Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gateway problem. help?

• 26-06-2006 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

im using eircom broadband to connect to the interet but im having trouble viewing web pages. the connection is working fine when im playing poker online with the paddy power software but when i try to use internet explorer the web pages wont load. it tries to connect using dial up even though i have it disabled. now i used the eircom broadband self help tool and have found there is a problem with the gateway and the solution to this is to connect a flash drive to the pc to download drivers onto it, then conect it to the netopia modem and then finally back to the pc. trouble is there is no usb connection on the modem even though the self help shows there should be. anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

thanks,
    fitz

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

In IE, click Tools -> Internet Options, select the Connections tab and check to ensure "never dial a connection" is selected. If it isn't, change it to that.

Close IE, open it up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

As above.. i know you said you have it disabled though.. just make sure its done there.
    Also not all Netopia routers have USB ports. The 4 port routers do not.. only the single port dual ethernet/usb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭thafitz

yeah i have it set to "never dial a connection" but it still wont work.

saruman - i think i have the 4 port one :(

thanks for the replies.

any other ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I would think then you have some sort of spyware/malware trying to get online. Since you play online poker then its very likely.
    I would check with ad-aware AND Sbybot S&D and hope it finds the problem. Though to be honest the best thing is hijackthis however you have to know exactly what your doing as it only scans all startup items, browser helper objects etc.. its up to you to know what should not be there.
    If your online poker works you are obviously getting online so nothing wrong with the netopia box!

Have you tried Firefox? Apart from being much better than IE if IE is borked then firefox will still work.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'd also try deleting any dial up connections if you have them there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement