Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stained Glass Art

• 26-06-2006 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

My granny usedto do stained glass art, i.e. decorating large vodka bottles and glass jars. Anyone else do it here?
    Are there any good classes or books available on techniques used? Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

yea i used to use those glass paints and some lead liner. i found it hard not to damage the decoration when washing it mutliple time, unless anyone knows a good technique for preservation apart from relegating it to the ornament shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maurilen

wow... that seems interesting I've never tried it yet..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

yes have done work staining glass, I don't know of any books though, but there is sure to be some out there. I find the paint can be difficult to manipulate it has to be dabbed on rather than painted (as it will streak) and if you apply it too heavy it will run and dry in one spot in a blob. I'd love to know any techniques to make it easier to work with the paint.
    Allow to dry for three days and you can apply a varnish to stop the paint flaking , inquire where you buy the paint, and you can bake the glass in an oven for 30mins at 150degrees celcius also instead of varnishing it. I havent done this myself though

artieanna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

I'm actually looking into doing stained glass work on jars to be used as soaking pots for cloth menstrual pads. Many people buy expensive pottery pots for this purpose, but I think it would be fun to be able to recycle glass jars in this manner, and the price would be considerably less.

I'm interested in hearing from those who have experience in stained glass work. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Books

Classic Glass Painting
    Judy Balchin (10pounds uk)
    ISBN 085532879-7

and also we use for designs

Celtic Designs
    Rebecca Mckillip
    isbn 0-916144-75-5 (7 dollars)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

just recieved a book i bought on amazon for PEANUTS called "the complete guide to glass painting" by Alan D. Gear and Barry L. Freestone.
    ISBN 1-85585-950-5

It has over 90 techniques with 25 projects and 400 design motifs,

all sorts of paints can be used (acrylics, gel, houshold gloss and emulsion and many more) not just glass paints.....

Totally Excellent!!!

artieanna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 emmie

im really big into glass painting at the moment, i buy pretty much anything from huge jars to tequilla bottle and mirrors to paint..i know that you can get some pretty decent books downstairs in easons on o'connel street, i was quite lucky and got a fantastic book secondhand in chapters on abbey street.. (although cant remember for the life of me the name)i normally use the outliners, but i have been wondering where to find the thicker lead liner, does anyone know where i could find some?also does anyone know which is better to use, the oil based or water based glass paints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

When you're out-lining it make sure you leave it dry for at least 1hour, as it tends to smuge. And the paint will take at least 24 hours to dry.
    artieanna wrote:
    you can bake the glass in an oven for 30mins at 150degrees celcius

After I'm finnished I always bake them. They last forever, and by forever I mean 1-2 years max. :D

Advertisement