Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where next for Ruud?

• 26-06-2006 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Ruud seeks clear-the-air talks with United

26/06/2006 - 07:10:05

Ruud van Nistelrooy wants urgent talks to sort out his future with Manchester United.

After being dumped to the United bench and eventually exiled altogether by Sir Alex Ferguson, Van Nistelrooy found himself axed by Holland coach Marco van Basten last night.

Van Nistelrooy’s services were not called upon even though Holland were eventually beaten 1-0 by Portugal in an incredible World Cup knockout clash which saw both sides reduced to nine men.

But, if there is one consolation from a defeat which cost the Dutch a quarter-final meeting with England, it is that Van Nistelrooy can now focus on establishing whether he still has a future at Old Trafford.

“I would like the situation to be sorted out sooner rather than later,” said the 29-year-old.

“There must be some sort of contact between the club and myself over the next few days.

“As I have said a number of times before, if nothing happens I will be at Manchester United next season.

“Maybe in the coming weeks, we have to see what United do and whether other clubs get involved.

“Whatever will happen will happen. I have to assess the situation and see what is the best for me.”

Bayern Munich have already expressed a firm interest in Van Nistelrooy, insisting the likely transfer fee and high wages would not be a problem.

Armed with the near £30million fee they received from Chelsea for Andriy Shevchenko, AC Milan are also set to be serious players in the hunt to sign one of the most prolific strikers in Europe.

Tottenham boss Martin Jol is also sure to make a speculative inquiry should United attempt to push through the transfer of England midfielder Michael Carrick.

Ferguson has yet to offer a public opinion on Van Nistelrooy since complaining about the negative influence the striker was having on United’s training ground.

That verdict which came just hours after the former PSV Eindhoven forward - one of only eight men to score 150 times for the Red Devils – was booted out of the United team hotel prior to the final game of the season against Charlton.

At the time, Van Nistelrooy sought immediate sanctuary with the Dutch squad, although he has now found Van Basten is not quite as big a fan as he previously thought.

“I had a good discussion with the coach,” said Van Nistelrooy of a Thursday summit meeting at which Van Basten informed him he was not contributing enough to the overall team effort.

“It was a hard discussion between us and I said what I wanted.

“I didn’t totally agree with him but I accepted and respected his decision.

“I was happy he at least came to me and told me. Whether I agreed with the decision or not, I had to take it and move on.

“Now, I have to put the emotion of the World Cup behind me and think about my future.”

Link

My gut feeling is that he will not be a united player next season, whatever happens United fans will always hold him in high esteem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i would love for Ruud to stay. his record speaks for itself and there is no denying he is a great goalscorer and will always score 15-20 goals a season at least! they should sort out the situation and get him to stay!

i'd like to see him at OT next year but if he does leave he'll be Spain bound i would say especially since the big italian clubs are caught up in this investigation.... not sure who he'll go to but no chance of him staying in England thats for sure......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Newcastle? we could certainly do with a 20+ a year goal scorer, now that Owen could miss the entire season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

i think he'd do well at newcastle. he's exactly the type of player we need. i'm waiting for someone to post a picture of a zebra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm hoping and praying that he stays at United. If he doesn't, I think he'll go to a CL team for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

why a zebra?

• Advertisement

why a zebra?
    aye, cos newcastle wear b&w stripes and it never ceases to be funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would love to have him at Liverpool, if he was looking to annoy Mr Ferguson then going to liverpool would be a great way to do it. I think that he would be a good signing for any club, great poacher and his record speaks for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Would love to have him at Liverpool, if he was looking to annoy Mr Ferguson then going to liverpool would be a great way to do it. I think that he would be a good signing for any club, great poacher and his record speaks for itself.

I'm sure Mr. Ferguson will have some say in where he goes. Can't see United selling him to a PL rival if there are foreign parties interested.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were to retire from international football either, unless Van Basten resigns or is sacked (which I don't think will happen as they have quite a young squad at the moment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Milan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I will make a bet with anybody on here that he will not go to Newcastle or Liverpool, anybody? Pipe dreams!

I think if he leaves United, the 'lowest' club he could go to is Bayern, considernig they've already expressed an interest, but he is holding out for one of the bigger clubs to come in for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Real madrid is the only "big club" that would bother taking him.

