Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeze on student loan

Options
  • 26-06-2006 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I took out a student loan for a car while I was on work placement this past few months. Im going back to college in September and will be finished in December.

It would be a big help if I could get a freeze put on this loan. What you think are my chances? I will be ringing AIB tomorrow but just want to get an idea of what to expect!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Usually, the banks are okay about this kind of thing. It probably depends on the size of the loan (buying a Maybach vs buying a Micra!) and how well you've been paying back until now.

I've found AIB to be very accomodating in the past, as a student these things don't really effect your credit score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

By contrast to r3nu4l i had a terrible situation with Bank of Ireland. Had a student loan to pay for my masters, then was paying it back when i worked full-time. When i came back to do my PhD, they were absolutely terrible about allowing me to stop payments.

Maybe it depends on the bank, or on who you talk to in the bank. Wish i'd been with AIB!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My fortunate experience may have been because AIB had a branch on campus and didn't want to upset the University authorities! :) That said, I have always found AIB to be more accomodating than certain other banks when it comes to cutting some slack.

I closed my BOI account years ago because I found that as a student I was treated like dirt! Not just in my local branch but any branch I went into for any transactions.

OP, let us know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Thanks for the replies guys. Didnt get a chance to ring the bank but I will report back with my findings!

Cheers

Jumpa

Advertisement