able to run a 10 mile never mind a marathon). On the other hand I'm trying to convince myself that the rest has done me good. Who knows! Best of luck to all as they taper and go through the same insanity!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

did my last big run last sunday (33km ~around 20-21 miles)...felt good for the first 28km...but the last 5km were a big strain...felt sore (think i might be getting a muscle problem around my hip!) and wrecked..still managed it ain around 3.25 ..but that didnt include stopping a few times to stretch ...hopefully now i can taper down and recuperate in time for the marathon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Andy27981

Hi ALL

Good to see all the training going well.

Started this thread ages ago and then completely forgot about it.

Personally my own training had been going brilliantly up until about 6 weeks ago - ive been dogged by knee problems (both knees). Am off to physio this evening.

I ran about 20/21 miles last w/e but as soon as i get around the 2hr mark the sore knees kick in. Anyway nothing (and i mean NOTHING) is going to stop me doing the marathon at this stage - but does anyone know anything about running injured???

Knees get really (unbareably) sore - must be just over use injury - but i still want to run marathon - I will take 4/5 wks off running afterwards - but what do people know about dealing with pain?? can you just take a painkiller while running? (i know prob not recommended)

What are other peoples experiences running injured ???

Its my own fault - all that road running - thought i was mr invinsible, paying the price now - yes this is my first marathon, yes ive learned my lesson ;)

Andy27981 wrote:
    does anyone know anything about running injured???

<snip>

What are other peoples experiences running injured ???

Its my own fault - all that road running - thought i was mr invinsible, paying the price now - yes this is my first marathon, yes ive learned my lesson ;)

Running injured? terrible idea, if you're injured skip the marathon. You will pay the price. 4-5 weeks might not be enough to get over whatever damage to do. Actually 4-5 months might not be enough, damage could be permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Andy27981

Yeah prob not the best idea ! not as easy as "just skip the marathon though" ive been training for 6 mnths now for this - would be heartbreaking to miss it - i'll see what physio say tonight and how training goes on sunday

really dont want to not do the marathon

hope everyone else's tapering going well, everyone prepared for the big day

Hi all...

Did my last 'speed' session on Wed night. Two one mile runs with a rest in between. Just to see, I really pushed it on the first mile, and did the mile in 6min 28sec. Was delighted with that, til I thought about it and realised that top marathon runners do 26.2 miles at around the 5 min mile mark.

5 min mile. I couldn't even break 6 mins for 1 mile! That's a mad amount of speed and fitness they have!

Anyhow, apart from that reality check, the taper is going fine, only 5 runs left now, four 3 mile runs, and one 5 mile run this Sun. Getting a massage on Wed to ease my hamstrings and calves, and looking forward to ( and dreading! ) the big day. Not long to go now!

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Hey Andy,

Think Tunney is right. There is no point trying to be superman by taking a lot of pain in the final 6 miles to finish the marathon. There's plenty more marathons to do, I know it seems like you've been training so long for this but I see more people coming in here with injuries that wouldn't have come about if they took their physio's advice in the first place and stopped running until the injury had healed.

Make sure you're going to a good physio who knows their stuff, tell them you really want to do the marathon and see what they say. Hopefully you'll get the all clear:D

A quick question for someone that has done Dublin before.

This will be my first time doing a marathon and I'm going to go sub three. My question is how early to I need to get there so that I can get far enough up the front to not be impeded by slower runners? An hour before hand? More? Is it possible to push up if you need too before it starts?

cheers - Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Hi All,

Just wondering how everyones Taper is going. I was reading about a phenomenon called Taper madness. It describes your mental state given the fact you've a lot more time on your hands during the taper to think about the training you've done and the upcoming race. The symtoms are, general restlessness, feeling sluggish, questioning your train and ability, questioning your equipment, shoes etc.

Is anyone else seeing these symtoms in themselves, I know I am, all of them..

Quick question about shoes... I've done most of my training in the same pair of shoes, theres a lot of mieage on them at this stage, i havent been too happy with them over the last couple of weeks, i reckon they're worn out. I bought a new pair about 6 weeks ago and have been using them on shorter runs, i havent done a long training run in them... Would anyone consider running the race in the newer shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Dave, just allow yourself enough travelling time. We arrived in nassua st at 8:40 (used trinity for warm up) & my mate (who was doing sub 2:45) got up close enough. Dublin is a really annoying marathon in that thereis no regulation of the start. You'll find yourself having to run around walkers.

Dave, also, completely ignore the time signs they put up. Everyone else does. If I were you I would get into the group directly behind the elites. you might get a couple of elbows but nothing worse than your typical open water swimming start.

• Advertisement

Had a deep tissue sports massage this morning ... closest thing to a mugging I've experienced!! And I paid for it!! Going back on Thursday for more of the same ... masochist!

I'm having my last massage tonight, and you're right, they put you through hell! It's all worth it in the end though!

