Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age Difference

• 26-06-2006 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Ok I need opinions. Will a girl go with someone 3 years younger then herself? I.e. a 21 year old with an 18 year old. Both were getting on great until age mentioned. Still getting on grand but now I'm not quite sure. Everyone seems to be encouraging it though. As in other lads. Opinions? Women's opinions preferably

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

3 years is not a huge difference compared to some I've seen. I mean, once I heard about a 17 year old girl that was with a 35 year old man. As long as the 2 people invovled are comfortable with it it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

i find girls usually prefer the guy to be older. Go for it though, can't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

There have been plenty of threads about this on PI in the last few months and the concensus tended to be to 'go for it'. There is no point in letting a number get in the way when you are otherwise comfortable with someone. Also, there are loads of 21 year olds in happy relationships with 18 year olds - it's not as if it's unusual...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

vorbis wrote:
    i find girls usually prefer the guy to be older....

Correct. Most women prefer an older man. It's not terribly relevant once you're a few years into your twenties (and older!) but at 18 years old, you could be fighting a losing battle to win over a young woman of 21. She may have set her mind on someone either her age or a couple of years older, someone with more experience and maturity than you could be expected to have.

Or she could be happy enough to keep it casual and enjoy spending time with you. Either way, nobody will tell you where things stand except her. Be warned that the odds are stacked against you if you decide to go chasing for a 'proper' relationship. I'd be cheering you on mate, just consider you might not come off better than you are already....
    vorbis wrote:
    ....Go for it though, can't hurt.

Yeah it can. Don't get your hopes up just yet. Have a crack at it if you think you're up to it but be prepared to take a few knocks if you decide to tackle older women.

Bill!Im your love doctor.It could become a problem if you wanted a relationship but ye are both free and young.Chance your arm.Better than doing nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

It seems to me that an older man marrying a younger woman was more socially acceptable years ago than it is today.
    I know a couple who recently celebrated their sixtieth wedding anniversary, the man is 90 and the wife is 77.
    Therefore when they were married he was 30 and she was only 17.
    I also know of other similar age differences at marriage from the 40ies, 50ies and 60ies.

Am I right in thinking that if a 30 year old man was to marry a 17 year old girl in this day an age people would find it unsuitable?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

3 years is not much difference, depending on the maturity of the two people. Yes, women typically go with older men, so there may be some risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

When I was 31 I met a 22 year old and his age did put me off at first. Then I decided it didnt matter as we were only having a bit of fun. That was 5 years ago and we're getting married next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

truth is girls dont like going out with guys who are younger then them. generally they prefer the same age or older. girls mature quicker then guys in general and this is why girls can feel more comfortable with a older guy. one of my best friends boyfriends is only a yr and a half younger then her and it still bothers her for example.

maybe it doesnt bother this girl and sure if you like eachother enough it shouldnt be a problem

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Glenman wrote:
    It seems to me that an older man marrying a younger woman was more socially acceptable years ago than it is today.
    I know a couple who recently celebrated their sixtieth wedding anniversary, the man is 90 and the wife is 77.
    Therefore when they were married he was 30 and she was only 17.
    I also know of other similar age differences at marriage from the 40ies, 50ies and 60ies.

Am I right in thinking that if a 30 year old man was to marry a 17 year old girl in this day an age people would find it unsuitable?

My grandmother was 34 years younger than my grandfather. She died last year- whereas he died in 1972. I have no idea what marrying someone 34 years older than she was would possibly have been like. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

he's not asking is it ok for younger women to date older men, he's asking if he can be her toy boy and would girls go for it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

My first ever love was 22 and i was 18 .

My second I was 21 and she was 30, and we were together 5 years and are still good friends after 21 years. (I was mature for may age, and any childish temper tantrums were quickly dealt with :))

You will never know unless you try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

My hubby is two years younger than me.
    He's my Sweet young thing!!!!!
    Women live longer than men so it evens out in the end.

It can be a bit of a drag some times, though.
    I go through an age related phase and it is tough to muddle through because he doesn't understand it - and then when he hits that age he finally gets it, and I'm beyond it already! (like turning 30! OMG! I was a basket case!!!)

