Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB + Dell = ?????

• 26-06-2006 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

Hi,

for some reason i cant load any dell site via my ibb connection.
    everything else is perfect.

i have tried differnt browsers etc.
    i cant even see the images in the emails they send me, have to forward them to work.
    i have tried 4 different pcs, including 1 fresh windows install.
    i have taken my router out of the equation by connecting directly.
    i can ping both the urll and the ip
    i can see the title bar in the browser but nothing else.
    this problem is driving me demented as i really need access to their site.

can anyone advise at all of something to try?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Which IBB connection/package?
    Do you have any trouble with eBay by any chance (In case you haven't had checked/noticed)?

Test:
    Start -> run -> command
    tracert www.dell.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Dublin, Tallagh mast, Ibb 2mb. No problems here with dell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

no problems with ebay
    ibb 2mb breeze, baldoyle mast
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\ >tracert www.dell.ie

Tracing route to wwwredirect.ins.euro.dell.com [163.244.64.253]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.123.254
    2 10 ms 9 ms 8 ms DN20-fe-0-0-1-160-baldoyle.irishbroadband.ie [83.141.92.1]
    3 10 ms 20 ms 9 ms DN19-fe-0-0-0-10-odlums.irishbroadband.ie [83.141.117.170]
    4 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms DN01-fe-1-3-0-17-rte.irishbroadband.ie [89.127.194.1]
    5 10 ms 11 ms 9 ms DN42-ge-0-1-0-0-ibis-access.irishbroadband.ie [87.192.233.165]
    6 * * 9 ms DN42-ge-0-2-0-50-ibis-gw.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.52.157]
    7 9 ms 10 ms 11 ms ge0-1.peering1.inex.dublin.eircom.net [193.242.111.18]
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.

and on like that till 30

its been like this for at least a week btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭claw

I have had the same problem for the last couple of weeks, not just www.dell.ie but other sites don't work as well. I have IBB, baldoyle mast.

• Advertisement

which sites?
    ill try them from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Try changing your MTU from 1500 to 1460. If you have a router do it on router. If IBB is connected directly then change on PC using Dr TCP. Solved my issues with dell.ie and gmail.com. Some IBB users experience this problem No idea why some do and not others.

Hope this works.

https://www.cs.tcd.ie
    http://www.ed.ac.uk/
    http://www.wlv.ac.uk/

These are three websites that don't work anyway. They worked for a while today and then went again.

none of them sites work for me either.

i connect to ibb via fixed ip so my router has no options to change the mtu setting.

IBB told me to change the MTU setting using that Dr TCP program, didn't work. The problem is with them. Where I live, most people till recently could only get IBB and most of us have stuck with them. A number of people I know have the same problem.

• Advertisement

subway wrote:
    i connect to ibb via fixed ip so my router has no options to change the mtu setting.
    Yea most IBB customers have static ip. My router has option to change MTU. what model router do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

3rock 2Mb breeze all above sites work for me. gona change the mtu see what it does if it speeds up anything.

Edit: nope did nothing for me so back to Auto the router goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

irlrobins wrote:
    Try changing your MTU from 1500 to 1460. If you have a router do it on router. If IBB is connected directly then change on PC using Dr TCP. Solved my issues with dell.ie and gmail.com. Some IBB users experience this problem No idea why some do and not others.

Hope this works.
    Yep, that's your problem right there...

Anyway not being able to connect to a Dell website is a good thing! :p

hmm, its us robotics 8054
    http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=8054

see screenshots for what i mean about pppoe vs fixed ip settings

change that mtu in pppoe.jpg from 1492 to 1460 as stated above

So you can only set MTU for PPoE connections? That's shit. :(

Well what you could try is connect IBB connection directly to PC, give PC the static IBB ip and use Dr TCP to set mtu on PC. If that solves the problem then its def a mtu and we just need a way of getting your router to set mtu.

If u still have probs, then it's not mtu related and router mtu setting doesn't matter. I'd recommend restarting PC after changing MTU to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Download TCP Otimizer, In General Settings click "Custom settings" and set MTU @ 1460.

If that doesn't work, it's IBB's fault I'm afraid...

change that mtu in pppoe.jpg from 1492 to 1460 as stated above
    i dont connect via pppoe as stated above????

thanks guys,
    ill try the direct connection when i get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There are some US robotics routers which dont let you set the MTU. I have heard of the problem before. I would contact whoever sold you your router and ask for a router where you can change the MTU.

Did you try the direct connection? What was the outcome?

Also if you really need to access the dell website, you can use a proxy to get it. try www.proxify.com or www.guardster.com. They will allow you to access the site from your connection.

didnt get a chance to try direct conection.

i bought the router second hand privately so returning it is out of the question.

i dont think ill be entering my credit card details through a proxt server ;)
    but thanks for the info :)

• Advertisement

Well at least ye can access the internet with it. :( mine went bye bye yesterday (they are sending someone out in the morning)

Yesterday @ 7am all was fine.
    Yesterday @ 7pm set of 100-200 pings all came back 100% loss
    Yesterday @ 12pm set of 100-200 pings came back 65-80% loss
    This mornig @ 7am set of 100-200 pings all came back 100% loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

could it be DNS issues on the masts? in terms of not viewing certain sites.

well if you ping www.dell.ie and it resolves to ip then no. I'm on IBB and dell.ie loads with no problems. However at the start of service with IBB I couldn't access it, gmail or some bank sites. Changed the MTU and works perfectly now. Sometimes you have to fiddle with the value. 1460 works fine for me, but some people find 1492 or 1428 works for them. I think Dr TCP will try and find the best value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If your unhappy about using the proxies, do you know about the google proxy hack?

I use it in work all the time, now that the firewall has started blocking my proxies.

Go to the more>> link in google and select translate, type in the url for dell in the "translate this page" box. pick translate from english to german, and click translate. You should get the dell website in german. Then go into the address bar and look for where it says lang pair. You should see de[some random stuph]en. change the de to an en, and google translator will translate the site from english to english. The page is coming from them, not from dell, so you should be able to see it. And as it is run by google you might feel slightly better about entering your credit card details. Or you could use the method to pick what you want to buy, get the number for them and call them, and enter the details over the phone.

Advertisement