Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAP in Galway

Options
  • 26-06-2006 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Howdi pilgrims.

Just trying to gather some background info on this company. I have an internerview or two with them coming up in the next 2/3 weeks.

Just wondering what it's like to work there?
    What kind of facilities do they have?
    What’s their employee turnover like?
    Are there any babes working out there (v.important like)
    How far is the main building away from the city?
    Is there much scum up around there, as much as in Cork? (Sorry if that offends anyone btw, but I have a zero tolerance level)

What's the rental market like in Galway for a Cork man who likes his comforts (balcony, big kitchen, house with front/back garden, 2bed luxury apartments, broadband...all that stuff)

Any finally what's the nightlife like in Galway, are there any hip/hop house venues with guest dj's or is there a decent arena for bands other than Aslan or Bog the Donkey and so forth.

Merci!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

110th street for hip hop kinda stuff on saturday nights in the Vic and the Roisin for the bands.

property wise i'd say for a 2 bedroom lux apartment it's be around 100 per person per week. few nice places around town.

broadband is all over Galway with NTL, IBB and Digiweb all about the place now.

Scumbags well yeah there are some but they aren't the worst.

as far as SAP goes not a clue don't even know what they do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Nice one chief.
    Here is some info on SAP in Galway
    http://www.galway.net/galwayguide/news/2003/04/sap20030401/

And their official website >> http://www.sap.com/index.epx

They business software solutions. Big Big company! The Microsoft/Sage of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Howdi,
    I work in Fidelity across the road from SAP.
    Location is abit out of the city but the Number 3 bus leaves every 30 min from Eyre Square. Takes about 15-20min at the most.
    I know a few people in there and there are one or two fine women in there and it has it's own Canteen (Something we envy)
    Spar is just down the road and there a few resturants and travel shops there too.
    As for A place to stay ..lots of lovely places ..I recently moved into an apartment in the docks and all mod cons..
    PM me if ya need more info...Best of Luck and Enjoy Galway,
    ps THERE'S way more scumbags in Cork ..i lived there too for a time

thanks muppetkiller. Would you be able to guess at how many people are employed by SAP? And what is the address of the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Definitely more scumbags in Cork without a doubt.They dont come into the city centre that much unlike Cork.Here they call it "Town like" ,in Cork its "Pana boiii" so there is a slight resemblence.They seem to stick to their local areas or hoods as im sure they like to be called.
    But hey the fvckers are everywhere these days.
    Im sure you will like the nightlife,theres something to suit all tastes most nights.

• Advertisement

i'm liking the idea of moving up to Galway quite a bit now. Could somebody recommend a decent property company. I'll search google but recommendations are always nice.

i'm liking the idea of moving up to Galway quite a bit now. Could somebody recommend a decent property company. I'll search google but recommendations are always nice.

Well most people get their accomidation throught the local paper here The Galway Advertiser.Accomidation section comes out every Wednesday i think and then the full paper on Thursday.

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/

You can take a look in the classifieds section for accomidation.There are also propery companies advertised here as well as in the pdf format.hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

thanks muppetkiller. Would you be able to guess at how many people are employed by SAP? And what is the address of the area?
    it'd be "Parkmore Business Park East"
    it's a fecking big place, so i'd assume there's ****loads of people working there... between 100 and 200 (a very wild bit of guesstimation)

and 110th street are fairly good for guest djs
    they had Andrew Weatheral this weekend and Erol Alkan coming up on the 8th :)
    the GPO is beginning to get some good names again (Felix Da Housecat sometime soon, and the legendary Billy Nasty at the end of the month) the glory days are long gone though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

SAP is an excellent employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

a la MuppetKiller I used to work with Fidelity across the road! In States now. I def RECOMMEND a car, that no. 3 bus used to do my head in. By car you're only about 15 - 20 mins from the city center (depending on traffic). Live in the city area though, there's nothing out by the office except fields.

SAP themselves, I know a few people who work there. It seems ok, you do have your own canteen, hours usually not too bad. Most of the jobs are support jobs.

• Advertisement

tman, i likes your guesstimations, i presume it's a edumacated guesstimation and not a makeyupe?
    tman wrote:
    the GPO is beginning to get some good names again (Felix Da Housecat sometime soon, and the legendary Billy Nasty at the end of the month) the glory days are long gone though

i can do without the boom boom ka boom boom boom electro fudge. Christ on a pogo stick it's not the 90's no more like. I'll check out their listings all the same. Coolaboola.
    I def RECOMMEND a car

balls! i'm a public transport kid.

Thanks for the advise lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Whats the job title?

What age are you out off interest ?
    Address is
    Parkmore East Business Park,
    Galway,
    Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Very good employer, free lunches (yummy lunches, not your usual canteen stuff ;-)), nice atmosphere, about 300 people working here...Flexible working hours (depending on the department you're in though...), and a lake with ducks in it! ;-)

Car is a must though, that bus is a massive pain...

Don't mind those yuppies with their cars :D the bus is fine provided you get on in Eyre Square. And the night life in Galway is brill...I wouldn't be seen in the GPO if ya paid me ..it's full of underage and teens..I should know I was a bar man there for 2 years.
    if your into good music there's always Roisin Dubhs and also De Burgos on a Saturday night is a really cool spot (very bohemian) but crap any other night.
    age group in there is generally 25-35 and the talent is well fine. Great tunes too no chart nonsense.

best of luck with the interviews..SAP have a very good rep for keepin there employees happy and a great company to get into if you can.

i'm 24, just finished IT, prefer not to say what the job title is, underage gurls you say....

for the single 24 year old man ...you'll be in Heaven in Galway haha

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

galah wrote:
    Car is a must though, that bus is a massive pain...
    Just find a flat on the right side of town and bike it, like all the cool kids.

biko wrote:
    Just find a flat on the right side of town and bike it, like all the cool kids.

Bikeing it out the dual carrigeway by Tom Hogans is a nightmare,especially if the wind is against you.

Advertisement