Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

badge or no badge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Kermitt wrote:
    Trouble is the kind of people that want to steal a 4mothion passat have a trained eye, exhausts would be a dead giveaway, as would brake discs. though to yor average punter it would look normal right enough.

Friend of mine has a 1.4 golf , but has a 1.8T badge on it, bought from eBay - looks real, but doesn't match with base trim so I skit him the whole time!!
    But a 1.8T has two exhausts...

That's just wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

steve06 wrote:
    generally if there's no badge it's because it's a lower spec and people don't want to advertise that!

The only function of a rear badge is to tell those behind you how big your engine is. Not being insecure enough to feel the need to advertise the size of my engine to people I don't even know, I can happily live without the badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

Anan1 wrote:
    The only function of a rear badge is to tell those behind you how big your engine is. Not being insecure enough to feel the need to advertise the size of my engine to people I don't even know, I can happily live without the badge.

It probably also comes in useful when it comes to buying/selling as a badge kinda identifies what model the car is and sorta reassures the prospective buyer that the seller hasn't done any other half-arsed modifications to the vehicle.

It probably also comes in useful when it comes to buying/selling as a badge kinda identifies what model the car is and sorta reassures the prospective buyer that the seller hasn't done any other half-arsed modifications to the vehicle.

Badge delete is a factory option on many makes of car. I can't see how the absence of a power badge would indicate that the car might have been modified. It would also be a very simple buyer who relied on the badge to identify what model the car is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I know of someone who had his BMW M5 robbed off him - they came into his bedroom and demanded the keys. He has another M5 now, badged as a 520i though.

I debadged my current and previous cars as I think it looks cleaner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

Anan1 wrote:
    Badge delete is a factory option on many makes of car. I can't see how the absence of a power badge would indicate that the car might have been modified. It would also be a very simple buyer who relied on the badge to identify what model the car is.

Point taken on the badge delete. I take it this is more likely with higher-end vehicles? I was referring to the more run-of-the-mill cars which are owner debadged.

As for
    Anan1 wrote:
    a very simple buyer
    that's pretty much 99% of the buyers in Ireland :D

Point taken on the badge delete. I take it this is more likely with higher-end vehicles?

That's an interesting question. I'd imagine there are 3 main reasons for badge delete:

1. Small engine, owner doesn't want strangers to know this.

2. Big engine, owner doesn't want strangers to know this.

3. Aesthetic.

Funnily enough, 1. & 2. actually complement each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My Audi has top end spec but has a horrid 1.8 badge on the back! I'll have to de-badge and get my pride back!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

mike65 wrote:
    My Audi has top end spec but has a horrid 1.8 badge on the back! I'll have to de-badge and get my pride back!

Mike.

Or turn it upside down so people may think you have an 8.1 planet killer of an engine?

I like! Maybe I can find a V from somewhere and chop the 1 ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Darando

kdevitt wrote:
    I know of someone who had his BMW M5 robbed off him - they came into his bedroom and demanded the keys.

That doesnt sound too pleasant an experience. Worst nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I really hate when people de-badge, then re-badge with completely wrong badges.

One of my neighbours has a Prelude with "X Type" from a Jag, on the back

Saw a Fiesta with "Type R" badges from a Honda on it.

A customer at work has an Avensis D-4D, he replaced the D-4D badge with a VW TDI badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

colm_mcm wrote:
    I really hate when people de-badge, then re-badge with completely wrong badges.

One of my neighbours has a Prelude with "X Type" from a Jag, on the back

Saw a Fiesta with "Type R" badges from a Honda on it.

A customer at work has an Avensis D-4D, he replaced the D-4D badge with a VW TDI badge.

i would puke!
    i saw a '90 starlet in Tallow with the front bumper cut up, it had TRD in blue spraypaint stencilled across the radiator. i nearly crashed with laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Definitely a fan of removing the badge, have had it taken off the last two cars I bought. No interest in advertising the engine in the car to people.

cantdecide wrote:
    i would puke!
    i saw a '90 starlet in Tallow with the front bumper cut up, it had TRD in blue spraypaint stencilled across the radiator. i nearly crashed with laughter.

Maybe they couldn't spell "TURD"

Oh, I saw a Micra in Palmerstown a few months with "TWIN CAN" written in huge writing on the side!

I love the nailed on Turbo badge myself.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Haha, this reminds me of an old mate some years ago who had an Opel Kadett! He had replaced the front Opel badge with a Ferrari one. Then one night, somebody had ripped off the Ferrari badge, along with half the grill! :D

It could have been a Ferrari with a Kadett body

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

colm_mcm wrote:
    It could have been a Ferrari with a Kadett body
    Highly unlikely with a 1.2L engine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'm looking to buy either a saxo VTS or 206 Gti at the moment, if I get the Gti my first and only 'mod' will to be replace all the Gti badges with 1.1 lx or whatever the ****tiest spec is.

Suprise all the boy racers and bmw execs at the lights :D

• Advertisement

Anyone who races 1.1 LX 206's at the lights probably isn't worth impressing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

hehe true enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I recently took the badge off my golf. It's a 1.6 high line model so not the base. I think the back looks nicer with just the VW badge. I don't see the point in telling other people what size engine your car has. Nothing wrecks my head more then spas that put fake badges on their cars. Happens a lot with goons putting GTi badges on a base model golf. You can spot them a mile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Theres absolutely no reason to debadge a car unless you have something to hide like the fact its its bog standard 316 with alloys ticked on the options list.

All fur coat and no nickers.

The only thing that upsets me more is incorrect badging

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

el tel wrote:
    When I see a debadged car I aways assume it's the crappiest model in the range

That's the main reason I debadge. The higher up the range the car is, the more I would feel the need to debadge

Something I noticed:

In Ireland the majority of debadged cars are low end within the range (i.e. BMW 316 debadged but perhaps with M badges)

In Continental Europe, many debadged cars are higher end (i.e. BMW 745)

Comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

cantdecide wrote:
    i would puke!

Sounds like a turbo starlet with trd intercooler so may not have been totally rice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

:D

2cvturbo_village.jpg

2cvturbo_closeup.jpg

^ That's just ironic humour on the owner's part though. Re "Fiesta Type-R -type wrong badges", I saw a completely standard, poverty spec, mid 90's VW Polo with a "VTS" badge on it the other day I do wonder what the thinking was there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

kdevitt wrote:
    I know of someone who had his BMW M5 robbed off him - they came into his bedroom and demanded the keys. He has another M5 now, badged as a 520i though.

I debadged my current and previous cars as I think it looks cleaner.

Im amazed it took 36 posts before someone said security is a big reason to debadge.... Im debadging my car, it just causes to much hassle with little racers riding my a$$ all the time, plus it would ease the mind a little at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think it happens mostly with BMW's anyway, because people in a 316i without a badge could be driving a 320 for all anyone else knows....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I have the opposite problem in that people see the GTI on the back of my Polo and reckon I've been furtively buying go faster badges from fleabay. Suits me as the only guff I get from boy racers is a look of bemusement. Oh they'll know every insurance loophole ****ebox Jap import coupe relic from the early 90s with a near autistic zeal alright, but a quick Polo seems to be beyond them.

I might go one step further and go for stickers. "Full drift spec FWD Type-RZzzzzz" and the obligatory "shopping list" on the front wing before the door.

Advertisement