Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Managing a menagerie

Options
  • 26-06-2006 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

Recently I took in two tiny little kittens which have since ballooned into two rapidly growing kittens which are due their first innoculations today. I had EVERY intention of finding them a good home but exahusted all possible trustworthy homes, thus leaving me with a very relieved partner (he fell in love with them straight away) and one quite miffed bunny.

There are two buns in total, the female is vaguely curious about the kittens, doesn't like when they meow, but I presume that is because it is so high-pitched and sounds distressing to her and thus might change as they get older. The male isn't quite so tolerant, but for perfectly reasonable things. He charges them if they go near Daisy (he's fiercly protective of her) and if they try to come upstairs (the upstairs is his kingdom :) )

I was wondering does anybody else have experience of mixing buns and cats that they would like to share. Anything to watch out for, good or bad? Any advice on how to get the male bun to relax a bit more with the kittens without affecting his male pride ;) ?

Thanks all for any advice you might have!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

All I can say is cats and rabbits can live together however never leave them unsupervised and when going out lock them away from the rabbits. Much and all as I love cats their instinct can take over when you least expect it, their best buddy can become their dinner. As long as the rabbits aren't stressed they can be together but just be extra careful. Rabbits can be stressed and not always show it, they like to make our lives difficult that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

Hi GuineaPigRescue,

Thanks for that. Of course I would never leave them alone, there's always the chance of rough play even from the kittens which could be terrifying for a rabbit once the kittens become cats!
    I've been keeping an eye out for any undue stress on the buns too but they seem to be doing fine. Apart from the odd bout of outrage at the kittens for thinking they can use the stairs, it all seems to be good so far! :D

Advertisement