Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beans on toast

• 26-06-2006 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭

Anyone else just LOVE beans?? and i really mean love, like v often i would rather have beans on toast than anything else i (or even my mother) would make... Beans on toast is so delicious, one of my favourite meals...on wholegrain bread of course

Anyone else feel like this or is it just me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep.. it's pretty good alright... I like to get a slice of buttered toast, fold it over and use it scoop up lots of yummy beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I could eat them every day !!, often have them on toast for breakfast in work.

Protein, fibre (wholemeal bread), vitamins, the breakfast of Kings.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Beans_On

could take them or leave them myself

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Sauce

Fry the beans and put them on a slice of toast with brown sauce. Heaven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bean juice mixed in with melted butter and spread on the toast - yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Yep I have to agree. Beans on toast rule.

But recently I have started to jazz them up a bit.

E.g. Adding Chilli Flakes
    Frying some bacon bits and adding balsamic vinegar
    Or YR
    Or worcestershire sauce
    substituting toast for Potato Waffles with melted cheese.

Getting hungry just thinking of all the combinations....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Sauté an onion and some garlic. When properly brown, add dried ground cumin, corriander, chilli and turmeric. Fry until the spices start to release their scent. Chuck in beans, (has to be Heinz), tobasco, worcestershire sauce, soy, a tiny pinch of muscavado. Cook. Have with toast. This is EVEN nicer w/ some sautéed lardons put in with the onions.

Now thats posh beans on toast :D (sounds delish also), what are "lardons " ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Bits of bacon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Shabadu wrote:
    Bits of bacon. :)

If it's okay with you Shabadu I'll elucidate on that a little..;) .. a lardon is a small cube of pork/bacon fat that is used for "larding" (threading through lean meats like poultry to keep moist and succulent). Imagine a fat streaky rasher cut into small cubes and you have lardons. I used to work with a guy who mailed over thyme from his family's garden in France and toss it into frying lardon. Divine.

...but back to the beans! I used to run a weekend brunch in a restaurant in town and one of the conditions was that I was to never put beans on the menu. Pure snobbery I tell you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I love beans I toast, then thing is I love sprinkling vinegar on top. Everyone who sees me doing that thinks its disgusting but I think it is delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Homemade beans are delish. Soak a cup of cannelini beans and boil them until soft, then add the beans and a little of their juice into a casserole with a hunk of butter (maybe 1.5oz or 2oz), a good slop of tomato ketchup, a swoosh of Worcester sauce, a dessertspoon of good grainy mustard, a peeled onion and a few lardons. Cook in a low oven for around three hours. Winter thing, really. Lovely in everything, including stew.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Half way through microwaving , pop a slice of cheese into the beans and complete microwaving . Stir well and enjoy .

You can also add a Chilli sauce of your choice for Chilli Cheesy Beans YUM YUM YUM

frobisher wrote:
    If it's okay with you Shabadu I'll elucidate on that a little..;) .. a lardon is a small cube of pork/bacon fat that is used for "larding" (threading through lean meats like poultry to keep moist and succulent). Imagine a fat streaky rasher cut into small cubes and you have lardons. I used to work with a guy who mailed over thyme from his family's garden in France and toss it into frying lardon. Divine.

...but back to the beans! I used to run a weekend brunch in a restaurant in town and one of the conditions was that I was to never put beans on the menu. Pure snobbery I tell you!

Thanks Shabadu and frobisher, beans on toast taken to dizzy heights!! :D

Advertisement