Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muzzle Loaders

Options
  • 26-06-2006 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here know what the laws are regarding muzzleloaders?
    Is there any law covering the weapons themselves or is it powder/caps that are controlled?
    How about rifled muzzleloaders?
    If a license is required would it be an issue? (considering the high calibers)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

i think when reloading comes in they can work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

As I understand it, the problem with frunt-stuffers is the powder, currently classed an explosive. Whether reforms will mean shooters can buy black powder is something I'm not sure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So theres no restrictions on the weapons themselves?

What do the reenactors use for flash powder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Apprently they are liscensed like a normal firearm.But the big prob is the propellant.Black powder comes under the explosives act,BUT there are propellants out there that are much safer than BP,like pyrodex and ASFIK they dont fall under the explosive act.All in all should become easier?? under the new law.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Apprently they are liscensed like a normal firearm.
    Unless they're older than 1845? 1847? Can't remember off the top of my head which one. At any rate, predating that point and not using cartridges means that no firearms licence is required. But that doesn't do much good if you can't get the powder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Firearms manufactured before 1845 are classed as antiques and may be acquired without a firearms cert. You do, however, require a permit from your local Super to hold them. If you are bringing them into the State, you need a Importation Cert. from the Dept of Justice. On receiving the gun, it has to be sent to the Garda Ballistics in the Phoenix Park for verification. When you have all this, you may keep the gun as a wall hanger, you are not permitted to fire it. If you wish to use it, you have to licence it in the usual way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Sparks wrote:
    Unless they're older than 1845? 1847? Can't remember off the top of my head which one. At any rate, predating that point and not using cartridges means that no firearms licence is required.

Exellent,44 cal Walker Colts for all!:D

Sparks,or anyone.
    Does this apply to a type of firearm or to an actual ?
    In other words,say you want a Kentucky rifle,[pouplar around 1776] do you have to go and fork out many thousands for a genuine one,or can you go out and buy a kit and build your own Kentucky rifle,or buy a repro?
    The design is pre 1847,but you built one in 2006,have you now a firearm?
    Moot point really,as it is useless unless you have powder,or are going to mix up some BP yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

In other words,say you want a Kentucky rifle,[pouplar around 1776] do you have to go and fork out many thousands for a genuine one,or can you go out and buy a kit and build your own Kentucky rifle,or buy a repro?
    Has to be an original I think CG. I'm no expert in this. Croppy seems to know a bit more?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Indeed the gun has to be original and not repro but even the original cannot be fired without a firearms cert.

AFAIK the Colt Walker was made in 1847 which would put it just outside the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The reenactment crowd use repros at the battle of the boyne site, i wonder how they got around all this, anyone know?

• Advertisement
Advertisement