L4L

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Loads of my friends married guys younger then them. One couple met when she was 21 and he was 19 - they have been married for 2 years now - so go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Some women quite like the idea of a younger man. My last two boyfriends have been younger than me and I didn't care.

Personally,I find the whole "schoolboy" thing quite a turn on and I'm roughly the same age as your girly so I'd say you're still in with a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

3 years is nothing! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

i personally wouldnt! sorry, as mentioned most women go for older men, but if you think you have a chance with this girl, go for it!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

My ex girl friend was 29, I'm 21. She had problems with it in the start and got over it, I think it was me who had problems with it towards the end, but I've no idea TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Max_Nash

Has any of the guys gone for an older woman? I'm going with a woman 17 years my senior, I'm 25, we met when I was 20.

I've no problems its just i'm not sure if I want to settle down with her, we have good fun together, but settling down with her is another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Max_Nash wrote:
    Has any of the guys gone for an older woman? I'm going with a woman 17 years my senior, I'm 25, we met when I was 20.

I've no problems its just i'm not sure if I want to settle down with her, we have good fun together, but settling down with her is another thing.

I was 21 and she was 30 (9 years). We were together 5 years and it came to an end naturally, as we both grew and developed. Though we are still great friends after 21 years.

The question is does she want to settle down with you? If you are not sure then its better to say so staright away. Is she wanting to start a family? because she is in her early forties and this may be her last chance

• Advertisement

She's seperated with 3 children the oldest a girl age 22, so she's not looking for a husband just sex and fun.

What I like about her is that she's a real woman, been there done that, droopy boobs and likes to enjoy herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 km_corrigan

Im turning 25 shorlty and my girlfriend is 19, id agree that women like older men. I also don't see a problem in it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Look at Justin Trousersnake and Cameron Diaz. There's quite a few years between them. I honestly don't think it's an issue, if you like him, go for it. Good luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Well I'm 18 and I personally dont like girls more than 1 year younger than me, but thats just me, and it makes less difference once you're out of yer teens

But yeah, i think in general girls go for older guys, and just dismiss guys their own age, i mean "immature boys"

A lot of girls 21+ in clubs n stuff look down their noses at ye

But screw them, they dont know what they're missin ;)

And trust me! Girls are NO MORE mature than guys, they jus act like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slightlycrazy

Ok adding to this. She seemed to think I was alot older. So maybe I have the maturity thing down. Still I'll know by tomorrow. I'll tell you guys by tomorrow how it turns out. Actually thursday since I'll be going out tomorrow. Wish me luck and thanks for the advice all. Darren, have fun at ur debs and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Gateway

Max_Nash wrote:

Yip I did, 17 years as well! :D

Met her and her friends in town when I was 25 and she was 42 ended up with her for 7 great fun filled years! We went all over the world and had a ball then we pretty much drifted apart but we're still friends.

I'm now with an even better woman who's 8 years younger than me and she's beautiful, I think I'm in Lurve again!!

Anyway age doesn't matter as long as your happy!

Gateway wrote:
    Yip I did, 17 years as well! :D

Met her and her friends in town when I was 25 and she was 42 ended up with her for 7 great fun filled years! We went all over the world and had a ball then we pretty much drifted apart but we're still friends.

I'm now with an even better woman who's 8 years younger than me and she's beautiful, I think I'm in Lurve again!!

Anyway age doesn't matter as long as your happy!

You can learn a lot about life from an older woman, as she has plenty of experience of life.

You can get funny looks from people when your out, there are a few down sides must the positive ones outweigh them.

One thing about older women they have no shame, my girlfriend is not shy in wearning revealing tops, then again there are few who have not seen her assets!

I'm unsure about her loyalty I think she's in it for the fun, to be honest she made me feel very confortable on my first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My friend, at 19, met his gf who was 26. They're a perfect match and five years later they are happily married with a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slightlycrazy

Result of the night. Forgot her and went with a different girl instead. Ah well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

sounds to me as though you bottled it mate!

;)

When I was 19 I was seeing a 25 year old woman- It ended up with me calling it off with her (relationship ran its course) but it worked fine up until this cause nobody stuck their noses in about the age gap....which is how it should be in every case like this - unfortunatly theres usually someone you know that gets jealous and has to interfere

Advertisement