Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Offside rule

• 26-06-2006 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

ok, anyone who understands through and through exactly what the Offside rule is, could they post it here in the easiest to understand terms. At this stage it has gone beyond the point of girls not understanding what it is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i understand it but sure as hell couldnt explain it!:confused: it has gotten very over complicated and i'm sure there are some pro's who dont understand the rule fully anymore which shoes how bad its gotten!

gone are the days when offside was simple and it was only girls who didnt understand it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

We could do it in phases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

what I understood was you are offside if you are behind the last opposing defender while another member of your team(the other side of the defender) has the ball

Part 1.

If the ball is passed forward to you there must be at least 2 opposing players between you and the opossing teams goal line.

Marts wrote:
    what I understood was you are offside if you are behind the last opposing defender while another member of your team(the other side of the defender) has the ball
    No. Only if he passes the ball. Or is deemed to have attempted to pass the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

But now there is the whole question of whether you are active or not - which confuses the hell out of me, because surely any attacking player in the box can be considered active. He's hardly there just for the craic

dudara wrote:
    But now there is the whole question of whether you are active or not - which confuses the hell out of me, because surely any attacking player in the box can be considered active. He's hardly there just for the craic
    He could be walking back towards his own goal line?
    You cannot be offside in your own half btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Hobart wrote:
    He could be walking back towards his own goal line?
    You cannot be offside in your own half btw.

Or from a throw-in, goal-kick or corner-kick

Or from a throw-in
    What about from a corner? I don't think you can be offside either.

./edit (nice edit)

Here goes...The thing about it is that no one can really explain the rule properly on paper, although some have tried. For one of the best in-depth descriptions visit Soccer Coach-L

The following is an explanation by the South Belt Youth Soccer Club :

A player is in an offside position if he is nearer to his opponent's goal line than the ball unless:
    # He is in his own half of the field.
    # He is not nearer to the opponent's goal line than at least two of his opponents.

A player will only be declared offside if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his own team, in the opinion of the referee that player is:

# Interfering with the play or with an opponent.
    # Seeking to gain an advantage by being in that position.

A player will not be declared offside:
    # Merely because of his being in an offside position.
    # If he receives the ball directly from a goal kick, corner kick, or throw-in.

If a player is declared offside, the referee will award an indirect free kick to be taken by the opposing team from the place where the offside occurred.

Offside will be judged from the moment the ball is played, NOT when the player receives the ball. A player who is level with the second last opponent or with the last two opponents is NOT in an offside position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Hobart wrote:
    What about from a corner? I don't think you can be offside either.

./edit (nice edit)
    Cheers:D
    But you'd be surprised how many people don't know this.
    More than once, as a right-back, I've gone to mark a player at a throw-in.
    'Leave him, he's offside' says a team-mate.
    'He can't be offside from a throw' says I...

Del

Advertisement