Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for Dublin Marathon - help\advice

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

jasonb wrote:
    Well, it's been lashing rain continuously for the last few hours in Kildare, so unless that eases up a bit, I won't be doing my second last training run this evening! I've run in the rain before of course, but there's no point being stupid, doing a 3 mile run in the lashing rain.

GET OUT THERE! Do your second last training run in the rain and wind, on the day if you start struggle you can think to yourself "I didn't f*cking well run in the wind and rain to back off now". Plus you never know what the day could bring.

I am getting quite nervous about it now, feck it in a week it will be all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I'd a lovely 3 mile run in the lashing rain at lunch time. No over-heating and I get a wicked enjoyment from running by all the people freezing as they walk in the rain while I'm toasty from running.

I guess I'm just not a very nice person :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0031

Feck, heavy rain on Sunday, not looking good for monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

oh no... was sunny this morning. Bad sign.:(

I don't know if it was this forum or another where it was mentioned but be prepared for rain on Monday by wrapping your stuff in plastic bags before putting it in your kit bag. Loads of people collected their stuff last year to find it was absolutely soaked through due to the rain. Its placed in an open air area so make sure to double wrap everything to ensure you've nice dry, snug clothes to change into afterwards...

Only thing I'm worried about is that none of my long runs have been wet so I don't know if my running gear will chaff/rub/blister in the rain.

Maybe carry a small pot of vaseline with me and can always chuck it if I don't need it. Experience runners-is this a feasible idea or is the damage already done by the time you decide you need some vaseline?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

nope, taking the vaseline is a good idea. I often take one of those little pots they sell as lip balms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

hi folks
    a quick question here from a virgin - ( a marathon vigin dat is!). Have been running for a year and did the 10 and 13 miler (1 hr. 40mins) in the phoenix park recently. The 13 miles is furthest i have ever run - am i goin to be able to run the whole thing on monday or am i foolin myself? - i see yee all talkin bout 16 mile and 20 mile runs - tried to do a 16 miler on saturday but got really bored and hungry after bout 11 miles. Should i try and do a 16 miler tomorrow or Friday ?
    thanks in advance
    m

definately do not try to run 16 miles tomorrow. It can be done though. go out conservatively on monday and expect to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Mick, it's not great that 13 is the farthest but if you pace yourself much slower for the first half (say a 1'55"-2'00") it could be possible. All sorts of wonderful and weird things happen after 16-18 miles. Long runs on your own are painfully boring but like the half in the phoenix it makes a big difference to have everyone around so I don't think that'll be a factor ... excruciating pain will however play a part!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Taken from http://www.meteireann.ie

3 Day Outlook

Friday night will be mild and breezy with occasional rain or drizzle, chiefly in western and northern parts. Continuing mild and breezy on Saturday with further rain at times. Some bright or sunny spells also, especially in southern and eastern areas. Most places will get off to a fine start on Sunday, but more rain will spread across the country from the Atlantic during the day. At this stage Monday looks like being mostly dry with bright or sunny spells. It will be mild, with a light to moderate southerly breeze.

Looks good. Keep those fingers crossed and bury the child of prague!!

Domer

Hopefully we'll be spared heavy rain ... there are enough unknown factors at this stage without that and the prospect of being cold, wet and blistered. Had another massage this morning ... I swear I actually got nauseous!! However I have found out that I am wound up like a spring and need to be doing a lot more stretching to avoid injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sonderval

hi folks
    a quick question here from a virgin - ( a marathon vigin dat is!). Have been running for a year and did the 10 and 13 miler (1 hr. 40mins) in the phoenix park recently. The 13 miles is furthest i have ever run - am i goin to be able to run the whole thing on monday or am i foolin myself? - i see yee all talkin bout 16 mile and 20 mile runs - tried to do a 16 miler on saturday but got really bored and hungry after bout 11 miles. Should i try and do a 16 miler tomorrow or Friday ?
    thanks in advance
    m

You know, lots of people told me I was not doing enough milage for last years marathon (my 1st, no less). The most I did was 15 miles. Maybe I'm just special (not likely), but I was able to complete it in 4:40 minutes and that was with miserable starting conditions no less. I have not run more then 15 miles this year either and I know I can run this marathon well.

So don't be discouraged just because others are running 20 miles each weekend for ****s and giggles. If you persevere you'll make it through just fine.

Everyone hurts after a marathon. Downstairs backwards and all that :)

See you on the day!

