Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD boards... retarded barely describes thee

Options
  • 27-06-2006 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Dear Fellow Boardsies

Now, i imagine this thread will be locked and i'll receive a ban pretty darn quick for this. Thankfully, I'm writing it in the middle of the night so possibly there will be a reply or two before it gets locked.

So where to begin. I'm about to begin my third year in UCD soon enough. i dont need to cross my fingers as i already know my results. and i confess that the 2006/2007 academic year for me will be a Boards.ie free zone. Why should you care? You probably shouldn't. Then again, YOU (plural this time) are the reason for it.

Now many of you know me, I have friends here and there are people here I don't particularly like for whatever opinions they may or may not hold. You know who you all are. I was heavily involved at the beginning of the 2005/2006 academic year with UCDboards. I organised 2 beers in the SU bar and forum bar. The former being more successful in terms of numbers than the latter. I'm also involved in a few things around campus, for example Belfield FM and Philsoc. I personally, love UCD. I also enjoy bitching about the weather in belfield, the D4 heads, the pretentious assholes and everything else. However the one thing that I bitch about more than anything else....

is YOU. (thats plural again for anyone not paying attention i realise how short your attention spans can be)

I would invite anyone, not familiar with the Boards.ie kabal, to do their best not to be come entangled in it.

What has brought on this particular tirade from me? Anyone who viewed the thread about the Craic Soc (oh no i mentioned "craic soc" is that gonna get me banned? suck my furry cock) fundraiser. The fact that it deceminated into a pointless arguement was at first amusing, then irritating and ultimately infuriating.

Kudos to Scop, one of the individuals here who I hold dear, for his attempt to retain some level of intelligence and logic in the debate before the thread was locked. The reason it was locked i found extremely amusing. We're not allowed discuss drinking on campus... oooh the big bad wolf might find out? This is, in all respects, retarded thinking (for you PC nazis i'm referring to the opposite of "accelarated thinking"). It reminds me that University is NOT for everyone.

Craic soc, isnt a society registered with UCD, but it is fun. I know several members and am considering attending tomorrow nights fundraiser. I know people who got fined last september, and other times, for drinking on campus. I'd like to take a moment to remind you that not EVERYONE in UCD comes from a plush middle class background where mammy and daddy pay for everything. Several people who got fined, for simply trying to maximise their college experience, probably suffered in other ways due to the fine. Now some smart arse is gonna say, if they can barely afford a fine they shouldnt be spending money on booze and they're probably right. But i challenge you to go through college with out a night out, booze or not.

Then again i'm probably talking to the exact people who wouldnt know a good time in UCD if it bit off their face and defaecated said face onto their chest.

Thus in order to maximise my enjoyment of UCD i shall from here on, no longer post on this crap ass forum.

You win.

Who knew that being total ****tards would work. I sure as shít didnt.

Bite me

Yours Sincerely

Happy Crack Head I

p.s.

There was more but i got fed up.

p.p.s. go fúck yourselves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Dear Fellow Boardsies

Now, i imagine this thread will be locked and i'll receive a ban pretty darn quick for this. Thankfully, I'm writing it in the middle of the night so possibly there will be a reply or two before it gets locked.

So where to begin. I'm about to begin my third year in UCD soon enough. i dont need to cross my fingers as i already know my results. and i confess that the 2006/2007 academic year for me will be a Boards.ie free zone. Why should you care? You probably shouldn't. Then again, YOU (plural this time) are the reason for it.

Now many of you know me, I have friends here and there are people here I don't particularly like for whatever opinions they may or may not hold. You know who you all are. I was heavily involved at the beginning of the 2005/2006 academic year with UCDboards. I organised 2 beers in the SU bar and forum bar. The former being more successful in terms of numbers than the latter. I'm also involved in a few things around campus, for example Belfield FM and Philsoc. I personally, love UCD. I also enjoy bitching about the weather in belfield, the D4 heads, the pretentious assholes and everything else. However the one thing that I bitch about more than anything else....

is YOU. (thats plural again for anyone not paying attention i realise how short your attention spans can be)

I would invite anyone, not familiar with the Boards.ie kabal, to do their best not to be come entangled in it.

What has brought on this particular tirade from me? Anyone who viewed the thread about the Craic Soc (oh no i mentioned "craic soc" is that gonna get me banned? suck my furry cock) fundraiser. The fact that it deceminated into a pointless arguement was at first amusing, then irritating and ultimately infuriating.

Kudos to Scop, one of the individuals here who I hold dear, for his attempt to retain some level of intelligence and logic in the debate before the thread was locked. The reason it was locked i found extremely amusing. We're not allowed discuss drinking on campus... oooh the big bad wolf might find out? This is, in all respects, retarded thinking (for you PC nazis i'm referring to the opposite of "accelarated thinking"). It reminds me that University is NOT for everyone.

Craic soc, isnt a society registered with UCD, but it is fun. I know several members and am considering attending tomorrow nights fundraiser. I know people who got fined last september, and other times, for drinking on campus. I'd like to take a moment to remind you that not EVERYONE in UCD comes from a plush middle class background where mammy and daddy pay for everything. Several people who got fined, for simply trying to maximise their college experience, probably suffered in other ways due to the fine. Now some smart arse is gonna say, if they can barely afford a fine they shouldnt be spending money on booze and they're probably right. But i challenge you to go through college with out a night out, booze or not.

Then again i'm probably talking to the exact people who wouldnt know a good time in UCD if it bit off their face and defaecated said face onto their chest.

Thus in order to maximise my enjoyment of UCD i shall from here on, no longer post on this crap ass forum.

You win.

Bite me

Yours Sincerely

Happy Crack Head I

p.s.

would have been better with a few specifics, if you're gonna be banned why hold back!...there's still time:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Dear Fellow Boardsies

Do you feel you are owed an apology for this?

I see. No actually, wait. No I don't. Must be my short attention span but, who exactly are you? Oh wait...yes I remember. You're that guy who appears every now and then to rant about something or other in that well practiced tone of superiority. Please, do continue.

Duly noted, thanks.

Ah I understand. People held a differing viewpoint to your good self and therefore are retarded. I see how it works.

Ah yes, kudos to scop, the one who agreed with you and is therefore not retarded like the rest of us. See now, I'm confused again. There was me thinking that the thread was locked because 1) Craic Soc is an illegal society in UCD and 2) they were advertising. I mean, thats what I read but I'm sure you're right and I'm wrong. I mean you are the only intelligent person (apart from scop) to grace this forum.

I think we're all aware that not everyone that attends the college is from a well-off background. That topic has been discussed in some shape or form on a number of occasions. But you knew that right? Oh and I managed to go through college having plenty of nights out without getting myself fined. But hey, I must be loaded right? I mean, we all know that the bar is UCD is simply extortionate.

Oh wait....you're right again. I have never, in all my three years in UCD, had a good night out. Yet again I bow to your superior wisdom.

Well I for one will be utterly devastated Kev. I mean, who is there now to tell us all how stupid we are and how we should all agree with you in order to not be stupid anymore?
    You win.

There was a contest?

There was a contest?....Oh, look! There's that short attention span you were ta.....ooooh something shiny!!
    Bite me

Nah I'm good thanks.
    Yours Sincerely

Happy Crack Head I

p.s.

Pity, I was hoping to hear more.

If you say so.

That was one hilarious post and I thank you, sincerely. You certainly cheered me up through my insomnia.

Perhaps when you have your head dislodged from your rectum and that undeserved sense of self-importance removed you will actually realise that all you did just there is show yourself up to be a complete and utter tosser. Man people slag off the D4 heads but its the pseudo-intellectuals that provide the real entertainment.

I'm sure your wonderful contributions (read:various rants from whatever high horse you were on that week) will be sorely missed from this forum....Well, from those posters without a short attention span. Although to be honest Kev, you didn't really do much at all around here and I'm pretty sure your post will be met with a number of "who the fúck is that loser?" responses.

But I'm glad that you feel better having got that "tirade" (*snigger*) off your chest. You, sir, are pretty much a non-entity around these parts. Go back to ucdsu.net where your views will no doubt be met with no disagreement. I mean someone of your intelligence surely doesn't have the time to actually present a well thought out argument on certain subjects, especially not to "fúckwits" like ourselves. What would be the point? There's no way we'd get it.

Now if you're quite done I'm sure we'd all like to get back to our plush little D4 "mammy and daddy pay for everything" lives while we scoff at the commoners of Craic Soc. Ya know, the illegal society whose event you are "considering" going to. It's good to see you feel so strongly about it that you feel the need to post abuse here, yet perhaps not strongly enough to actually get off your ass and go and support them. But you're waaaaay too important for that, right Kev? I mean they should be fúcking honoured that you even deigned to mention them. You are a true martyr to the cause of the common man.

Bye bye Kev.

(p.s.: If an internet forum causes you that amount of bitching (especially one that you rarely contribute to) then you should really get out more. You should also worry about the fact that you seem to think people here actually give a shít about you or what you have to say. Trust me Kev, they don't.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

good ol gross generalisations and assumptions and then some other stuff randomly thrown in.
    Anyone who viewed the thread about the Craic Soc -snip- ultimately infuriating.
    I have no problem with craic soc (infact fair play to em) but im not willing to pay their fines for them (which i realise they ain't asking us to do. They are providing a "service" for the money). Im not going to go into that again so i wont.
    The fact that it deceminated into a pointless arguement was at first amusing, then irritating and ultimately infuriating.
    I didnt think it was pointless. Hell a debate usually brings in the "viewers" and gets an event more exposure (any publicity is good publicity afterall). That said im probably a "retarded thinker" seeing as i dont agree with you and Craic Soc on that particular issue.
    The reason it was locked i found extremely amusing.
    The one part of your post that i actually agree with. I found it fairly funny why the post was locked seeing as while this is the UCD forum it actually has nothing to do with UCD other than some of UCD's students read this forum. Its not run or payed for by UCD (afaik they dont pay anything to boards) so not sure why we here should care what they think when we discuss a topic.
    I know people who got fined last september, and other times, for drinking on campus.
    So what your saying is, just because some people come from middle class backgrounds they use their heads and dont drink on campus where there has been a history of people being fined. Doesnt this make the (i assume ur talking about "lower class" ppl here rather than "upper class") "retarded thinkers" the ones not from the middle class background who can see what they can get away with and what not. Shoot yourself in the foot there did ya? ouch painful.
    I disagree completly with you on this point, i know plenty of people from a "middle class" background who drink on UCD campus (and no not in the "officially sanctioned areas" before you try that one). The life of a student is expensive no matter what background your from. Sure some peoples parents pay for everything but most have to make do with just a lil help (and ofc some with no help). Most people i know who have lots of money to spend in UCD work very very hard for it.
    Several people who got fined, for simply trying to maximise their college experience, probably suffered in other ways due to the fine.
    Fair play to em, have a good time by all means but realise what you can and cant do. Theres plenty of places to drink and only one of them is the UCD campus. Just cos u wanna maximise your college life doesnt mean you have to do it on campus! Use your bloody head. I may not agree with the rules but theres better way to fight them then paying more money into their pockets. Don't these fines make drinking on campus actually more expensive than drinking in a pub or havin some sort of party somewhere off campus?
    Probably, i am afterall disagreeing with you which automatically seems to be a cardinal sin and plumps me into the "mommy and daddy pays for everything" column.
    Tbh since i started posting here i've seen you around very little so for me *personally* its no big loss.
    You win.

Well we certainly didnt win but i do think "you"(im using this you as a collection of the people who got fined) loose. Only winner there is UCD and (in the case of this thread) the ban police.

I woulda had some respect for ya if you had managed to post this and get your point accross without insulting everyone here (wether they were part of your "target" audience or not) in one gigantic swoop. But what do you care? What does it matter if you insult and blame everyone in life wether they were guilty or not. Then again you probably dont give two ****s, your attitude seems to be, Join us or get outta the ****ing way.
    Enjoy the rest of your UCD education, i feel no resentment towards you as all you did was express your opinion which is your entitlment. Pity you had to be a gob****e while doing it but thats your problem more than it is mine.

