Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

badge or no badge

Options
  • 27-06-2006 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

just a quick vox pop........... do you prefer to have a badge on the boot detailing model and spec, eg e220 cdi, 525i or nothing, you know afterall so why advertise it ?

me, prefer to have nothing.

oleras.

p.s. maybe a mod can add a poll if they like, i dont know how...lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Our current car is badged and it has never bothered me.

I know we could have ordered it debadged at the time, but we didn't think about it. Then again it's only a 1.6 so nothing to shout about.

Perhaps if I had a more powerful car I would think about having it debadged.

I don't think you're advertising anything with the badge anyway. People who know their cars will be able to tell the model/spec anyway.

So I guess if a poll is created for this, I will choose Atari Jaguar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tough one - don't have a particularly powerful car, but if I did get it debadged, people would probably assume it's the baseline 316 which always seems to get debadged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Perhaps if I had a more powerful car I would think about having it debadged.

QUOTE]

I don't understant the logic of that as the cc will be on the tax disc (if taxed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Im debadged,

My car looks a lot cleaner imo.

Actually, doesn't the baseline Mark IV golf come debadged as standard (engine size badge)? Only the 1.6 and up come with engine size badges from what I can tell...

• Advertisement

When I bought my car it was unbadged or debadged so I rebadged it as I thought it didn't look right. Each to his own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

When I see a debadged car I aways assume it's the crappiest model in the range. In fact debadging is not too far removed from cars having fake badging on them.

el tel wrote:
    When I see a debadged car I aways assume it's the crappiest model in the range. In fact debadging is not too far removed from cars having fake badging on them.

Hear Hear - 316 Beamers with M3 badges!

I don't understant the logic of that as the cc will be on the tax disc (if taxed).

True, but someone would have to come up to the windscreen to see the disc.

As I said earlier, I didn't think about it when ordering my car and it wouldn't be even on my list of criteria for choosing my next car.

It's not that important, although when you consider that boy racers like to debadge to conceal their puny Micra's 1 litre engine, perhaps thats a valid arguement to badge your car!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Debadged. It's easier to clean, and it doesn't bring out the competitive streak in kid drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Those who know, don't need to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

It's not that important, although when you consider that boy racers like to debadge to conceal their puny Micra's 1 litre engine, perhaps thats a valid arguement to badge your car!

Careful now, not all car modders are 17 and drive micras.

All of my mates cars who drive suped up Integras are 24+. All debadged too.

layke wrote:
    Careful now, not all car modders are 17 and drive micras.

All of my mates cars who drive suped up Integras are 24+. All debadged too.

Where did I say car modders?

I recognise the difference between someone who takes time to work on the engine (as well as the bodywork) and teenagers who debadge and put a wing on their mother's Micra or Charade!

Not to mention fartcans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I've removed the Toyota cowboy hat from the front of my MR2 and replaced it with a J-Spec one that looks like the black one here:

3.jpg

I'm not in love with the logo or meaningless "midship runabout" Engrish, but I really hated that big cowboy hat and it's mounted into holes in the bonnet, so you have to replace it with something.

I've also taken the Toyota badge off of the back and left the MR2 badge and replaced the steering wheel cowboy hat with one that also says midship runabout.

It is pretty entertaining to watch people trying to figure out what kind of car it is. I may yet remove the MR2 off the back and also replace the cowboy-hatted wheel caps. I kinda like the no-logo look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Ive taken mine off too,front and back.Chances are some little scrote would pull off the vtec badge at some stage anyway for there bmx so i beat them to it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Leave the badging on. Tell the truth.

Hear Hear - 316 Beamers with M3 badges!

Are you sure they are not just M badges which many 3 series have because they choose the sport packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

el tel wrote:
    When I see a debadged car I aways assume it's the crappiest model in the range.

Same here! Why else would you debadge it?

ronoc wrote:
    Are you sure they are not just M badges which many 3 series have because they choose the sport packages.

I was referring to bog standard models with plastic wheel trims and narrow wheels etc. with M3 badges.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

Friend of mine had a V6 4motion Passat and he debadged it after a few incidents. One when he was being followed home and a few cases of people trying to goad him into a race.

Now it looks like a bog standard 1.6 to the untrained eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Mine had 214i in a chrome badge, but after 10 years the chrome wore off down to the black. I debadged mine and I think it looks better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

I get perverse pleasure from the idea of owning a 2.3L (or the 4motion, but I'm guessing that would have sporty bodykit?) Bora badged as a 1.4 with steel wheels, and seeing the shocked faces of boy racers everywhere:D

But then I remember that I'd still own a Bora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

bspoke wrote:
    Friend of mine had a V6 4motion Passat and he debadged it after a few incidents. One when he was being followed home and a few cases of people trying to goad him into a race.

Now it looks like a bog standard 1.6 to the untrained eye

Trouble is the kind of people that want to steal a 4mothion passat have a trained eye, exhausts would be a dead giveaway, as would brake discs. though to yor average punter it would look normal right enough.

Friend of mine has a 1.4 golf , but has a 1.8T badge on it, bought from eBay - looks real, but doesn't match with base trim so I skit him the whole time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

bogmanfan wrote:
    Same here! Why else would you debadge it?

Lots of reasons. Here are three:

1) you find the badging cheap and ugly looking;

2) you don't believe in advertising for free;

3) your car is rare and debadging keeps them guessing what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Kermitt wrote:
    Friend of mine has a 1.4 golf , but has a 1.8T badge on it, ...I skit him the whole time!!
    Rightly so, rightly so! The kind of people who do this secretly want to be ladyboys - looks ok at first glance but when you get closer you realise there's something horribly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

generally if there's no badge it's because it's a lower spec and people don't want to advertise that!

Does debadging refer to just the engine size and trim level, or the make as well? I think getting rid of the front emblem could make for a duller looking car in a good few examples.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

De-badged is more aesthetically pleasing IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm actually thinking about de-badging mine at the moment, I'm so fed of people, going "jesus - 2.5ltr that must cost ya a fortune to run" and then of course you get the ones that ask you what "AWD" stands for!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Seem like a lot of it came from modifiers wanting to flush panels on their cars. Personally I wouldn't take badging off a car. Seems pointless - as pointless as as an exhaust the size of a sewer pipe on the back of a civic - or any car ever made by Rover - just pointless!!

Advertisement