Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 ......should I ???

• 27-06-2006 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

My sister got a free upgrade of a N70 on O2 UK but isnt bothered about 3G so she said if it worked with a O2 Ireland SIM she would give it to me, anyway we tried it and suprise suprise it actually worked fine . So Im thinking of switching to Speakeasy as any other way of getting a N70 is €300 on pay as you go. I would appreciate any advice on why to or why not to go to O2 as I havnt much experience with them for years now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Dellas wrote:
    My sister got a free upgrade of a N70 on O2 UK but isnt bothered about 3G so she said if it worked with a O2 Ireland SIM she would give it to me, anyway we tried it and suprise suprise it actually worked fine . So Im thinking of switching to Speakeasy as any other way of getting a N70 is €300 on pay as you go. I would appreciate any advice on why to or why not to go to O2 as I havnt much experience with them for years now.

Surely any sim would work in it then, as o2 UK and o2 Irl have different locks.
    O2 are very expensive so don't unless you have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Well I took the plunge and got a Speakeasy SIM pack for 14.99 the N70 is unlocked but all the software was O2 so I guess its better to go with O2. I am pleased with it so far and even get a weak 3g signal where with VF I had none.

I dont think I would have got VF live with a N70 phone with O2 software!!! Correct me if Im wrong .

After looking at their website I see they have 5c text bundles and the early bird rates are not too bad.

O2 are grand once you don't make too many off-net calls on prepaid at peak rates. Reliable network, good coverage and decent service, never had a problem with them... except that my entire family are on Vodafone which isn't pleasant on my pocket.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Bloody families. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Dellas wrote:
    I dont think I would have got VF live with a N70 phone with O2 software!!! Correct me if Im wrong .

Why wouldn't it? Those are just settings in the WAP profile. Settings you can get from Nokia over the air. I'm sure it's no big deal to get it work on 3's network either.

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    Why wouldn't it? Those are just settings in the WAP profile. Settings you can get from Nokia over the air. I'm sure it's no big deal to get it work on 3's network either.
    Well Vodafone tend to set the user agent of the phone differently to a stock model to block non-Vodafone handsets from accessing Live. For example, the Motorola RAZR V3 on Vodafone is reported by the handset as a V3v rather than simply a V3.

I don't know if Nokias are the same but its quite possible.

Well I tried to get VF live on a unlocked 3 V975 and I had all the VF settings in it and it didnt work. It needed VF software loaded onto it .

Dellas wrote:
    Well I tried to get VF live on a unlocked 3 V975 and I had all the VF settings in it and it didnt work. It needed VF software loaded onto it .
    It's probably reporting itself as a V980 now. I got a V535 to work by changing it to report as a V550.

Did you get all the VF Live services and logos etc...??? I may try it !!!

I did, and that was with stock firmware!

• Advertisement

Cool I must try it tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

If that doesn't work you can just get it reflashed with the Vodafone software for free through the Mobile Phone Repair Company (MPRC) in Sandyford or the Telephone Centre on Dawson St. It will sort it out straight away.

philcsl wrote:
    If that doesn't work you can just get it reflashed with the Vodafone software for free through the Mobile Phone Repair Company (MPRC) in Sandyford or the Telephone Centre on Dawson St. It will sort it out straight away.

Hi thanks for the info, well I tried it tonight, I got onto the Nokia site and got the settings for VF sent to me and it works!! I was totally suprised when it did. I got the Live menu etc... havnt tested the free TV though as Im not in 3G coverage until I go to work tomorrow but I guess it will work and I should be able to make video calls etc....if this all works then im as happy as larry. I will use both O2 and Vf 3G services, O2's apparantley should be up in the next few months and if its like the UK they will have some good stuff and the free international texts on O2 website is worth keeping it topped by by 5 euro every six months just to keep those.

Ok tried it at work today and had problems getting Mobile TV and downloading. It said ''Define access point'' I couldnt think of what could be wrong so I called VF and got a great guy who told me to set the real player settings to default to VF Live settings . Once I did that it worked fine and also tried a video call and worked fine too so I can use both O2 and VF. Glad it worked didnt think it would.

Well as Pythia said above, if it worked on O2 Ireland it should work on anything. The phone is unlocked so all is cool.

Advertisement