Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps in garden

Options
  • 26-06-2006 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Was minding me own business yesterday catching some rays and the garden was suddenly covered in hundreds of wasp like insects. Did not hang around to check what exactly they were as i was too busy getting the kids inside. Looking out the window they did not seem to be anywhere else except our garden (we live in an estate in the town). They disappeared but i have a feeling that there may be a nest in the back garden. There is a wall there and it has some sort of creeping honeysuckle type bush which covers it. Last year I found an old nest there with a few wasps crawling around in it. Is it possible that there is a new nest there? If so, what is the best course of action?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It is very possible that the nest has come back, in fact if its a good spot then you'll get them every year. Best to get pest control out to sort it once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

I got a pest control guy out for a nest 2 years ago. He used a standard fly/wasp spray and just sprayed the nest heavily. Cost €70 or something. Might not be worth it. The guy used no protective clothing or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Petrol and Matches :- sorted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

netwhizkid wrote:
    Petrol and Matches :- sorted.
    Along with a load of annoyed wasps :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Diesel - petrol would probably explode

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote:
    Diesel - petrol would probably explode
    Completely agree but Diesel is to slow to ignite and hasn't half the affect of Petrol.

I generously sprinkle the said material to be burned with Petrol then run a two to three metre "fuse" of petrol back from it by lightly drizzling the ground back along, I then light a piece of tissue paper or newspaper etc and use that to keep a bit of distance from the spilled petrol. Boom and it ignites and rushes in along the fuse to the main thing in about half a second.

Never ever throw petrol on a fire that is light as the flame can travel back the flow of petrol into the can where it would explode and leave you with skin like mouldy cheese after about 20 skin grafts or you could die. Diesel is fine for throwing on a fire that is burning, but not Petrol.

I also must remind people that burning anything except branches of trees or organic material is now illegal branded "Back-Yard Burning" the crowd policing it are known to fly around in Helicopters and are only too happy to fine people.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I don't want the honeysuckle to be burnt though and i suspect that the nest is buried in the middle of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

cue wrote:
    I don't want the honeysuckle to be burnt though and i suspect that the nest is buried in the middle of it

In that case you're into smoke to calm them down and a large bucket of water to dump the nest into. Obviously you need to be well covered while you do this and it's not for the faint hearted.

Petrol and diesel may do harm for the surrounding area as well as lots of damage to your good self. Although smoking may sound like a better idea, unless you have the proper protective clothing, you could be risking a lot more.

If in doubt call the experts in.

netwhizkid talking about 'fuses' and stuff to light fires is just a little worrying :eek:

delly wrote:
    netwhizkid talking about 'fuses' and stuff to light fires is just a little worrying :eek:

It is better to do it that way with a "Fuse" as I call i as it is kind of like having a fuse except you are lighting a small fire to start a bigger one. I once light old leaves that were dry and crisp after they were drenched in petrol and it took all the hair off my left hand, nothing worse than the smell of burnt hair. That way is safer but I wouldn't really advocate burning in a built up area as it will stink up the place and some neighbour might call the Fire Brigade.

I burned out a wasps nest this way last year but it was out in the country and I sloshed petrol onto the nest first and then sprinkled it back along before setting fire to it. I reckon only about 10 or 12 wasps survived. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement