Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg raps Eircom over privacy breach

Options
  • 27-06-2006 7:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

23.06.2006 - Ireland’s largest operator Eircom has been notified by the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) that it is in breach of telecoms regulations. It is alleged Eircom retail sales agents were able to obtain other operators’ customer account numbers from the company’s wholesale database. ComReg said Eircom has one month to prove it has taken steps to resolve the matter.

The regulator announced that in a month’s time if it believes Eircom is not complying with regulations that it will apply to the High Court for an appropriate order, “including a financial penalty”.
    URL="http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single6641"]...[/URL

As ever, instead of punishing Eircom for it's blatant disregard of the rules - don't even think of telling me they didn't know they weren't supposed to do this - they say "naughty eircom, pwease pwease stop".

And no doubt if this issue was reported to the Competition Commission, they'd say "we don't wanna take on the big bully, don't wanna don't wanna don't wanna". This country'd make you f*cking sick sometimes.

Where's my domain registering wand? Is for-f*cks-sake-get-rid-of-that-vacuous-circlejerk-venue-before-we-all-end-up-living-in-sh*tting-mud-huts.com available?

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

It'll be the usual database bug that they've now fixed and ComReg will do a Bill O'Herlihy: "Okey-doke. We'll leave it there."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Seriously Damien, when does the Disband ComReg campaign start? I've been storing up all of my personal waste in preparation, and the place is getting woeful smelly like. The wellies are starting to melt like. The carpet's gone browner like.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I actually made a complaint to Comreg when this happened to me. I dont know if my complaint was the one that lead to this but basically the day that I got my final Smart confirmation through and we were all ready to go, I got two "cold calls" from Eircom asking if I wanted to buy their broadband product.
    I knew that they must have used the DB of customer changeovers, very crass stunt and in my call to Comreg I told them I thought that Eircom were abusing their competitive advantage.
    I'm glad to see it got somewhere even if it wasn't my complaint that started it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Seriously Damien, when does the Disband ComReg campaign start?
    ehhmmm thats last years news.

Campaign Slogan #332

"If it was MY dog I'd shoot it"

Advertisement