Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I tell him?

• 27-06-2006 4:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, so I'm sure this has been asked before but any advice you guys can give me I would really appreciate!

So I'm a 20 yr old girl, I've never had a boyfriend. I pretty shy when it comes to this sort of stuff. So forgive me if I sound like an idiot.

So I fancy this guy but this guy happens to be one of my friends. He is really quiet and really hard to read so I don't know if he fancies me or not. I'm not very flirtatious and neither is he...I get the impression that he has never had a girlfriend as I've known him for 2 years now and there has been no signs of him being with anyone.

We get on pretty well and hang out a lot but I just don't know what I should do...should I tell him I like him? Or just leave it?

This is a really hard situation for me as I'm pretty shy and inexperienced.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Just take the plunge and tell him. Chances are it'll turn out fine. And if it doesn't then it won't be the end of the world, granted it'll be a little awkward for a little while, but you'll get over it.

And if you don't, it'd be the type of thing that would niggle at the back of your mind for years. As the saying goes, "It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do."

Don't worry, it'll be fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

I agree, go for it. If he's really quiet and shy aswell then chances are he won't make the first move even though he'd probably love to, so if you don't do it, it may never happen. It's a great confidence boost if you ask someone out and they say yes. Even if he says he's not interested then at least you'll know and he'll respect you for being so brave. It's always flattering when someone tells you they like you regardless of how you feel about them.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on. Also, the longer you wait to do it the bigger deal it'll seem in your head so just do it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Go for it - good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Yeah go for it...definately:D They say that friends first is better!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

unreg..3 wrote:
    We get on pretty well and hang out a lot but I just don't know what I should do...should I tell him I like him? Or just leave it?

YES !

Furthermore, is there anything you both like to do in common? Ask him to share it together with you. Films? Theatre? Hiking? Reading? Creative writing? Sports? Bicycling? Swimming? Just hanging out in the park? Ask him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

unreg..3 wrote:
    Okay, so I'm sure this has been asked before but any advice you guys can give me I would really appreciate!

So I'm a 20 yr old girl, I've never had a boyfriend. I pretty shy when it comes to this sort of stuff. So forgive me if I sound like an idiot.

So I fancy this guy but this guy happens to be one of my friends. He is really quiet and really hard to read so I don't know if he fancies me or not. I'm not very flirtatious and neither is he...I get the impression that he has never had a girlfriend as I've known him for 2 years now and there has been no signs of him being with anyone.

This is a really hard situation for me as I'm pretty shy and inexperienced.

yes.

or get a video out and fall asleep on his shoulder and go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

yes.

oohh, good advice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

just go for it. lifes too short. or be sly and find out what type of girl he likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Just tell him, dont have too much dutch courage before telling him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Go for it
    Let us know how it goes ;)

• Advertisement

yes.

or if you go clubbing take him dancing before the slow set :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

unreg..3 wrote:
    I get the impression that he has never had a girlfriend as I've known him for 2 years now and there has been no signs of him being with anyone.

I'd say go for it but have a look at what you said above. I'm just throwing it out there as a cautionary note, maybe he's not interested in girls. Perhaps he's gay? In any event, bite the bullet and you'll definitely find out one way or the other. Good luck with it.
    if you go clubbing take him dancing before the slow set.

Do they still have slow sets???

Do they still have slow sets???[/QUOTE]

showing my age then

showing my age then

No more than myself it would seem! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭sioda

Go for it its never worth wondering what mite have been

I miss slow sets myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

They still have slow sets in some places close to me.

Then again, I am from the sticks, where wellies & padded checkie (how do you spell that word?? :confused: ) shirts are still the fashion, seating is bales of hay, & the closest to aftershave you'll get is the rich aroma of slurry the guy was spreading in the fields that day!!!

Oh I'm blessed!!!!

Oh, yea, & back to the actual topic.

Go for it OP.
    I did & it's worked out brilliantly for me. (telling my best friend how I felt, that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd say go for it but have a look at what you said above. I'm just throwing it out there as a cautionary note, maybe he's not interested in girls. Perhaps he's gay? In any event, bite the bullet and you'll definitely find out one way or the other. Good luck with it.

Do they still have slow sets???

I don't think he is gay, I think he is just really quiet. I mean isn't loud about everything else and just shy about girls. He is just generally quiet.

You are all mentioning stuff we should do together...we do all that kinda stuff together all the time. We sit around listening to music, go to the cinema, go for coffee, go for walks in the park.

I've decieded I will tell him...eventually! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Gateway

Unreg...3 wrote:
    I've decieded I will tell him...eventually! :P

Are you going to wait till some other girl gets him? What then?

Why wait any longer your going to do it at some point. The bloke is into you or he wouldn't be going for walks in the park with you, he's just shy.

Bite the bullet and do it now. Be brave. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Now for the next problem....how do I tell him?

Just say hey by the way I like you...

I dunno I can just see it being really akward. We don't really drink a huge amount so dutch courage isn't really an option....

Unreg...3 wrote:
    I don't think he is gay.

Grand so.
    Unreg...3 wrote:

Yes, that's exactly it. Ask him to go for a walk with you. Somewhere rosemantic and the like. Tell him that you really like him and that you'd like to be around him/with him/ whatever way you want to put it.

It's that simply. Guys can be dumbwits when it comes to picking up hints that girls like them. You just need to S-P-E-L-L it out for him.

The very best of luck to you with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Gateway

Unreg...3 wrote:

I dunno I can just see it being really akward. We don't really drink a huge amount so dutch courage isn't really an option....

The girl I'm with now wrote me a funny email asking me out on a date. She gave me 4 options. I pick option number 1, which was to meet up for a date and she's now my angel! :D

Advertisement