Go beat "the man" down, just dont get fined in the process eh ;)

Edit: im sorry for using the ol quote and reply response type. It sux i know.
    dbl edit: if this was a troll, fair play to ya. Best troll *ever* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

brilliant!

• Advertisement

B-K-DzR wrote:

The funniest thing about it is that you can be guaranteed it's not a troll.

I wonder if his mate VenusInFurs helped him write that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Ah Mr CrackHead. The crack has indeed gotten to your head. For leaving with maximum sour grapes I'm afraid I can only score you a 6/10. Must try harder.

Though the craicsoc thread lockage was indeed gheyness of the highest order you're thread has only afforded bordsies the opportunity to rage against "pseudo-intellectuals" and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Dear Fellow Boardsies
    <snip>
    *Yawn*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

B-K-DzR wrote:
    good ol gross generalisations and assumptions and then some other stuff randomly thrown in.

I have no problem with craic soc (infact fair play to em) but im not willing to pay their fines for them (which i realise they ain't asking us to do. They are providing a "service" for the money). Im not going to go into that again so i wont.

I didnt think it was pointless. Hell a debate usually brings in the "viewers" and gets an event more exposure (any publicity is good publicity afterall). That said im probably a "retarded thinker" seeing as i dont agree with you and Craic Soc on that particular issue.

The one part of your post that i actually agree with. I found it fairly funny why the post was locked seeing as while this is the UCD forum it actually has nothing to do with UCD other than some of UCD's students read this forum. Its not run or payed for by UCD (afaik they dont pay anything to boards) so not sure why we here should care what they think when we discuss a topic.

So what your saying is, just because some people come from middle class backgrounds they use their heads and dont drink on campus where there has been a history of people being fined. Doesnt this make the (i assume ur talking about "lower class" ppl here rather than "upper class") "retarded thinkers" the ones not from the middle class background who can see what they can get away with and what not. Shoot yourself in the foot there did ya? ouch painful.
    I disagree completly with you on this point, i know plenty of people from a "middle class" background who drink on UCD campus (and no not in the "officially sanctioned areas" before you try that one). The life of a student is expensive no matter what background your from. Sure some peoples parents pay for everything but most have to make do with just a lil help (and ofc some with no help). Most people i know who have lots of money to spend in UCD work very very hard for it.

Fair play to em, have a good time by all means but realise what you can and cant do. Theres plenty of places to drink and only one of them is the UCD campus. Just cos u wanna maximise your college life doesnt mean you have to do it on campus! Use your bloody head. I may not agree with the rules but theres better way to fight them then paying more money into their pockets. Don't these fines make drinking on campus actually more expensive than drinking in a pub or havin some sort of party somewhere off campus?

Probably, i am afterall disagreeing with you which automatically seems to be a cardinal sin and plumps me into the "mommy and daddy pays for everything" column.

Tbh since i started posting here i've seen you around very little so for me *personally* its no big loss.

Well we certainly didnt win but i do think "you"(im using this you as a collection of the people who got fined) loose. Only winner there is UCD and (in the case of this thread) the ban police.

I woulda had some respect for ya if you had managed to post this and get your point accross without insulting everyone here (wether they were part of your "target" audience or not) in one gigantic swoop. But what do you care? What does it matter if you insult and blame everyone in life wether they were guilty or not. Then again you probably dont give two ****s, your attitude seems to be, Join us or get outta the ****ing way.
    Enjoy the rest of your UCD education, i feel no resentment towards you as all you did was express your opinion which is your entitlment. Pity you had to be a gob****e while doing it but thats your problem more than it is mine.

Go beat "the man" down, just dont get fined in the process eh ;)

Edit: im sorry for using the ol quote and reply response type. It sux i know.
    I seriously couldn't be bothered, so ditto ^.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Now, i imagine this thread will be locked and i'll receive a ban pretty darn quick for this

Why would we ban you if you're never posting here again anyway?

You win.

