Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen suppliers

Options
  • 27-06-2006 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I am looking to put a kitchen into a new build (obviously!!)

Looking at some really nice kitchens such as Geba in Arena and also Concept kitchens. However the prices are incredible.

Has anyone any suggestions where I can get a high quality kitchen without paying the absorbant prices. Is it worthwjile getting a kitchen made? If so - will they have the little extras such as the corner units with shelves that come out, the easy glide etc etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Well,

When we wanted to have a new kitchen we did a lot of shopping around, but were put of by the prices. Even having one build was very expensive.

In the Neterhelands our kitchen came from Ikea. Perrrrrrrfect! But there is (still) no Ikea here in ROI, so we went to B&Q in Londonderry. 30% cheaper then here in Ireland.
    Solid wood, perfect service, perfect kitchen and for 60 pound Sterling they brought it home to Co. Mayo.
    We never spend a lot of money on things that are going to be replaced withing 6-7 years. (I.e. kitchen, bathroom, car)

We are going to build new this year and our kitchen wil, again, come from N-Ireland B&Q or Ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

Have a look in Habitat - do nice solid beech and a modern white one which won awards etc. Only cost us 5K and we're very happy with it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

twenty8 wrote:
    Has anyone any suggestions where I can get a high quality kitchen without paying the absorbant prices. Is it worthwjile getting a kitchen made? If so - will they have the little extras such as the corner units with shelves that come out, the easy glide etc etc.

I got all of that for €5k a year ago.
    Got it done by a chap that comes to the factory where I work to do the odd wood work job.
    He fits kitchens for a living and was recommended to me.
    I just went to a supplier, picked out the wood I wanted, and he collected it and built the kitchen for me. Great job.
    If you live in Dublin and want his number, drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Panelling centre/in-house (part of Grafton plc) sell perfectly good kitchens. You can buy most of the bits and pieces on fancier ranges too (such as glides for drawers). Only buy from their stock however, they are not very good at ordering things in. Push for a discount when ordering from stock. There is potentially 40 percent to be had on a lot of things.

It's all about price point. If you really want the fancy stuff (the pneumatic drawers, corian counters, that sort of stuff) it is gonna cost more.

The most important thing with a kitchen though, is layout. Try to design things simply and logically, leave enough of counter space, try not to have the storage too deep, and have the sink at a window if you can. I have seen a couple of places where 15 grand kitchens have been fitted with the sink having no view of the window, often for no good reason. This is just bad design.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

Well there are kitchens for every budget. :)

They'd start at about €3,000 for a mass produced kitchen from large manufacturers like Cash and Carry, these would be mostly chipboard and MDF kitchens, possibly with solid timber doors. Quality can vary as prices may go as high as €10,000 even from the supposedly 'cheaper' suppliers. They'd have a large range of modular cabinets but they don't do custom made kitchens. I think these kitchens represent good value for money, you do get a lot for your money.

Individual cabinet makers and cabinet making shops would be able to provide a customised kitchen as you desire, using hardwood materials and top end items like granite worktops if required. Prices may range from €5,000 minimum, more likely €10,000 to €20,000. The difference should be visible and the levels of service should be higher. Probably solid wood throughout, no laminated or man made boards. A local shop could probably compete with the largest and cheapest manufacturers on price and beat them on quality but I don't think they'd want to, it would require a drop in prices and profit.

At the top end of the market you have true handcrafted and handfinished kitchens using first rate materials and beautifully made. The types of kitchens you would see in Country Living magazine or similar. These kitchens would routinely sell for €20,000 to €40,000. But the companies that command these prices do so on reputation, proven history and flawless craftsmanship.... (well sometimes I wonder, they are human after all... the point is though, they charge so much they will presumably come back to fix any detail that's amiss). Highest levels of service guaranteed. (Check out DeVOL in the UK)

So I don't think the prices are necessarily exorbirant, a lot of products like clothes and cars also vary hugely in price. I have heard of quotes around €70,000...:eek: some top UK websites have £30,000 to £35,000 Sterling as a guide price.

Warning: I make furniture for a living so maybe I'm biased. :) lol

Cheers
    Joe

Custom Pine Furniture - Co. Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

thanks for that breakdown. Still no idea where to go. May keep looking.

Fun times ahead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you want to maximize resale value, the important thing is to keep everything in proportion. If it is a 2 million euro property, it might be worth spending a bit more. If it is a 3-bed semi, keep the cost much lower, because you probably won't get your money back from something fancy. You can buy most of the little gizmos like the fancy corner units for a cheaper kitchen. Generally when you pay more you are paying for materials and the custom fit and service.

If you aren't worried about resale value, just buy what you like/can afford. Like Joe says, the expensive kitchens aren't necessarily bad value. A lot goes into them. Whether it's worth it depends on you, not the kitchen.

Just remember, a well laid-out cheap kitchen will always be better than a badly laid out expensive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Munster06

Bought a Kitchen today from B&Q. Solid wood and great quality. 50% off all of the doors and 15% off the final price. Shipping from UK €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I got a Cherry kitchen from Cash & Carry for €3000 when other suppliers wanted €5000 for similar. Quality is perfectly acceptable IMO.
    Used the money we saved to get a Black Granite worktop. Shopped around for that too. Supplier here in Muliingar wanted €3000, one in Longford wanted €1800, finally bought off Sanderwood Stone in Daingain, Co. Offaly for €1400 fitted! Only grip is they didn't polish and chamfer the joint.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement