Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coleslaw question

• 26-06-2006 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

something that bugs me about coleslaw is why it makes me feel so sick ,if it's gone a little dull in colour ????

Do you know what process makes it do this ??

I always notice on a monday morning in shops ,it has a dull grey look to it ,
    thanks.

Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

A lot of foodstuffs change colour when exposed to oxygen, or cut open. Oxidisation. Electrons doin stuff. >_>

I can send this to chemistry if you'd prefer a slightly more knowledgeable response.

Coleslaw always makes me feel sick when I see it though, one of my peccadilloes is my inability to eat anything with mayonnaise that someone else has prepared.

EDIT: forgot a d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It makes my stomach sick ,which never happens .
    Is it because of bacteria that grows in the mayonaise or something ,I'm a bit suspicious about it .

Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

_Brian_ wrote:
    Is it because of bacteria that grows in the mayonaise or something ,I'm a bit suspicious about it .

Brian.

Oxidisation is basically rusting in metal. It's the same process.

There would probably be bacteria involved if it makes you feel sick, I'd never go for anything on a deli counter that does not look fresh, in fact I hardly ever touch those deli counters anyway, congealed food doesn't do it for me.

What I love is grated carrot w/ a nice zingy white wine vinegar dressing. Nyom. I just don't like mayonnaise on many things apart from Ryvita w/ tomatoes & marmite, or a steak sandwich.

On the speak of deli counters ,does anyone know what the regulations are for storing such display foods at night ????

I've often gone into a shop first thing in the morning and the display counters are open at the back :( ,the thoughts of four legged friends on night duty eww

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

_Brian_ wrote:

Brian.
    The mayo that they use has been pasturised to within an inch of it's life (if it had any life in it) so I doubt it.

My girlfriend got me to taste some coleslaw last night that she was having in a sandwich, it was fizzy, and it was still well within date. Horrible crap it is anyway.

<edit> oh yeah she didn't eat it as a result, just thought I'd mention that.

Thanks for the replies,
    I'll be knockin it on the head from now on I thinks.

Brian.

Shabadu wrote:
    I just don't like mayonnaise on many things apart from Ryvita w/ tomatoes & marmite,

I just spotted this and all I can say is o_O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

_Brian_ wrote:
    On the speak of deli counters ,does anyone know what the regulations are for storing such display foods at night ????

I've often gone into a shop first thing in the morning and the display counters are open at the back :( ,the thoughts of four legged friends on night duty eww

The rules in place are those of the HACCP system. The display counters should be definitely closed and not only that there should be a log confirming that they were closed for the night which should be signed off by someone On top of that the food within should be measured regularly with a thermometer and recorded in a log book. The rules are pretty strict.
    HACCP (hazard analysis critical control points) was invented by NASA and was brought into the EU as a response to that mass food poisoing episode in Scotland a few years back. It clearly has benefits to the public at large but has had the effect of driving smaller operators out of business.

• Advertisement

frobisher wrote:
    The rules in place are those of the HACCP system. The display counters should be definitely closed and not only that there should be a log confirming that they were closed for the night which should be signed off by someone On top of that the food within should be measured regularly with a thermometer and recorded in a log book. The rules are pretty strict.
    HACCP (hazard analysis critical control points) was invented by NASA and was brought into the EU as a response to that mass food poisoing episode in Scotland a few years back. It clearly has benefits to the public at large but has had the effect of driving smaller operators out of business.
    I could name 5 places in Dublin that fake all their HACCP forms.

Also Blub, you've never tried marmite, tomato & mayo on ryvita? It wins. It wins so hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Shabadu wrote:
    I could name 5 places in Dublin that fake all their HACCP forms. so hard.
    I think it might be even harder to name 5 places that don't fake theirs!;)

Laziness has many downsides i suppose ,one being food poisoning.
    I will make my own sambo's in future ,

My worst deli experience though had to be ,buying a cardboard cornish pastie on the way home one night from town ,it was about 4am and it took me at least a half an hour to eat.
    My stomach felt like i just ate a packet of razor blades for hours after

Brian.

Advertisement