Booya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Guys, why bother replying to this?! (And there's no need to point out the irony of me replying in order to ask!) ;)

Samos wrote:
    Guys, why bother replying to this?! (And there's no need to point out the irony of me replying in order to ask!) ;)

Ah because it's funny and we wouldn't want poor little Kev to feel he tried so hard for nothing.
    you're thread has only afforded bordsies the opportunity to rage against "pseudo-intellectuals" and the like.

Rofl. I love when you actually know in advance what someone will reply.

I'm very sorry pretty*monster, but I don't see where I "raged" against pseudo-intellectuals. Instead I merely pointed out that they provide better entertainment than other stereotypical groups in UCD, as evidenced by Kev's post and certain other posters that have deigned to grace us with their presence on this "crap ass forum".

While you may see Hullaballoo's locking of the Craic_Soc thread as "gheyness of the highest order", he was simply doing his job. If he was inconsistent in his moderating I'm sure that'd be seen as "ghey" too. :rolleyes:

I think Robin put it best when he said,
    irlrobins wrote:
    Yawn

"Rofl. I love when you actually know in advance what someone will reply.

I'm very sorry pretty*monster, but I don't see where I "raged" against pseudo-intellectuals. Instead I merely pointed out that they provide better entertainment than other stereotypical groups in UCD, as evidenced by Kev's post and certain other posters that have deigned to grace us with their presence on this "crap ass forum".

While you may see Hullaballoo's locking of the Craic_Soc thread as "gheyness of the highest order", he was simply doing his job. If he was inconsistent in his moderating I'm sure that'd be seen as "ghey" too."

Chillax, I was being sarcky or ironic, or one of those things. (About the pseudo-intellectuals anyway, locking the thread is completely unjustifiable, but I'm not a mod, I didn't complain at the time, and I'm not asking for it to be unlocked, I'm just adding my agreement that it shouldn't have been locked in the first place.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Didn't even read it... Based on the replies though, goodbye.

W-I-E-R-D-O....

Chillax, I was being sarcky or ironic, or one of those things. (About the pseudo-intellectuals anyway, locking the thread is completely unjustifiable, but I'm not a mod, I didn't complain at the time, and I'm not asking for it to be unlocked, I'm just adding my agreement that it shouldn't have been locked in the first place.)

lol this place gets funnier every day...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

That CraicSoc thread may be realise some people are wound way too fúcking tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

scop is now officially the most intelligent person on UCD boards, and wishes to be addressed as such.

All donations for his MENSA application can be sent through paypal, details via PM.

Sangre wrote:
    That CraicSoc thread may be realise some people are wound way too fúcking tight.

You could say the same about the OP who felt the need to post such drivel because of it.

Meh, either way it's provided some entertainment.

I could and would say the same thing.

How long did that take you to write? Seriously.

|_ is for LOSER!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Dear Fellow Boardsies

You win.

Bite me

Yours Sincerely

Happy Crack Head I

p.s.

ahh, thats Cute! You guys have your own little Snorlax!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Congratulations HCH, you finally got rid of the soap box, and have decided to take up residence on a grassy knoll, from which you will no doubt proffer upon us mere retards what we should and shouldn't think.

Right that's you out of the way, now for the rest of you who didn't see the idea behind locking the Craicsoc thread:

I knew that when I was made mod of this forum that it would cause some ructions along the line because I'm a bit more strict and all of that and I said that I'd at least make an effort to explain myself for things that seemed to cause difficulty.

I know that most of you think that because of the Craicsoc thread, that I am acting as if UCD itself is moderating the forum. Well I just want to set the record straight on that one.

Craicsoc is not a "legal" society in the eyes of UCD, but frankly I couldn't give a wnak about that (apart from the fact that there's no need for it). What I'm concerned with is that it constantly breaks national laws. I'm not a fan of graffiti at the best of times, although if it's really good and it brightens up a concrete wall, I don't see the harm. However, one thing I really hate is people writing on walls in permanent/paint markers "Joxo luvs Sharin" or "Craicsoc '06" all over the toilets in UCD.

Apart from that, there was a time in UCD when it was either legal or easy to get away with drinking on campus without services coming along and breaking it up. Then all of a sudden Craicsoc started letting the powers that be know where we all went drinking on campus. So they started enforcing the rules. Slow clap for Craicsoc.

