Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Proxy to Take Raw Socket data

Options
  • 26-06-2006 5:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19

Hi all,

I am currently working in the area of ssl and learning as much as I can about sockets and data transfer. I am currently working on a presentation on ssl vs raw sockets and I have created a raw socket based application that transfers information from one computer to another. I would like to use a proxy to take a look at the packets going from the client to the server and decipher it so I can look at the clear text message for the demonstration. Could you point me in the direction of some free ware applications that would do that? I've heard of fragrouter but I'm not sure how it works. A general introduction would be great! thanks,

NordieQueen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

What I think you are looking for is a "packet sniffer" - I presume you want to look at what is being transferred accross the network between the computers - a good way to start with ethereal is to try a telnet session (scary) and then a ssh session and see the info that is being transferred in plain text.

http://www.ethereal.com Is a good free version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

I am currently working in the area of ssl and learning as much as I can about sockets and data transfer. I am currently working on a presentation on ssl vs raw sockets and I have created a raw socket based application that transfers information from one computer to another. I would like to use a proxy to take a look at the packets going from the client to the server and decipher it so I can look at the clear text message for the demonstration. Could you point me in the direction of some free ware applications that would do that? I've heard of fragrouter but I'm not sure how it works. A general introduction would be great! thanks,

could you post it online ?
    thanks in advance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 NorthenQueen

Sure, as soon as I'm finished I'll drop a copy of it online :)

Advertisement