I can see him staying. I think he'll realise none of the top european clubs will want him(bar real mardird). So that will leave with going back to holland and playing for one of the teams in the champions league. Going to newcaslte or spurs.

I am sure him and fergie will sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Well if Fergie wants to win anything next season he will have to keep him. No one else at the club will score 20 plus goals.

And if he wants to sort out the trouble on the training ground then all he has to do is sell that over rated diving child to a club stupid enough to give us more than we actually paid for him. Then we can buy someone who can cross the ball correctly, doesnt dive, knows when to pass and when to shoot and works for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I hope he stays at Utd next season, but it looks more and more in doubt.......... I fhe is to go it would Prob be a Big club in Europe i.e. AC, Real or Barca.but in the end he might surprise everyone and join Bayern.......

Only he knows at the end of the day

IMO i could see Rooney scoring more than 20 a season if he was put in that role rather than the supporting striker role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

AC, Real or Barca.but in the end he might surprise everyone and join Bayern.......

Barca dont need him. Ac wont be in europe and possible in serie B. Real would take him, so would bayern. But would he go to bayern? I cant see them challenging for the CL if thats his main goal.

If it isnt i wouldnt be suprised to see him go to a club in holland or Spurs. Wouldnt rule out newcastle just yet either.

Why the **** would Ruud pick Newcastle or Spurs over Bayern?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Because he wants to stay in the premiership???

PHB wrote:

And why would he stay at manu? I think the insider hit the nail on the head. I mean, it's not like they win much anymore. Even Shearer can say he won the league once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

PHB wrote:
    What makes you think he would have a choice in it? It is clear from his behaviour that he is not happy at Manu.

Maybe he wants to go to Liverpool and win things? I mean they have only been the F.A. and European champions in the last 2 years. Maybe he would like to leave a team that a basically won nothing of importance over the last 2 seasons.

Maybe he would fancy Spurs as a challenge. They are a team on the up. While Manu are a team in "transition".

He is leaving United because Fergie has decided it so, Ruud was perfectly happy to see out his career at United, but Fergie decided otherwise. But Fergie does not have the power to force him to go to any club. He has 2 years left on his contract.

Why would go to a place without CL football?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

It must be great to play for a team that's in transition but yet still finished 2nd in the league.

Playing in the CL isn't everything. He may not have a choice. Bayern Munich already have Makaay and Pizarro. Of course they would take him, but the likes of Newcastle will surely offer more.

fade2black wrote:
    It must be great to play for a team that's in transition but yet still finished 2nd in the league.

playing in a team in transition and still winning the CL and FA Cup would be better I imagine

fade2black wrote:
    I'm meerly using the terminology that most Manu supporters have been using in recent times to describe their less than convincing form.

Look, I'm far from dissing Manu and their ability to "bounce back" from what must be describied as a very dissapointing run of form in the last few years. They have the size and support to rally. Of that I don't doubt. A change at the top maybe needed.

Back to Rudd. Of Course Fergie make's the decision. But why would he let him go at all? Is it because that Fergie suddendly decided that Rudd and his 20+ goals a season were no longer good enough for him? Or was it that the player decided that playing under Fergie was something he no longer wanted to do?

kinaldo wrote:
    playing in a team in transition and still winning the CL and FA Cup would be better I imagine

Man Utd have won both trophies too. What's your point?

Hobart wrote:
    I'm meerly using the terminology that most Manu supporters have been using in recent times to describe their less than convincing form.

Look, I'm far from dissing Manu and their ability to "bounce back" from what must be describied as a very dissapointing run of form in the last few years. They have the size and support to rally. Of that I don't doubt. A change at the top maybe needed.

Back to Rudd. Of Course Fergie make's the decision. But why would he let him go at all? Is it because that Fergie suddendly decided that Rudd and his 20+ goals a season were no longer good enough for him? Or was it that the player decided that playing under Fergie was something he no longer wanted to do?

I really believe there is something going on with Ruud at the moment...to be dumped by two teams/two managers within a month or so must be more than a coincidence.

I don't reall think that there is any need for this to degenerate into another Manu V Liverpool thread.