Apart from my personal feelings against Craicsoc, there were other reasons for the thread being locked and the account banned.

The account/thread was treated in the same way as any other thread of its type. Advertising for free on boards is frowned upon by admins, and also by anyone who gives a toss about boards. The Craicsoc thread was looking to use boards for the financial gain of an organisation or person without providing anything to the site in return.

Now, I don't care if any of the anarchists scream and shout "but it's not advertising, they're one of us" because it makes absolutely no difference to me who the fcuk they are, I do not operate double standards. No advertising on this forum. End of.

Ideally people would just accept that I reason out every single decision I make to the nth degree and take as much time as I think is necessary, and consider as many angles as I can before I do something to moderate a forum. But hey, then you'd miss out on posts like this.

Boards has always also allowed advertisements if the information benefits the forum reader. Look at the poker forum, Devore's favourite hunting ground. They even set up a special event sub forum to advertise these. Why? Because the info hugely benefits the community.

So a total advertisement ban is quite short sighted and not particulary in line with boards.ie policy. I guess you have to weigh the benefit the poster gets versus the benefit the reader receives.

Sangre wrote:
    Boards has always also allowed advertisements if the information benefits the forum reader. Look at the poker forum, Devore's favourite hunting ground. They even set up a special event sub forum to advertise these. Why? Because the info hugely benefits the community.
    I think that the response to the craicsoc thread pretty much showed that the advertisment definitely wasn't benefitting anyone.

I was referring to the "No advertising on this forum. End of." not a particular thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

why is there always an argument going on here in some shape or form? I only drop by very occasionally to check dates and see what's happening and shít, and there's always a fight about who's left or right wing, or who's smarter than who, or who's shoes are shinier than who's. From someone from the outside of the clique, but also in UCD, I gotta say, it makes some people look very petty, and i mean that in a genuine way, not trying to be confrontational or anything. Then again, you know what they say about familiarity....

lol this place gets funnier every day...

Excuse me?

I never had a problem with societies advertising their events (That's what the Events Thread was for before Truckle got rid :p)

However, I think in this instance locking the thread was perfectly justified. Craic Soc is not an official UCD society. Would you give money to an unofficial charity? Would you like them to advertise here? Nope. So why should Craic Soc be any different?

Hullaballoo doesn't need to justify his actions to any member of this forum. He has proven himself to be a level-headed, fair yet firm moderator and that's why he was chosen to mod here. If you have a problem with any action he takes send him a PM instead of bitching about it like this.

griffdaddy wrote:
    why is there always an argument going on here in some shape or form? I only drop by very occasionally to check dates and see what's happening and shít, and there's always a fight about who's left or right wing, or who's smarter than who, or who's shoes are shinier than who's. From someone from the outside of the clique, but also in UCD, I gotta say, it makes some people look very petty, and i mean that in a genuine way, not trying to be confrontational or anything. Then again, you know what they say about familiarity....
    Well I'd have to say that 90% of the arguments stuff is politics/SU related, and I learned fairly quickly after coming here that most of the time it just really isn't worth getting involved in.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sangre wrote:
    That's a pretty poor analogy. I reckon advertising is allowed in the poker forum because DeV looks after that. He can control it. He owns the site, so he can break the rules if he wants. If DeV wants to do something in poker, or elsewhere on the site, I think his job perks stretch to allow him to. We mere moderators don't have such freedom, and we need to restrict ourselves in allowing stuff that could damage boards.

I think I covered myself by saying that people who were giving something to the site (ie the community) could stretch the rules slightly.

I also missed something else when I was talking about why I locked the thread. Despite the fact that boards is separate to UCD and this forum is not governed by UCD policy, there is no such thing as absolute freedom of speech. It would be foolhardy for me to allow everyone in here say what they like about who they like in UCD because it has been shown (even very recently) that this forum is read by certain people who may take exception.

• Advertisement

Its not a poor analogy because that type of advertisement (benefical to the community even if it benefits the poster) has been done on boards for as long as I've been here (5 years).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement