Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

badge or no badge

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

turbo wrote:
    nope, but it has the works exhaust

OK, so why does it have a sticker in the rear windscreen saying that it is a Cooper S Works? Kinda defeats the aim of the debadging, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

Ernie Ball wrote:
    OK, so why does it have a sticker in the rear windscreen saying that it is a Cooper S Works? Kinda defeats the aim of the debadging, no?

i've been meaning to take that off ;)
    its a garage sticker from the John Cooper works garage in Oxford

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ernie Ball wrote:

yes it's a bit like those who debadge their BMW even though they have reserved an appropriate registration - 06 D 540 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

yes it's a bit like those who debadge their BMW even though they have reserved an appropriate registration - 06 D 540 etc.

i think its a bit different to that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My thoughts on de-badging would be to reduce the amount of interest in a car.

I am currently deciding wether or not to de-badge mine.
    Why do I need to advertise the cars engine size?
    Do I care if some others assume it is a low spec car with a small engine just because there is no badge?
    Will debadging it make less desirable to thiefs/joyriders, as they will probably know the cars details from other features?

All in all, I think I will de-badge. It can't do any harm. I bought the engine for me, not to impress the driver of the car behind me.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    My thoughts on de-badging would be to reduce the amount of interest in a car.

On my MR2 Roadster, the partial debadging has had the opposite effect. People stare at the JDM nose badge trying to figure out what it is.

Ernie Ball wrote:
    On my MR2 Roadster, the partial debadging has had the opposite effect. People stare at the JDM nose badge trying to figure out what it is.

Well your is a rather unique situation too be fair. If it had a std toyota badge on the nose this wouldn't happen.

prospect wrote:
    Well your is a rather unique situation too be fair. If it had a std toyota badge on the nose this wouldn't happen.

I agree. This would only happen with cars that are either uncommon or aren't otherwise easily identifiable. It's not hard to know that a BMW is a BMW or that a Golf is a Golf. A debadged NSX, however, would get a lot of attention (not that I'm comparing my little car to one!).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ernie Ball wrote:

LOL :D

Ernie Ball wrote:
    I agree. This would only happen with cars that are either uncommon or aren't otherwise easily identifiable. It's not hard to know that a BMW is a BMW or that a Golf is a Golf. A debadged NSX, however, would get a lot of attention (not that I'm comparing my little car to one!).

Agreed,
    So you think I am wasting my time taking the Veyron badge off my car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

prospect wrote:
    Agreed,
    So you think I am wasting my time taking the Veyron badge off my car?

Is is a Micra with a Veyron badge? should probably take it off, if so

eoin_s wrote:
    Is is a Micra with a Veyron badge? should probably take it off, if so

Tut Tut Tut the cheek of you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

eoin_s wrote:
    An M badge doesn't infer bigger engine size, it only refers to the wheels and bodykit.

Incorrect,
    It does actually infer a more powerfull engine, I was the owner of a 528i M.
    So I think I'm qualified to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Well on the badge thing... Last night in Celbridge I was walking into a car park and saw a E36 3 series coming towards me, its a narrow road to I stepped back to let him out. No wave or nod so thought to myself "what a cnut".....

Then I noticed his ///M Badge on the back, funny tho' I never new M3s came with rear drums :rolleyes: Anyway he then tried to get the back out when pulling out onto the road with very little luck. I don't understand why people do it. Anyone that knows what an M3 is would know that wasn't one.

CPG wrote:
    Incorrect,

But was the 528i not available as a non-M car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Eoin - you're right, CPG is wrong. M badge is for cars equipped with MTechnic goodies - which can be as insignificant as a different gearknob. Has nothing at all to do with the power of the engine.

M3 badge/M5 badge is a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

CPG wrote:
    Incorrect,
    It does actually infer a more powerfull engine

No it doesn't. Engines have the same power as non M sport equivalents
    CPG wrote:
    I was the owner of a 528i M. So I think I'm qualified to comment.

Obviously not...

@kdevitt & Unkel - Thanks for the clarification!

CPG, don't hurt yourself climbing down from that high horse ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

Hmm I can see the sense in debadging the old model golf GTI if you wanted to avoid problems with security etc. and didnt mind what ppl thought of it, it looks the same as a 1.4 IMO - the new one on the other hand has loads of different features that stand out though - the callipers are a big giveaway! - not to mention the grill!

Cant see the point in debadging 'small' cars (such as my fiesta) - I mean - whats the point? I once saw a fiesta (pretty sure it had rubber bumpers - so not a ghia) with a ghia badge on each side of the boot and no fiesta badges?!
    (my ghia has no badges on the boot, they're next to the side indicators!) why put these badges on the boot?! 2bh ghia just means you get some colourful bumpers and styling bits - I wouldnt consider it anything to shout about and/or aspire to. well I suppose it would have been more ridiculous if it was a fiesta GTI!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

CPG wrote:
    Incorrect,
    So I think I'm qualified to comment.

Keep thinking!!! :p

I think that some cars look better debadged, such as Golfs and their ilk (I personally think that those 1.4/1.6 make a nice looking car look naff).

• Advertisement
Advertisement