I think the decision will be made seperate of any lobbying from the Boards.ie elite squad.

My Guess is that he will move. And move back to Holland or Spain.

fade2black wrote:
    I really believe there is something going on with Ruud at the moment...to be dumped by two teams/two managers within a month or so must be more than a coincidence.
    Maybe 1 thing led to another. He was out of sorts in the WC. Maybe his lack of first team play at Manu was a factor.

Ruud was dropped in favour of Saha because it was felt by many at United that his declining mobilty made the team play worse. He was told by Fergie that he would no longer be automatic first choice, at which point things began to go down hill.
    The training bust up before the last game of the weekend between him and Ronaldo was the final straw for Quierez, and he reported the incident to Fergie, who decided to drop him for the final game. Ruud then left and was told he couldn't play in the Keane testimonial, despite pleading to be allowed.

Since that point, nobody from United has said anything on Ruud.

Ruud was forced out of United, end of. It was a shocking thing to do to him if you ask me, but that's what happened.

He however has two years left on his contract. He knows if he stays, United can't afford to replace him, without the funds from his transfer. So he will still get his game, but not on an automatic berth. He knows this. United know this.

He has been effectivly forced out of the club, but the club in their current position can't force him to go to Newcastle, because they happen to bid 20 million, while Bayern only bid 15.

Spurs couldn't afford him considering the amount of money they have already spent.
    United would never sell to Liverpool unless the bid was astronomical, which won't happen.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    Man Utd have won both trophies too. What's your point?

I was using Liverpool's recent success as an example that the transitition period excuse is a bit of a kop out when it comes to ManU's lack of. You highlighted ManU finishing second in the league during this period. So what.

PHB wrote:
    Ruud was dropped in favour of Saha because it was felt by many at United that his declining mobilty made the team play worse. He was told by Fergie that he would no longer be automatic first choice, at which point things began to go down hill.
    The training bust up before the last game of the weekend between him and Ronaldo was the final straw for Quierez, and he reported the incident to Fergie, who decided to drop him for the final game. Ruud then left and was told he couldn't play in the Keane testimonial, despite pleading to be allowed.

Since that point, nobody from United has said anything on Ruud.

Ruud was forced out of United, end of. It was a shocking thing to do to him if you ask me, but that's what happened.

He however has two years left on his contract. He knows if he stays, United can't afford to replace him, without the funds from his transfer. So he will still get his game, but not on an automatic berth. He knows this. United know this.

He has been effectivly forced out of the club, but the club in their current position can't force him to go to Newcastle, because they happen to bid 20 million, while Bayern only bid 15.

Spurs couldn't afford him considering the amount of money they have already spent.
    United would never sell to Liverpool unless the bid was astronomical, which won't happen.
    I was not aware of the decreased mobility thing, but the rest of what you say does add up.

I think Rudd was (is) happy at Manu, but under his terms, which are circular. i.e. He plays, he keeps fit, he scores, he plays. I did not notice any real decline in his specific performances before he was dropped tbh.

Liverpool will not bid for him for one simple reason. They do not have the money in the transfer kitty. And even if they did, they know Manu would not sell him (ok that's 2 simple reasons).

My understanding is that the Ronaldo thing was a bit "lost in translation" and that that had been cleared up between Carlos and Ruud? i.e. when he refeered to his "Father" he did not actually mean his dead Father.

PHB wrote:

No one will be paying anywhere near £15-£20 million for him.
    Every team in the world know united want him gone so united hold no bargining power here (well very little).

Besides the days of paying £20 million for a 29+ year old are over (except for Chelsea of course).

kinaldo wrote:
    Playing in the CL isn't everything.

:eek: What? A club in the CL means Top class football, top class wages. Most decent CL teams are in desireable locations to live also, and with the man 29/30 years old I think CL is everything, if not almost everythin
    evilhomer wrote:
    No one will be paying anywhere near £15-£20 million for him.

I agree, I can see btwn 11 and 14m for Ruud, or an undisclosed fee/swap deal transfer.

Ah it's a whole big mess really.

Ruud was referring to Quierez, who Ruud felt overprotected him and wasn't willing to criticise him. Ronaldo, as a kid disdrought over his fathers death, obviously though of his own father, and then it all went pearshape.