Also doing my 2nd last training run tonight, only 3 miles. Then I have one more run on Sat ( another 3 miles ) and I'm done. I have to agree with StaggerLee, I've got far too much time on my hands now, and my mind's wandering. After 7 months of training, I've reached the end of my plan, so I'm now meant to be ready! :) I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to finish ( and hopefully in my time of 4:30 ), but it's my first time, and who knows? I've done up to 20 miles, so maybe at 21 miles my body will give in? I'll know on Monday! :)

As for your new shoes Stagger, I guess it comes down to how much you have done in them. Ideally you would have done a long run ( 15 miles+ ) with them, as the first time you use them for a long run shouldn't be the marathon! So unless you're very certain they won't cause problems, I'd stick with the ones you know. Of course, if they're knackered, that might not help either!

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Would agree with JasonB about the shoes, any problems I've had with my gear have only appeared on my 18m runs so unless you've tested them on a long distance I'd leave them at home.

As for taper madness, went on run last night and had roving mystery pains EVERYWHERE. Back, legs, shoulders, you name it, there was a pain it it!

completely normal apparently, (discovered after hyperventilating, rambling incoherently and panicking for ages before actually researching it!)

5 days to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 clarkwgriswold

Getting a little apprehensive myself. Haven't run over 21 miles before and hoping I don't hit the wall. Am prepared for all sorts of hardship on Mon....except rain.

the marathon is a race of two halves: THe first 20 miles where you'll feel great and the last 10 km where you'll want to die. The advice one of irelands top international marathoner's gave me was "if you're not seriously hurting by 18 miles, you're not trying hard enough". For people who have not run the full distance before, be prepared to feel very bad in the last couple of miles. BUT..... do don't have to hit the wall and it is largely to do with nutrition. Make sure you carb load effectively before the race and drink plenty of energy drink during the race. If you're starting to feel sluggish, you should have eaten or drunk soemthing about 20 mins ago!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tunney wrote:
    A quick question for someone that has done Dublin before.

This will be my first time doing a marathon and I'm going to go sub three. My question is how early to I need to get there so that I can get far enough up the front to not be impeded by slower runners? An hour before hand? More? Is it possible to push up if you need too before it starts?

cheers - Dave

you should be able to push your way up as long as you are there 30 mins or so before start. it may have been a bit easier last year as it was pissing rain and everyone was sheltering in macdonalds and the like. as said above ignore the time signs, i lined up at 3 hrs, going for under 4 and was overtaking people for first 2 miles. (turned out to be a bad idea but there you go!) a lot of near walkers line up near the front.

with the weather in mind black bags for wearing on your feet until near the start are a good idea. met loads of people along the way whose feet were in bits because they got so wet before the start, including a guy who walked the whole last 13 miles after never having had to stop in 15 previous marathons. don't underestimate the weather!
    not many people practise by starting long runs absolutely soaked to the skin!

best of luck for everyone on Monday..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

felt vaguely nauseous with fear before reading hunnymonster's last post, now feel as if I'm going to vomit my lunch over my keyboard... (sob, whimper)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

I have been reading this thread since it started some weeks back, and I think all the advice been given should be compiled, and somebody should write a book. I am doing my virgin marathon on monday, so I am quite nervous / scared /excited etc etc. and find all the info very informative

I got a great piece of advice yesterday which i have made my Marathon Mantra

Possitive Attitude - Negative Splits

Good luck to one and all. Remember, nobody plans to fail, but you will if you fail to plan. Plan everything for Monday and leave nothing to chance.

This is gonna be great!!!

Domer.

sorry, didn';t mean to bring anyone's lunch back up. It it was easy everyone could do it. You're all part of an elite group of people who have worked hard and prepared for this. It's only a couple of hours of hard work but it will change your life. Some of you like Tunney are experiences athlete's in other fields. For you it's a real chance to prove yourselves as runners and to push your boundries in a way you've never done before. For others, who just woke up one morning and decided they wnted to do this, it's a real experience. You're going to walk (or hobble) into work next tuesday morning with the biggest smile on your face. You'll be marathoners. The best piece of advice I had before my first race was "Enjoy your first marathon, you only get a first one once and unless it's an enjoyable experience you won't be back for a second"

• Advertisement

Well, it's been lashing rain continuously for the last few hours in Kildare, so unless that eases up a bit, I won't be doing my second last training run this evening! I've run in the rain before of course, but there's no point being stupid, doing a 3 mile run in the lashing rain.

Of course there's a fear of the last 6 miles, as most of us have run 20, so it's the last 6 that are unknown. I'm hoping I've enough Gels and Energy drink on the day to ensure the only thing I hit is the finish line! I'm gonna bring my own piece of ribbon with me, and break it over my chest when I get there! :)

The latest forecast I heard for Monday was overcast but dry, not too hot or cold with a light breeze. To me, that's the perfect weather, so while that forecast will probably change, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hunnymonster's right, we've all put a lot of work into this, no matter our level or experience. Let's just try to enjoy it, and feel rightly proud afterwards!

J.

Advertisement