Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Bus Service

Options
  • 27-06-2006 4:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Is terrible. They are so unreliable. Its so hard to depend on them for work purposes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They have actually gotten very bad lately. The major routes are still OK, but ones like the No 3 have degenerated awfully. I used the No 3 for work purposes back in February and had no issues, but I recently had to use it again for the bones of two weeks. No probs getting out to Blackpool in the morning, but the return in the evening was another story! The buses are scheduled to run every twenty minutes at that time of day, but you'd be lucky if one bus came along per hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I get the 222 and it's terrible(thankfully I won't be getting it so often during the summer months). You just never know if the bus will even show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The No. 8 used to wreck my head when I used to depend on it. You were better off walking home in the evenings because any time I tried waiting for it, I ended up waiting from an hour and a half to two hours. And it was scheduled every 15 mins!! Mornings weren't too bad but you could still only depend on every second bus showing up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The #2 is fairly regular and ususally has enough seats.
    But the #10 from Mahon on most evenings is standing room only & occasionally on time :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ivuernis

Manach wrote:
    The #2 is fairly regular and ususally has enough seats.
    But the #10 from Mahon on most evenings is standing room only & occasionally on time :rolleyes: .

Agreed, the No. 2 is generally very speedy thanks to the lack of traffic on its route. They only bottleneck is in the evenings when it hits town by Shalom Park. Thanks to the bottleneck to/from Mahon Point in the evenings teh No. 10 is wholly unreliable. On a whole the bus service is Cork is very poor but much of it due to traffic congestion rather than the bus service. That said it has many of its own faults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I get the 222 and it's terrible(thankfully I won't be getting it so often during the summer months). You just never know if the bus will even show up.

In fairness, the bus from Carrigaline has always been shocking... Anything up to 40 mins late was the norm a few years ago (and probably still is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

The no 14 to Togher in the evenings is desperate. The country services always seem to run on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

its awful alrite,they dont even have a seperate bus from cork to mallow have to use the ones going to limerick or galway,you could be waitng 4hours to get on a bus to cork if your lucky.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The number 10 used be good, but bloody Mahon Point really fúcked it up. I used get on at the first stop and always got a seat. Now I'm lucky if I get a seat, and sometimes I have to push my way through groups of teenagers just to get off when I'm on my way home.

At least it's calmed down from what it was though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Re: #10, you can usally still get a seat by it's second stop, but by the 3rd/4th there is a chance the bus goes passed as it is too full.

Still it is fun, continually trying to break the Guinness record attempt for most people on a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The thing that irritates me is that by making the number 10 service Mahon Point, they effectively doubled or tripled the amount of people taking that bus. However, they only increased the frequency of the buses by 5 minutes. Instead of a bus every 30 minutes, there's one every 25 mins. That's disgraceful, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

The eight is pretty rubbish, but the five seems to be suspiciously o.k at the moment... Give it a few weeks and it'll return to its usual unreliable self!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I hate the bus service! I get the 223 sometimes and it is ALWAYS packed. Not just busy, it actually has to avoid full bus stops a lot because it is so packed. They need to make them more frequent because there are lots of new houses, particularly in Passage. Now I tend to get the 6 or 7 to Douglas and get a lift home!

God I just realised I sound like an old woman giving out about the buses!:o
    In fact old women regularly start talking to me at bus stops and giving out about buses!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I get the no.7. It's a joke. You can't rely on it at all.
    It's supposed to come once every 15/20 minutes, you're lucky if it comes once an hour :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

was on the #2 the other morning. it ended up by sundays well, near blarney street on a road barely 12 feet across. got out and walked away. driver didn't know where he was going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dg101

The number two has been getting worse. It still is scheduled to be really regular, but a few times in the last few weeks I've been waiting for buses that just never showed up. Wouldn't have minded if it was just once or twice, but it's happened 5 or 6 times, and when the last bus just doesn't come it isn't good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NumLOCK

we should all log onto Bus Eireann website and log complaints about the service.

http://www.buseireann.ie/site/home/contact_us.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I remember waiting at the Victoria Cross bus stop waiting for the number 8 in order to go to work. I was early with plenty of time and the thing finally arrived 50 minutes late. the buses are supposed to be every 15 and I can honestly not understand how nearly an hour can go by before one shows up. three buses went in the opposite direction towards Bishopstown also.

The only reason I waited is I couldnt afford a taxi and I didnt know if the thing would arrive in 5 minutes or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dg101

The buses are evil like that, you wait for half an hour longer than you should, then you run in somewhere to use a bathroom and 3 or 4 buses go past. You come back out, you wait, and guess what, another hour of a wait.

*takes pills to calm down*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ger805726

maybe its the department of transport ye should be complaining to.bus eireann has the lowest funding per capita of all european countries.come the next general election when the heads come knockin on your door remember that.demand more funding for better fleet and more drivers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement