Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FON Social Router

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Cheers for clearing that up as it would have kind defeated the point of free wifi router if the wifi router only allowed you to connect to an insecure hotspot.

all happy now well done fon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

The whole FON thing is an interesting idea but what troubles me is the fact that any traffic going through the public part of the network can't be distinguished from other traffic passing through your net connection.

If randomers are using the connection for dodgy/illegal purposes, that might cause some problems for the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

what problems can it really cause? Fon has records of who was connected through your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Got mine the other day and all setup fine. I do however have an issue with the amount of heat generated by the unit. Within a few minutes the device was too hot to hold and I ended up plugging it out after a few hours. Any comments from anyone regarding this. As the old Harp add goes "I could fry an egg on it".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got mine yesterday and noticed that it got very hot as well. I saw something earlier where someone had taken the thing apart and managed to squeeze a fan inside the case as well but it looked like far too much effort to me.

There seems to be quite a few orange spots showing up on the FON map of Dublin but not very many of them are also showing with the green spot to indicate that the routers are actually online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

As I said I did have it on for a few hours but I have a big issue with the heat its generating. I'll email their support and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Got mine yesterday and yes it does get warm but not what I would consider overly hot. I have about 7 Access points running in my house (Various Brands) and others get just as warm.

I am very impressed at the range of the fon. It's by far the strongest signal of all the AP's and I was using it in what is usually a bit of a black spot in the house using an atheros CM9 mini pci card in the laptop.

Advertisement