Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart BB and linksys wag54gs

Options
  • 26-06-2006 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi all,

I somehow lost my settings on the wag54gs to connect to smart and don't remember how to set it up.

Anybody have these settings? Much appreciated. btw I'm using it with 1 pc and 1 wireless laptop if that helps.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The default settings for any router on Smart are:

Username: your phone number
    Password: supplied by smart
    Connection Type - PPPoE
    VPI - 8
    VCI - 35
    Encapsulation - LLC

Further settings here - http://support.smarttelecom.ie/bbsettings.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

thanks pizzahead77, will give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

Hi lads, i was wondering if any router will do for the smart bb connection. I'll need a wireless router to supply two pcs upstairs. Any recommendations on which make or model i should buy or will anything do the job?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

wanwarlock wrote:
    Hi all,

I somehow lost my settings on the wag54gs to connect to smart and don't remember how to set it up.

Anybody have these settings? Much appreciated. btw I'm using it with 1 pc and 1 wireless laptop if that helps.

Thanks

Sadly you did not just 'somehow' lose your settings with this router it is a known fault on it!!!! The settings just vanish from time to time. It has excellent wireless range but is a bit of a disaster in the settings respect.

MunkyHed wrote:
    Hi lads, i was wondering if any router will do for the smart bb connection. I'll need a wireless router to supply two pcs upstairs. Any recommendations on which make or model i should buy or will anything do the job?

You need to make sure that what ever router you purchase is ADSL2+ compatible as not all ADSL ones will connect to Smart. I currently have a Belkin F5D7633uk4A ADSL2+ Modem with High-Speed Mode Wireless-G Router. It cost me €120 in PC World (normally €140).

But you can cheaper ones that are just the normal 54g speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Or just put the AoLynk in bridge mode and buy a linksys wrt54g.

TimTim wrote:
    Or just put the AoLynk in bridge mode and buy a linksys wrt54g.

However be careful as there are problems with ''version 5'' of this particular model.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Komplett is selling the WRT54GL's and someone's managed to put a micro version of dd-wrt on the v5's.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

You need to make sure that what ever router you purchase is ADSL2+ compatible as not all ADSL ones will connect to Smart. I currently have a Belkin F5D7633uk4A ADSL2+ Modem with High-Speed Mode Wireless-G Router. It cost me €120 in PC World (normally €140).

But you can cheaper ones that are just the normal 54g speeds.

Nice one, i'll have a look in Maplin, they seemed to have a good range in there.

i think my wireless has gone on this. first my settings just somehow vanish, then now my laptop can't connect wirelessly. it says connected at 54mbps but keeps saying acquiring network address. or when i manage to get an ip address, it says automatic private address or something not assigned by dhcp.

have tried disabling wireless security, changed wireless channel. my pda can't connect to wireless as well. is the wireless thingy burnt out???

• Advertisement

My advice would be if you still have your receipt bring it back to whereever you bought it - there is a basic flaw in the design in that it wont hold the basic set up settings.

i bought it in argos almost a year back, do u thiink they would accept (if i find the receipt)??

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

I'm having problems setting the WAG54GS (with Smart). There is no internet connection whatsoever. I get to the 'Save Settings' page, and then it stops and says there is no internet connection. What am I doing wrong??

Do you have the original smart router (aolynx/speedtouch) to check to see if your connection is working?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Hi,
    Thanks for your quick reply!! It's fine, I got it working. I hadn't initially got the gateway connected to the aolynk router. So now I'm happily typing this 'wirelessly'!!!!:D

Advertisement