Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swiss - Ukraine

• 26-06-2006 7:49pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Arsenal's Johan Djourou starts for Switzerland and Ukraine drop Serhiy Rebrov for Andriy Vorobey.
    What a day for the 19 year old. He should have had a goal against France but starting now should more than make up for it. He's got a very tough task in shackling Shevchenko.

This is certainly not a glamour tie but with both sides fancying their chances of quietly slipping into the last 8, I reckon it could be a good un.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ukraine to go through on penos perhaps :)
    Hope it's a good game of football and there is no discussion about the ref.
    What price for no red cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Swiss are the only team still to concede, and I can see them keeping that record going. Though maybe it will go to penalties.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ref has done well so far. Not a great match but there are a couple of interesting individual battles going on and both sides have hit the bar.

The first half was quite open, so hopefully there'll be a few goals in the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Hope this goes to penos and Frei misses to lose the game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

frei missing a last minute peno in the 90th minute, then missing one at the end of extra time, then missing the fifth penalty would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

frei missing a last minute peno in the 90th minute, then missing one at the end of extra time, then missing the fifth penalty would be better.

LOL...that would be very sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ah **** I just remembered that I have to wait for this to end before Lost. Come on ye boring bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

What a boring game.....looks like its heading to Ext time.........god no!!!!!!!

My bad guys, I'm sorry.

Those 22 useless lumps have cost me a tenner by their collective inability to figure out the point of football, ie. put the ball between the sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

What a boring game.....looks like its heading to Ext time.........god no!!!!!!!
    nearly as bad as the english game,but at least we might have the drama of a peno shoot out

• Advertisement

I reckon you could put your house on there not being a goal in ET the way these two (esp Swiss) are choosing to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The ref has had a nearly great game, missed a clear red-card foul and a couple of handballs but otherwise exellent.

Shevchenko is crap without service!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

this is why god invented gambling. makes **** 0-0 alls alot more eciting.

unfortunatly i had nothing on this so nearly fell asleep during it.

unfortunatly i had nothing on this so nearly fell asleep during it.

hopefully if it goes to penos i`ll get my money back

Well i think we should have our own little bets on the game....i.e. who will get the next throw in, or who gets the next corner or even the next offside....LOL:p

the next offside....LOL:p

Woah there! Let's have reasonable expectations of these two teams.

Anyway, I wager 10 quatludes on Vogel being the first player to break into a sweat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Dreadful game. At least Tunisia v Saudi Arabia had a few goals. Maybe the watching Blatter and Beckenbauer can figure out a way to throw them both out for putting us all through torture. At least the penos should give us some excitement.

Pigman II wrote:
    Woah there! Let's have reasonable expectations of these two teams.

Anyway, I wager 10 quatludes on Vogel being the first player to break into a sweat.

LMFAO............

I bet the Ref will have the next Shot on target!!!

I say....half time multi-ball!

Speaking of which.

I always thought it'd be interesting experiement to scrap penos and eliminate both teams if there is a 0-0 draw in 90mins. A bye would then be given to whoever the winner was supposed to play in the next round.

You certainly wouldn't see play like this if they both of them knew they were facing elimination.

• Advertisement

We all know whats going to happen now...........everyone will score their peno..........:p

It always seems to me that the team that plays for penos usually wins it so I guess the Swiss for this one. Hope I'm wrong.

Neither team deserves to go through after this pathetic display. Makes you sad that a team like Mexico has gone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

uuughghhh ... hope ukraine goes through just so the swiss cant impose that game on anyone else

They still can't score..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Poor Shev, another penalty shoot out.

I betcha Mourinho will never let him take one in a shootout.

even the shoot out is a joke

ha no goals tonight ...

Finally a Goal..........

• Advertisement

haha barnetta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Think this shoot out sums up the game.
    1 from 4 converted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

:D lol

I know it's unlikely that a game go to penos... but surely they could spend ONE session preparing for it!

I don't know what the hell the managers told their respective teams before the shoot-out started, but it must have been something like "do what your heart tells you to do", as opposed to "pick a f*cking corner and wallop it in!!!"

Looks good for Ukraine..........

The Swiss deserved that.after the game they played

next ukraine goal wins! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Well Ukraine through 3-0.
    How bad is that Swiss team...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Ukraine deserve this, the Switz are just horrid.

possibly the greatest result in world cup history.

game over,thank god

thank god .. they will probably get hockeyed out of it but at least it will be a better game

Truely dreadful, they spend two hours playing for penos and hit the 3 worst penos I have seen in a single shootout. Glad they are out, Ukraine to get hammered by Italy.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Absolutely sensational performance by Ukraine! World class!

Ukraine for the cup!

Swiss must be the first team ever to get knocked out without ever conceding a goal in play?

Interesting stat! if true.

Mike.

Pigman II wrote:
    Swiss must be the first team ever to get knocked out without ever conceding a goal in play?
    Aye was about to say, good trivia question for the future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ah what a shoot out. Cabanas and Streller make me proud to be an Fc Köln fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

omg what an awful painful match to watch. i wanted to go away from it but didnt want to risk missing anything. i watched two minutes of extra time and realised it was gonna be the same... went played a game of pro evo and came back for penalties.

im glad the swiss are out. boring gits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

As an avid fan of the world cup since it kicked off, and watching 80% of the matches, I can safely say that was by far the worst episode ever.

Italy shall trash Ukraine.

As an avid fan of the world cup since it kicked off, and watching 80% of the matches, I can safely say that was by far the worst episode ever.

Nah the England-Ecuador game was worse. At least Swiss and Ukraine were deliberately playing that way rather than the Ecuador and England who were spent and incompetent respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh God, no. England-Ecuador was poor, but it had good chances in it. This was terrible. How many shots on target were there...?

There's a match like it ever year. 0-0 for two hours and then a boring penalty shoot-out. Usually it's Ireland against someone. Anyone remember Gemrnay-Mexico from 86?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Pigman II wrote:

I'm told England did the same in 82, checking it now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement