Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Slug 4 sucks!

Options
  • 26-06-2006 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Finally managed to play metal slug 4 after much messing around with different emulators and it's such a let down. I loved the first three and have played them to death but this just seems to be a cheap cash in. Its way shorter, there's less weapons,vehicles,secrets etc. There's none of the humour or outlandish elements that made the first three so enjoyable.

What does everybody else think?

Should i even bother playing metal slug 4/5?

-Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Those games are class, worth playing Metal Slug 1/2/3/4/5 :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've heard that Metal Slug 4 and 5 are made by a completely different developer than 1-3. Might explain the drop in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

SNK as we knew it is dead. Capcom hired up all their talent when they went bankrupt.

Always thought Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hardcorps and even Gunner Heaven were 10 times better than Metal Slug series anyway. The graphics are very charismatic but the gameplay is a bit ponderous.

Nazca were meant to have done another run n' gun shooter just before Metal Slug. I think Irem published it. Read about it ages ago. Just remembered it now. Must find out the name so I can play it on an emulator.

Found it. Gunforce 2/ Geoforce, made by the Metal Slug team. Looks like fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gunstar heroes is the god of run and gun games. I'd rate Metal Slug 1 and 2 rather highly. Not as good as Contra Hard Corps or Gunstar Heroes but definitely better than Contra 3 and Gunners Heaven (which I'm not too fond of). Thanks for the link. Have to check out Gunforce 2. Didn't know Nazca were former Irem members.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I can't think which Metal Slug (the one where you turn into a zombie and your grenade attack spits out blood)... but that one was a serious mind bender, fantastically difficult. The originals are the best though *flashbacks to holidays in Spain and finding it on an arcade machine*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 gallagc8

Rhyme wrote:
    I can't think which Metal Slug (the one where you turn into a zombie and your grenade attack spits out blood)... but that one was a serious mind bender, fantastically difficult.

that was metal slug two, great stuff alright,
    thanks for the suggestions,will those games (gunstar,geoforce etc.) run on a mame emulator?

Geoforce 2 should run in Mame. Contra Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes are Mega Drive games and run perfectly in Gens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

Can somebody point me in the direction of metal slug 1-3? where do you get the emulators and the games?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gallagc8

for 1-3 i used kawaks and it seemed to do the job.the roms and emulator are real easy to find

I'd edit your post. Links to roms and warez aren't allowed on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

That's kinda fucked. I've never played Metal Slug 4 but your description makes me sad nonetheless. I never got the emulator working for it but I reckon I'll see it in action when it's released on the Wii.

Loved Metal Slug 3 I have to say. Still haven't finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Metal Slug 1-3 are brilliant, but 4 and 5 are terrible, really short and just missing that kick the first 3 had.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Its true 4 and 5 are no more then just trashy "mappacks" for the original trilogy they took away a lot of the charm and made it so no amount of skill would stop u from dieing at least 5+ times. The last few bosses are simply too fast for human reactions in most cases and their pre-programmed patterns fill up 70% of the screen with death leaving u constantly watching ure character die.....with little sense of achievement once they die as it usually sees 5-6 lives down the drain cheaply.

And whats the deal with replacing Tarma? - he rocked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

He's back in metal slug 5. I played gun force 2 there, seems to well and truely be metal slug zero

Advertisement