As for the transfer fees, we'll see what happens won't we.

Trilla wrote:
    :eek: What? A club in the CL means Top class football, top class wages. Most decent CL teams are in desireable locations to live also, and with the man 29/30 years old I think CL is everything, if not almost everythin

That's similar to what everyone said about Michael Owen, but Newcastle managed to convince him otherwise.

• Advertisement

Owen has another club in him, Ruud doesn't.
    Owen wasn't wanted by other clubs. Ruud is.

kinaldo wrote:
    That's similar to what everyone said about Michael Owen, but Newcastle managed to convince him otherwise.

How can u compare the situations? Micheal Owen was 3rd choice in his first and only season in Spain. Granted he did well, yet Ruud was 1st choice for 2/3 of Uniteds, and had one or two behind closed doors arguments at old trafford. RVN has proved year in year out that he can perform on the biggest stage (CL). He was Uniteds leading scorer for 4 years (even last year). Owen is 26, RVN is hittin 30...and what teams were actually willing to pay the fees R Madrid wanted? Fergie wont let him go to a premiership side, and Ruud wont leave England for a side not in the CL.

PHB wrote:

yeah...what PHB said

PHB wrote:

You're riling me up now! I'm sure other clubs wanted his services but Real Madrid made things difficult for him what with all Newcastle's money.

I'm sure other clubs wanted his services

Really? What were these other clubs? He was actually quite cheap at 15 million considering his proven quality in the past.

• Advertisement

I think Arsenal and Inter were sniffing around, but the fee scared off Wenger. And Inter are linked with every above average player available

Well as I said earlier if Ruud leaves and Fergie doesnt land another top class striker we are screwed. Supposedly Ruud was pissed off with Ronaldos antics on the training field as well as on match day. All the show pony crap and no end product. And IMO hes damn right. United will win nothing if that child is playing like that every week.

Its in Fergies interest to keep Ruud and keep him happy. Another trophy less season and the yanks will be showing him and queerarse the door. No trophies = no money.

bucks73 wrote:
    No trophies = no money.

United have no money as it is. The Glazers took care of that.

Trilla wrote:
    How can u compare the situations? Micheal Owen was 3rd choice in his first and only season in Spain. Granted he did well, yet Ruud was 1st choice for 2/3 of Uniteds, and had one or two behind closed doors arguments at old trafford. RVN has proved year in year out that he can perform on the biggest stage (CL). He was Uniteds leading scorer for 4 years (even last year). Owen is 26, RVN is hittin 30...and what teams were actually willing to pay the fees R Madrid wanted? Fergie wont let him go to a premiership side, and Ruud wont leave England for a side not in the CL.

I'm not comparing their situations, just saying that the CL isn't everything. Owen came to Newcastle as a former European Player of the Year at the peak of his career. He could have chosen to stay at Real Madrid and fight for his place. With a fully fit striker of his calibre, Newcastle have the potential to qualify for the CL in the not too distant future.

evilhomer wrote:
    United have no money as it is. The Glazers took care of that.
    Sorry should have said Income instead of Money :D

PHB wrote:
    Really? What were these other clubs? He was actually quite cheap at 15 million considering his proven quality in the past.

I believe it was 17 million and u don't see many transfers around that fee these days not involving Chelsea. Before he signed for Newcastle he was linked with Arsenal, ManU, Liverpool and Valencia to name a few.

kinaldo wrote:
    I'm not comparing their situations, just saying that the CL isn't everything. .

When talking about RVN at this stage in his career, CL is very important. RVN is the topic of conversation, and the odds on him not playing in CL next year would be high enough. u agree?

Arsenal, ManU, Liverpool and Valencia

wow, linked with, jesus. You realise every player under the sun is linked with them.

Owen was leaving Real Madrid, and the only other club that seemed to be interested in bidding was Liverpool, but they wouldn't pay the transfer fee.
    He didn't have a club like Bayern coming out and stating publically they want him before he is even up for sale.

kinaldo wrote:
    I believe it was 17 million

yep 17m

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/business/4205310.stm

PHB wrote:

He can look to Shearer, Bergkamp and Baggio for advice on playing at the top level for a good few more seasons yet.

Not a simple as that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement