Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meatloaf recipe

• 27-06-2006 5:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Hey, I fancy cooking something I've never cooked before. Meatloaf is the dish of choice this weekend.

Has anyone cooked this before? Any tips or advice welcome!

I've read that its recommended to pierce the bottom of the loaf tin a couple times so the fat/grease drips out. If I don't pierce the bottom will the meatloaf just be soggy?

Also, I'm thinking of adding some vegimite or marmite to mix to give it nice taste, and maybe a bit of chilli soy for some spice. What do ya think?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

I'd use worcestershire sauce instead of marmite.
    But I hate marmite.

You can also use oatmeal instead of bread if you don't want it to go soggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Cool, thanks Spastafarian, oatmeal is porridge right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Does anyone have a recipe for this? Nothing too fancy, just something normal, like an average family would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

2 lb meatloaf mix (beef, pork, and veal)
    1 cup cooked oatmeal
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 cup chili sauce (ketchup-based)

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
    Mix together all ingredients except chili sauce using your hands. Transfer mixture to a 13- by 9-inch glass baking dish and mound into a 10- by 5-inch oval loaf. Spread chili sauce over meatloaf and bake 1 hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

I cooked this recipe for Cajun Meatloaf, it turned out lovely. Its got a nice spicy bite to it.

I used breadcrumbs instead of oatflakes and just used a bit more than the recipe said as the mixture looked a bit wet.

Also, couldnt find Andoiulle sausages anywere so I used Chorizo chopped and broken up into small bits.

Oh and instead of ground beef I used lean mince meat and browned it in the pan first and then drained the oil off before mixing it with the vegetable mixture.

I'd definately cook this again, everyone was happy with it ;)

Here is the recipe:
    2 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    4 tablespoons butter
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup evaporated milk
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    1/2 pound andouille sausage, casings removed
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 cup dried bread crumbs

DIRECTIONS:
    In a small bowl, combine the bay leaves, salt, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, ground white pepper, cumin, and nutmeg; set aside.
    Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, green onions, garlic, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and reserved seasoning mix. Saute until mixture starts sticking to the bottom of the pan, about 6 minutes. Stir in the milk and ketchup; continue cooking for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Remove vegetable mixture from heat, and allow to cool to room temperature. Place the beef and sausage in an ungreased 9x13 inch baking dish. Add the eggs, the vegetable mixture, and the bread crumbs. Remove the bay leaves. Mix well by hand, and form into a loaf about 1 1/2 inches high.
    Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Then raise heat to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and bake for another 35 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hillynicky

thanks for the recipes!

Advertisement