(PLEASE DONT RAIN THIS YEAR!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Experience runners-is this a feasible idea or is the damage already done by the time you decide you need some vaseline?????

I'd be of the opinion that you need vaseline before the race. Nips and groin are the two main areas, some folk even rub it on their armpits. I highly recommend covering the nipples cos jogger's nipple is not just some uncomfortable feeling, it's sore, very sore!

When I ran London there were folk standing at the first aid tents with big dollops of vaseline in their hands waiting for jogger's to grab some as they passed. It's easy to apply as you run. Dunno if there'll be a similar set up in Dublin though, this is my first dublin marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Thanks clum... Greasy piglet will be the look to go for this Monday morning so!

With regard to the low mileage question, I've been following a program "the non-runners marathon trainer" which I'm sure you've seen a few people wax lyrical about. The most mileage I've done on the program has been 18 miles! I think its pretty common to have complete nerve attacks about whether you've done enough mileage/drunk enough water/eaten enough carbs.... So I'm just trying to relax and looking forward to the marathon (when not feeling sick with fear of course!)

Dublin is definately the poor relation when it comes to marathons. Loads of UK races have first aiders standing with vaseline on lollipop sticks for you to grab as you run past.

In addition to nips and groin, I would put some vaseline anywhere that there are seams on your clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭billyhead

I would just like to wish everyone the best of luck in Mondays race. Im hoping to break the 3 hour mark myself and it will be my first Marathon. I was just wondering what sort of recovery should we take post race i.e would it be advisable to go for a gentle swim or light walk etc on Monday evening or should we just take it easy for the rest of the day and put the legs up. Also when should we start back into running again after? If anyone has any previous experience of running a marathon I would be interested to know how long after the race did you do active exercise. I know I should just focus on getting the race done before I ask these questions. I am looking forward to Monday big time.:D

Billyhead, this is prehaps the one area of marathoning that experts still disagree on. Some say a gentle run monday evening will help, some suggest complete rest for 3-5 days! I tend to keep moving for the first couple of days. lots of walking, stretching, yoga and swimming but I rarely run for about a week after a marathon. I've tried running the day after but for me at least it only leads to injury as I change my running style to minimise pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hi all...

Just want to say best of luck to everyone, we've been swapping messages and advice here for months, hopefully the race goes well for everyone, and hopefully it stays dry!

With regards to the vaseline, I wouldn't just depend on it for your nips, I'd put some plasters on too. The vaseline on it's own will wear off after a few miles, and I really doubt they'll be giving vaseline out. I'll definitely be carrying some with me, but that'll be for my armpits, as the seam on my top tends to run a bit.

Everyone just warm up well, take it easy for the first mile or two, take on lots of water / energy drink / gels / whatever you're having, enjoy the race, and finish strong!

Hopefully on Monday I'll beat my own target time of 4:30, but either way, hopefully I just finish! Looking forward to getting that medal, I've worked damn hard for it!

J.

Regarding the old nip chafing ... I haven't had personal experience of it but there's always a first time I guess. My sister-in-law has these transparent 3"x3" sticky 'second skin' type plasters (she's a nurse). They're ultra sticky (shower proof etc) and I think they'd be perfect for covering and protecting that area. I might stick a few in the 'emergency' pocket in the shorts along with my neurofen and gels!

Did a 4 miler last night and between my recent carbo loading and feeling better after mostly recovering from a recent cold I felt good and strong - hope it lasts!

Now ... where's me rice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Billyhead, this is prehaps the one area of marathoning that experts still disagree on. Some say a gentle run monday evening will help, some suggest complete rest for 3-5 days! I tend to keep moving for the first couple of days. lots of walking, stretching, yoga and swimming but I rarely run for about a week after a marathon. I've tried running the day after but for me at least it only leads to injury as I change my running style to minimise pain.
    I'd agree with this. You'll probably feel pretty stiff for at least 2-3 days. I think it would be very unwise to try running while you have any stiffness remaining. Personally, I would not try running again until at least a week after.

Best of luck to everyone on Monday. Hope you're feeling good and ready for the race. Let's face it ... at the VERY least it will be an 'interesting' experience!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Best of luck to everybody :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I heading down to Dublin now, so I'll be offline till after the marathon, so the best of luck to everyone, and I hope that you all reach whatever goals you have set.

I hope yesterday lived up to everyone's expectations. I had a lovely day out and was pleased the weather held for us. Hope you all achieved your goals.

Advertisement